Awful accident / Awful Message

Had a weird thing happen last time I was at my range. I was shooting my new SP101 and a fragment from, I'm not sure, hit me in my face next to my right eye.
Glad I wear glasses. Point is that I immediately put my revolver down, barrel facing down range, and left to to see what damage was done to my face. It burned like hell but I followed range safety procedures that I was taught. Put the bloody weapon down facing away from all and then tried to remove that burning fragment.
This man will have nightmares for the rest of his life because he did not follow safety procedures. This will and is a horrible thing to happen. My only wish is that somehow somebody down the line will not make that mistake because they remembered safety 101 or remembered this story.

There are harsh realities about maintaining ,or not maintaining,the basic firearms safety rules.
That said,I am a Father.My compassion for the man who lost his son.

There is no "time out" from the basic responsibilities of firearm handling.
A bumblebee inside the motorcycle helmet requires maintaining focus.You maintain or go down hard.
Same idea.
We can go on Youtube and see all sorts of firearms jackassery that is quite dangerous...from hot brass in the bikini to beginners having no idea what recoil will be like,followed by muzzles out of control.

When I help a beginner along,I tell them to imagine a lazer death ray that comes out of the muzzle.Its always on,and if you pass the ray through someone you may kill them.
Its a good image to keep.

On another board a member said there was a fatality at an Air Force range, a shooter got hot brass down his shirt, forget he had a loaded M-16 in his hand...
I had a 45 ACP case wedge itself between my shooting glasses and my cheek. It hurt like blazes but I maintained control of my pistol. I suppose it's like a bee sting or a bug bite, there is the reflexive reaction but you have to be aware of your environment.
I read where a top instructor told his female students no tank tops or low cut shirts, and if they did wear them a large bandana or kerchief was in order. Others recommend a baseball cap or at least a visor. I wear a kerchief around my neck in warmer weather. And on an indoor range know your semiautomatic handgun's ejection pattern is a good idea.

That is why you should keep your brass from flying all over the place!!! I have brass catchers for my AR,S and a back stop for my pistols the back stop was very ease to make! I do NOT have to chase down my brass, EVERY MAN should be held responsible for his brass!!

That is why you should keep your brass from flying all over the place!!! I have brass catchers for my AR,S and a back stop for my pistols the back stop was very ease to make! I do NOT have to chase down my brass, EVERY MAN should be held responsible for his brass!!

I wish that would work. My Coonan throws brass 20 yards and in 360 degrees. Some even go strait forward and land out in the range 10-15 yards. I would need to be inside a tent to catch all the brass and that would make it so I could not shoot :(

I do try to stay away from others shooting though because its got pretty bad muzzle blast and no one likes to get hit by brass.

Reminds me of the stories you here where someone spills coffee on themselves while driving and causes a 30 car pile-up. I find myself saying this more often as I get older but the fastest fix is not always the best and seldom the safest.

Last edited:
Sadly, some things are unpredictable and your reaction unavoidable. It may be in this case. I once had a .45 acp shell lodge between my face and shooting glasses right at the side of my nose. I didn't react poorly but I recognize I may have.

I think this different than reaching for a cell phone while driving. In that case, and similar, you have time to decide if it's something to be done. The dad here had no such chance. All of the sudden his involuntary reactions got put into place with terrible results.

Beats me why this makes us look bad. A set of very sad circumstances totally unpredictable.

FN15 said:
Sadly, some things are unpredictable and your reaction unavoidable....
Sorry, but no.

First, it's not unpredictable. If one is firing an auto-loader of some sort, or if one is close to others who are firing auto-loaders, he is going to be hit by hot, ejected cases, and sometimes those hot, ejected cases will cause pain. That's not at all unpredictable. In fact, it's a certainty.

Second, if you have a gun in your hand it is absolutely your responsibility to control your reaction to stimuli.

I read this was a 22lr, now I can somewhat understand moving if 223 drops down your shirt but a 22lr, sorry it's comparable to swatting at a bee in your car while driving in rush hour traffic.

I've had brass burns plenty times and my first reaction was always put the gun down but at the same time I used my left hand to pull my shirt away from my skin or to flick the shell off my glasses.

Sorry that the man didn't think of his other hand.

Back