Awful accident / Awful Message

dajowi

A Sarasota Florida man killed his son accidentally on Sunday at a shooting range. A hot shell casing went down the fathers shirt and he reached behind him with the loaded gun in his hand and pulled the trigger.

Can us gun owners look anymore irresponsible?

Could this happen at a worse time? :mad:

I can't even imagine. I get that accidents happen but man....anyway, dad gets to live with that one.

I won't even read a Huffington article on something like this. They never let the truth get in the way of their agenda.

Huffington post or not, pretty straight forward story and depressing as hell. My heart goes out to that family and in this case especially the dad.

So, somebody is dead, and what you're worried about is how YOU look?

Just stop it. Are you going to react that way every time there's a gun accidental death? You're simply worried about how YOU look as a gun owner? Nice.

Last weekend 4 people were killed and 62 wounded in Chicago. How come you're not reacting to how that makes "gun owners look"?

Targa said:
Huffington post or not, pretty straight forward story...

Agreed. I don't see that there's likely to be any relevant information missing. This awful result seems to be nothing more than a gross and inexcusable failure to follow basic safe gun handling rules.

Is there anything to be learned from this?

Don't get complacent. When you get comfortable you make poor decisions. It's easy to do. Very sad story, saw it yesterday and just couldn't wait to get home and see my son.

Yep, they should teach the basic gun laws in pre school and every year there after. They are always loaded, don't point one at anything you don't intend to destroy and keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to destroy it.

They say it's never too late to learn but "they" have never killed their child do to poor gun handling....

Frank Ettin said:
Is there anything to be learned from this?

The importance of preplanning and clear thinking under duress.

I believe that one of the most important things that anyone can take away from forums like The Firing Line is that they've *considered*, by participating in these discussions, how they would behave under certain circumstances.

You should ask your self, and seriously ponder, a great many questions about hypothetical situations such as this one.

If I'm driving a car and a deer jumps out in front of me, I don't swerve. If I haven't thought about it, seriously, really considered it, my reaction is to swerve and we all know how that ends up so often.

If I'm at the range and hot brass goes down my shirt, what do I do? If I've thought about it, I carefully put down the gun and THEN I can flail around to get the brass out. I preplan to accept the burns that it will cause, knowing the importance of the safety aspect. If I haven't thought about it, I just flail around.... and maybe shoot someone.

It's a lot like the concept that we default to our training under extreme stress. The same goes for even basic mental training.

I had a round from my PPsh-41 drop down between my glasses and my eyebrow. I've had so much brass bounce off me over the years that I didn't think anything of it at first. It's different when it's not bouncing off you, but stuck in place. A second or two later it made its presence more prominent. I think I just quickly knocked my glasses off to dislodge it off my eyebrow, so no big deal. Had a burnt eyebrow for a while.
My wife made the mistake of wearing a low cut shirt. She put her gun down and shook the offending brass out.

This guy apparently panicked and forgot basic safety.

This could just as well be a story about a father reaching for his cell phone while driving the family car and veering off into the oncoming lane. It's not about us, it's about paying attention to what matters.

Saw a young lady at the range literally shoot herself in the foot while trying to retrieve a hot ejected case that went down the front of her tank top. Moral of story is, you have to stay very aware of the situation (and not be distracted) at all times when handling loaded firearms. One mistake, or lapse of attention, could be disastrous.

Not easy to predict how most of us might react under similar situation. A knee jerk reaction to a very hot object coming into contact with bare skin is almost a reflex action. Takes quite a bit of discipline under such situations to maintain proper control of your gun.

Not easy to predict how most of us might react under similar situation. A knee jerk reaction to a very hot object coming into contact with bare skin is almost a reflex action. Takes quite a bit of discipline under such situations to maintain proper control of your gun.

This expression, and other similar ones, surprise me. I would think that most of us have had that experience, but perhaps not; I know I have, and more than once. I had the discipline to put the pistol down before getting rid of the hot brass, each time.

When I take new shooters to the range, I advise them what to wear, and I specifically warn against this particular event.

I don't mean to condemn the fellow who lost his son - my heart goes out to him - but I don't want us to consider shootings like this to be unavoidable, because they just aren't if you are concentrating on safety.

Truly awful. This guy KNOWs he made a HORRIBLE mistake. He KNOWs it wasn't the guns fault, but his. He is taking ownership of the incident.

TailGator said:
When I take new shooters to the range, I advise them what to wear, and I specifically warn against this particular event.
THIS is productive. This is something we can all work on. Hot brass SUCKs to get hit by, but teaching/training yourself and people with you what to do is huge.

1stmar said:
saw it yesterday and just couldn't wait to get home and see my son.
I had the same reaction.

Brass can get very hot. I've had it hot enough that it stuck to my skin rather than bounce off - and I've had quite a few brassburns over the year, including a few that left blisters.

If you are at all concerned about your reaction to having scorching hot brass suddenly introduced to a random section of exposed skin, then good protective gear is a must - closed shoes, pants, long sleeve shirt with good collar, hat.

Back