Axis 99 cent trigger job.

Trust me. I wasn't trying to fall on it! When you are walks over rough ground, things happen. I probably have dropped my bolt gun too, but I forget. I'm not trying to drop loaded guns, but we all have to be prepared for the highly likely event we do!

Trust me. I wasn't trying to fall on it! When you are walks over rough ground, things happen. I probably have dropped my bolt gun too, but I forget. I'm not trying to drop loaded guns, but we all have to be prepared for the highly likely event we do!
Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to offend. I understand accidents happen. I was just saying I don't carry around my guns loaded much (I don't go hunting much either, so that's probably why :p). I can certainly see where someone could fall on one by accident (especially around here, as it is quite hilly and rocky terrain).

I clipped two coils off my spring and stoned ever so slightly.
I got about a 2.5 lbs spectacular trigger pull.
But ---

When I first re-assembled the rifle -
With the safety on, then released, the rifle fired. In other words, with the finger off the trigger, when you released the safety it would fire the gun.
Every time.

I adjusted what I believe is the over travel screw? Tightened it.
It performs as it should every time now.
Of course the rifle was safely tested the first time,and many times after.
If I hunted with the rifle I may have replaced the trigger.
I never use the safety as I only target practice and the weapon is either unloaded or being fired.
I make sure to test the safety however at each range session.
Should the rifle leave my possession I would want it to be 100 percent.

Last edited:
Jim567 said:
I adjusted what I believe is the over travel screw? Tightened it.

The Savage Axis does not have an overtravel screw from the factory, What you may have adjusted is the safety screw, which would explain why you were having trouble with the safety not working.

My Axis trigger is a consistent 50 oz using this method:

http://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/diy-savage-axis-trigger-job/

After trying a couple springs I ended up using 3/16x5/8x.016 and turned the threads down on the overtravel screw to fit the spring. From what I've seen the Axis trigger is reliable down to about 3 lbs, if you get it down to about 2 1/2 lbs the factory design can be unreliable, get a Rifle Basix or Timney if you want it lighter.

Last edited:
Back