Az Lion Down!

huntinaz

Went out this afternoon for some predator calling. I've been taking my girls (6yrs and 4yrs) with me and they dig it. They have been my good luck charms and boy they didn't disappoint today. We walked an old logging road I'd been eyeing for years for 500-600 yards until we came to a good spot. I was targeting fox and bobcat and in AZ that's usually lion country as well. I had one girl on each side of me and a camo blanket over us. They sit reasonably still with their beanies and earmuffs on :)

At about the 12 minute mark, first stand, I was looking off to my left at the canyon side and my oldest daughter whispered "coyote, coyote." I look to where she pointed and saw an animal coming, I immediately got my youngest on the right to see it and she nodded. It was behind some trees trotting in, I got the scattergun up and waited. It appeared about 30-40 yards facing us and I thought "nice big tom bobcat" not remembering the animal I saw before had a tail. I shot and it stumbled then leaped in the air. I saw the tail then and thought "holy crap!"

It ran broadside thru some trees and I shot twice more. As it cleared the trees, 40-50 yards estimated, I had a good bead on it as it quartered away. The next two shots were visual hits, it arched and stumbled both times. As we watched, me out of shells, it hopped out of sight. I knew it was hit bad, it couldn't run and it stumbled and rolled twice before hobbling out of sight. Three visual hits. Since I was out of shells (moron) I got the girls back to the truck. I had one shot left in the truck but didn't want to leave the girls behind so I called some help. I went home, met my sister and her boyfriend, got more shells and he and I headed back out. A friend of mine had dogs but lives an hour away. He headed our way but due to unforeseen road closures he couldn't make it before dark. So we headed to the spot and found it dead about where I'd last seen it. I figured that was the case but didn't want to go in with my girls after a hurt lion.

Nice tom!:

Wish it would have fell in site, would have loved for the girls to see it down.

Picks back at the house came out pretty crappy which is extremely unfortunate. Hopefully somebody got a good one, there were a few people taking pictures.

Weighed him at 118lbs. Couldn't have asked for an easier walk out but it was still a bear. I've been calling 6 years, mostly in cat country, very very excited to get this cat. I've been wanting one forever but was still super surprised when he came in. Anyway I'm pretty jacked, check him in to G&F tomorrow and then to the taxidermist!

Last edited:
I had absolutely no idea we had cats that big in the god blessed u s of a. that' nutzo. very big congratulations to you my friend

Congrats.

I had absolutely no idea we had cats that big in the god blessed u s of a.
Oh, yea. Big Toms will exceed 200 lbs in some areas.

Around here, the average weights run about 90 lbs for females and about 130 lbs for males. It's best to avoid picking a fight, unless you're armed.

I have plenty of dry stands that don't get posted

Yea, but we all do, that's why it's called hunting and not killing.:)
You still did a good job; I bet your daughters eyes were big when they got a look at that big kitty up close.
By the way in my opinion you are certainly starting your girls out right.
Congratulations again on a successful hunt.;)

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Thanks for sharing !!!

That is terrific and what in the world, are you feeding them out there? ... :eek:
I once saw a full body mount at one of our Deer-Classic shows and thought it rather impressive. That one looked like a kitten compared to yours. .... ;)

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Congratulations!

I'm guessing you'll be packing a little more firepower on your next varmint hunt for those unexpected extra big bobcats. :D

What was that shotgun loaded with?

First shot was Federal 3" #4 buck. I believe this was unplated. The rest was Estate 2 3/4" #4 buck. Found buckshot all over during skinning and butchering, under the hide and in the meat. First shot was facing me, last shot was basically going away. I'm ordering some copper plated stuff I think to mix in. The Estate stuff works great for bobcats and fox.

Super nice cat AZ, what came to your mind when you realized you might not have been the only hunter out there?

That'll make a beautiful rug mount...
Right on!

Hooligan:

It was a good reminder but I figure I'm rarely the only hunter on the mountain. There's a whole lot of good lion country and I'm usually hunting other game in it. I see tracks at tanks and guys I know who run trail cams all have pictures. Az annual harvest averages 250-350 lions per year so they are not uncommon. I don't fear them, they know to keep their distance from humans. Attacks on humans are rare, and usually along known hiking trails where lion sightings are common. Those are the cats that scare me.

Also when they are wounded. When we finally got around to looking for him, I was very glad he was dead!

Beautiful cat!! congrats, that would make a nice full mount from the taxidermist
Oh...and THAT'S why I carry a snub nose model 66 in my back pocket when I hunt.:)

Back