Axis 2 in 350 [in it's own mind] Legend review

stagpanther

Some of you may have followed my trials and tribulations with a recent build I did in 350L in an AR--and that I was less than impressed with the suitability of the cartridge for an auto-loader; at least in it's present SAAMI spec incarnation and the different flavors of "mystery meat" that might be floating out there for purchase by the shooting public. Let the buyer beware remains my opinion. Not wanting to waste the investment in a thousand cases, as many bullets and dies I decided to spend $360 on a savage axis 2 in 350L. Another reason I did this is that when I received my "freshly cut" headspace gauges from ptg I had a strong suspicion there was a good reason they cut their no-go to 1.714 (as opposed to being close to the original Winchester-submitted 1.72 max SAAMI spec). In a nutshell, these dimensions keep the cartridge in an ideal seal to the chamber configuration and also will keep the the case head supported of all the different brass that I've seen so far. Just my experience and opinion, I'm sure lots of folks think I'm full of it. Won't be the first time.;)

This rifle conforms to ptg's tolerances.

attachment.php

With the new axis 2 Savage has finally done away with their notorious "Tupperware" stock which seemed to bend just by looking at it. It's basic, but gets the job done. No points for beauty--but who cares. The 18" barrel gave me pause for thought, that's giving away some potential velocity and might not live up to the "better than 30 30 and 243 win hype" that winchester continues to push. I have no idea why Savage really chose to go this route--but I have my own opinion having just returned from putting the first two magazines of cartridges through it. At the end of the day, this cartridge is not going to be a high plains 350 yd elk-dropper IMO, but in a lightweight carbine-like quick and handy configuration like this it makes a very dandy short to short/intermediate (say 50 to maybe 200 yds) heavy woods to mixed woods fields rifle suitable up to medium weight game with the right cartridge. Wild guess, but that probably captures about 75% of the non bird/varmint/big game market right there. Well played Savage.:)

The rifle comes with their great accutrigger and I chose to put a one-piece DNZ game reaper mount on it, which I'm quite pleased with so far. True to tradition (or maybe just laziness in standardizing on one size fits all) Savage allows for generous cartridge "oversize" in their magazine, a feature that has always endeared them to me as a hand-loader (and the fact their barrels tend to always be great shooters, no matter what the price point of the rifle is). Yes, I'm an unabashed Savage fanboy.

attachment.php

Unfortunately it was so cold and windy outside today (windchill not much above zero and strong gusts at my 2:00 whistling down the treeline like a wind tunnel) I only wanted to get on paper and zeroed with the scope, shooting off the hood of my truck with heavy gloves was less than ideal but I still got a group of around 2" at 110 yds--not bad considering conditions were very similar to the worst I've experienced on a winter hunt and I was using factory ammo.

attachment.php

About the only very minor nit I would pick is that it might be nice to have the option to put a muzzle device of some sort on--not because felt recoil is a factor--but because there is a bit of a tendency for muzzle-flip if you shoot free-recoil. You can certainly overcome that with a good grip on the fore-end.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
People can say what they want but I enjoy seeing these AR cartridges in bolt guns. It’s different and different can be a good thing

People can say what they want but I enjoy seeing these AR cartridges in bolt guns. It’s different and different can be a good thing
IMO the 350 L is much closer to an elongated pistol cartridge with the rebated rim added as an after-thought to haul in extra revenue from the significant AR market.;)

Aahhh, the re-birth of the 351 WSL! Seems like you had a good time, all things considered.
^^^^^:D:D:D:D I now know I have a good base for starting to find some good hand-loads without worrying about basic functionality issues.

Last edited:
Some of you may have followed my trials and tribulations with a recent build I did in 350L in an AR--and that I was less than impressed with the suitability of the cartridge for an auto-loader; at least in it's present SAAMI spec incarnation and the different flavors of "mystery meat" that might be floating out there for purchase by the shooting public. Let the buyer beware remains my opinion. Not wanting to waste the investment in a thousand cases, as many bullets and dies I decided to spend $360 on a savage axis 2 in 350L. Another reason I did this is that when I received my "freshly cut" headspace gauges from ptg I had a strong suspicion there was a good reason they cut their no-go to 1.714 (as opposed to being close to the original Winchester-submitted 1.72 max SAAMI spec). In a nutshell, these dimensions keep the cartridge in an ideal seal to the chamber configuration and also will keep the the case head supported of all the different brass that I've seen so far. Just my experience and opinion, I'm sure lots of folks think I'm full of it. Won't be the first time.;)

This rifle conforms to ptg's tolerances.

attachment.php

With the new axis 2 Savage has finally done away with their notorious "Tupperware" stock which seemed to bend just by looking at it. It's basic, but gets the job done. No points for beauty--but who cares. The 18" barrel gave me pause for thought, that's giving away some potential velocity and might not live up to the "better than 30 30 and 243 win hype" that winchester continues to push. I have no idea why Savage really chose to go this route--but I have my own opinion having just returned from putting the first two magazines of cartridges through it. At the end of the day, this cartridge is not going to be a high plains 350 yd elk-dropper IMO, but in a lightweight carbine-like quick and handy configuration like this it makes a very dandy short to short/intermediate (say 50 to maybe 200 yds) heavy woods to mixed woods fields rifle suitable up to medium weight game with the right cartridge. Wild guess, but that probably captures about 75% of the non bird/varmint/big game market right there. Well played Savage.:)

The rifle comes with their great accutrigger and I chose to put a one-piece DNZ game reaper mount on it, which I'm quite pleased with so far. True to tradition (or maybe just laziness in standardizing on one size fits all) Savage allows for generous cartridge "oversize" in their magazine, a feature that has always endeared them to me as a hand-loader (and the fact their barrels tend to always be great shooters, no matter what the price point of the rifle is). Yes, I'm an unabashed Savage fanboy.

attachment.php

Unfortunately it was so cold and windy outside today (windchill not much above zero and strong gusts at my 2:00 whistling down the treeline like a wind tunnel) I only wanted to get on paper and zeroed with the scope, shooting off the hood of my truck with heavy gloves was less than ideal but I still got a group of around 2" at 110 yds--not bad considering conditions were very similar to the worst I've experienced on a winter hunt and I was using factory ammo.

attachment.php

About the only very minor nit I would pick is that it might be nice to have the option to put a muzzle device of some sort on--not because felt recoil is a factor--but because there is a bit of a tendency for muzzle-flip if you shoot free-recoil. You can certainly overcome that with a good grip on the fore-end.
Who shoots a hunting rifle free recoil? Free recoil is benchrest. Zero a rifle free recoil, it will be off when held.

Interesting . When I built my bolt rifle over 2 years ago in the round that became the 350 L I used a Savage axis rifle . Mine started out life as a .223 before I rebarreled it . I had to remake the mag to feed . Now I can just buy a ready made spare .

Interesting . When I built my bolt rifle over 2 years ago in the round that became the 350 L I used a Savage axis rifle . Mine started out life as a .223 before I rebarreled it . I had to remake the mag to feed . Now I can just buy a ready made spare .
Did you make something similar to a 357 AR/Max?

I do--when I shoot on rests.
I shoot free recoil in competition, but why would you want to shoot a hunting rifle in free recoil? You cant even remotely simulate free recoil in most hunting conditions. As far as that goes, I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone shot a 9 lb 300 win mag free coil, or a 7 Rem mag, or a 26 Nosler or....
Are we talking about the same thing? Free recoil, the only thing you are in contact with is the trigger. Shoulder is not touching stock. Cheek has about 1/4 oz or less of pressure on stock.

Are we talking about the same thing? Free recoil, the only thing you are in contact with is the trigger. Shoulder is not touching stock. Cheek has about 1/4 oz or less of pressure on stock.
True--I maybe used the wrong terminolog, I do make a cheek weld and have my shoulder behind the buttpad--but typically don't hold the rifle unless it otherwise has a tendency for barrel flex/flip. Most of my rifles do have muzzle devices--except my hunting-only sporter barreled or lever guns. The barrel on this axis resembles more of an Hbar barrel to me.

BTW--I just found that the axis 2 XP package deal (I never buy them cause the scopes are generally junk) does in fact come with a threaded barrel--I didn't know that until just now.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what the future brings for the Legend, The cartridge has a number of short comings that leave the door wide open for others to improve upon. Wish Winchester would have taken a bit more time or put a pinch more thought into this round. For some the .350 Legend will be perfect and for others not so much, In my mind the trick is to make a new cartridge a reloader's dream and at the same time keep the guy that buys his ammo at the store also happy.

True--I maybe used the wrong terminolog, I do make a cheek weld and have my shoulder behind the buttpad--but typically don't hold the rifle unless it otherwise has a tendency for barrel flex/flip. Most of my rifles do have muzzle devices--except my hunting-only sporter barreled or lever guns. The barrel on this axis resembles more of an Hbar barrel to me.

BTW--I just found that the axis 2 XP package deal (I never buy them cause the scopes are generally junk) does in fact come with a threaded barrel--I didn't know that until just now.
Thats interesting about the threaded barrel. I might get one if it does. Where you find out it has threaded muzzle? Savage website shows no threading.

Thats interesting about the threaded barrel. I might get one if it does. Where you find out it has threaded muzzle? Savage website shows no threading.
Except for the scope and threaded muzzle, it's the same rifle. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/227244/23208/savage-axis-ii-xp-350-legend-bolt-action-rifle-with-heavy-threaded-barrel-and-bushnell-4-12x40mm-scope Every XP package I've ever bought that came with a Bushnell or Weaver budget scope the scope fell apart, so I refuse to buy XP packages unless they come with a Nikon bare minimum.

Last edited:
The cartridge has a number of short comings that leave the door wide open for others to improve upon.
I and many others agree. Chief among them, get over making it a slower-twist 9mm Luger bullet compatible platform and make it a true .357 cartridge that can handle .358 bullets. KAK has already started making barrels to accomplish this (though they never never seem to be in stock). https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/358-legend/kak-18-inch-mid-358-legend-barrel-stainless-steel

I also really like the DNZ game reaper one piece mount system--light weight and precision fit which is also reversible between right and left hand actions. I'm interested in how it holds up over the long haul.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 624
Except for the scope and threaded muzzle, it's the same rifle. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/227244/23208/savage-axis-ii-xp-350-legend-bolt-action-rifle-with-heavy-threaded-barrel-and-bushnell-4-12x40mm-scope Every XP package I've ever bought that came with a Bushnell or Weaver budget scope the scope fell apart, so I refuse to buy XP packages unless they come with a Nikon bare minimum.
Thats weird. Wonder if its a special run for sportsmans? Savage website does not show that item number. They show that combo, but with no threading. I want to find one now because I want one with a brake for my son

It is good to see that Savage did some improving on the Axis II stocks. I really like Savage accuracy, but the flimsy stocks were pitiful. I really like that scope mount too...going to have to check into them.

Looking forward to future updates, based on better shooting conditions.
Could be a while for "better conditions"--it was actually well below zero wind chill (I thought it was a bit nippy) when I shot this. If there's a calm day I might be lured out, no matter how cold it is.

Back