Axis 99 cent trigger job.

baddarryl

Hi all. I got a .243 youth for my kids. While it is plenty accurate I hated the trigger weight. My trusty fish scale says it was around 7 1/2 pounds. The trigger spring is easily removed and replaced with a set screw and a lighter spring. That is all it took to cut my pull in half. I used a 10-24 set screw and a little locktight to hold the screw, and a 7/32 by 1 3/4" .13 Forney spring. Forney part 10-650. It comes at 1 3/34, but I cut mine to 1 5/8" based on something I read elsewhere. Very easy to do and well worth it. I hate lawyer triggers! Search Utube for details.

Last edited:
Thats what i did, still worst trigger i have not worth investing anything else into. Still is an MOA gun with federal blue box.

I've yet to try anything on my Axis yet, as I want to get a baseline for accuracy before I change anything. But I have an idea what I will do once I get it out and shooting. Still need a scope, but that will be taken care of.

I have also seen it done with pencil springs etc., but I went off the recommendation of a measured spring by someone else. I found the spring at my local hardware store easily. My weight is a little lighter as they recommended .15 but .13 worked great as that is what they had. I think with a little trial and error there is a little wiggle room. I have also read that you can easily shim the trigger to get the wobble out of it with a brass washer that my may have to thinned a little.

Upstate81: I felt this to be very well worth it.

Trimming the original spring probably cut the pull weight in half which is leaps and bounds better than when i first pulled it. Originally it was so bad it reminded me of my 10/22 trigger before that was replaced. Suits my needs very well now.

I used a set screw and a spring out of a ball point pen for the trigger job on my Axis. I also did some slight stoning and polishing at the trigger/sear engagement point. I got it down to where it would break between 2.25 and 2.5 pounds with virtually no creep and still passed the "bump test". I decided that was good enough and quit while I was ahead. Once you take too much you can't put it back.

I'd bet my daughter's Axis comes in around 4- 5 lbs right now. She doesn't complain and I feel that adds an element of safety as she is young.

When she gets a few years older, I'll probably put a Rifle Basix trigger on it. It's a shooter as-is. Clipping a couple of coils helped a lot.

My 14 year old daughter shoots a youth model Axis in .223, she target shoots (no hunting). Her favorite is the 200 yd target at our range, her and that rifle are capable of near minute of angle so I spent the $109.00 for the Timney trigger. That darn rifle shoots under 3 inches at 200 yds with almost any 55 gr ball ammo that we put in it.
I am a Remington man through and through, but I bought my daughter this rifle based on price. I am very impressed by her little Savage.

Sorry I wandered a bit on this post but all in all, the Timney trigger is money well spent if you are looking for improved accuracy- it is fully adjustable.

I'll likely upgrade her trigger at some point. I too am impressed with her rifle. So much so I bought her an adult stock to put it in after she gets bigger.

I don't plan on getting rid of it, and hope she can hand it down to her kids someday.

I have two Savage 110's in 22-250 and 7MM mag. I replaced both triggers with the savage sharpshooter trigger. I am well pleased with it, it was a drop in mod and both break like a glass rod at 1-3/4 lbs.

There's some risk of malfunction when shortening an action spring, like for triggers.
Since it results in a shorter spring, the trigger return can be affected.
A weaker, but full length spring is generally a better method to lighten a trigger pull, without possible undesirable consequences.

Since we're resurrecting two and a half year old threads, I'd like to add something to this one.
There's plenty of gun type springs available in those old printers, shredders and the like.
So before tossing them in the trash, take some time and dismantle them.
Those springs can come in mighty handy, at times.

Good luck fellas. Heavy springs are usually a mask for poor trigger mechanisms. Has anybody proven their mod 100% drop safe?

Just gotta' ask:
Has anyone ever actually dropped a loaded gun, one with a round in the chamber?
Loaded mags probably don't count as it's not overly likely to have a round in the mag go off.
The only shootin' iron I've ever dropped was the sixgun I was practicing fast draw with, and it wasn't loaded.

Never dropped a loaded gun, I don't try to carry them around loaded but that's just me. I do carry it with one in the chamber when I'm hunting however. Only then most times.

Back