B/C Gap

So I received my Smoke Wagon back.
They changed the cylinder and now the Gap is .0035 which is great.
However now the cylinders serial numbers do not match the frame.
Also the chambers are under sized, on the original cylinder the chambers were perfect.
Send it back again or call it a day ?

So, what are you calling undersized, that is, what are the measurements? Your original B/C gap was probably better for real black-powder ammo. But what's done is done. you can only move forward.

Did they fix the front sight cant? That was really the only problem with the gun before you sent it in.
Yeah, probably not really great, but hopefully workable if you don't plan to shoot it much in any given range session with lubed lead bullets. It was probably better before.

Did they fix the front sight cant? That was really the only problem with the gun before you sent it in.

Yeah, probably not really great, but hopefully workable if you don't plan to shoot it much in any given range session with lubed lead bullets. It was probably better before.

Front sight looks straight now, have not shot it yet.
I am super happy with the .0035, I can always open it up a tad if need be, but I have never had an issue with binding with a small gap.
On the other hand I have had issues with a large gap (blow by).
I think I may keep it as is and send the cylinder out to have the chambers opened up to .4525

Again, moving forward; if the groove diameter of the barrel is no larger than the cylinder throats, it may shoot fine just the way it is. It will probably be OK with jacketed bullets, but a 45 Colt is at its best with cast lead bullets, that aren't too hard. About like straight wheel-weights is ideal. If it won't shoot those well with about 8 or so grains of Unique powder, I'd be looking into getting the cylinder-throats reamed. While .4525 may be just right, it could be not big enough. Slug the barrel and measure the diameter of the slug. Then ream the cylinder-throats to be just a little larger, perhaps .001" over the groove diameter of the barrel's rifling. Then make sure your cast bullets are at least as big in diameter as the throats; perhaps even .001" larger would be good. You'd think that they ought to know how to get this all correct from the factory, but it's an age-old problem common to this caliber, as well as some others from the same era. It's one of the reasons why I tell most people that they would be better off just buying a 44 magnum. But for those of us that have some inner need that compels us to tinker and briggle with things of this nature, and just can't leave well-enough-alone; the 45 Colt provides ample opportunity to fulfill that urge in a way that a Super Blackhawk that shoots excellent from the box, simply can't.;)

Back