Automobile oil filter for suppressor?

Bill DeShivs Why would you WANT to use an automotive oil filter?
Because you are ignorant of the legalities of replacing the oil filter when needed.
Because you think oil filters will be readily available when a bird poops on your A/C.
Because you only have $275 total to spend on your silencer including tax stamp.
Because buying that $75 EconoCan from Cadiz, $10 shipping to your FFL/SOT who will charge you $50-$100 for the NFA transfer is a better deal than buying a commercial silencer..... that doesn't need replacement parts every hundred rounds....and is smaller, quieter, lighter, more durable and doesn't make you look like a doofus.

It will obscure any sights or optics installed on the gun.
Pfffft.........oil can silencers are marketed to those whose idea of accuracy is tated in minute of pumpkin.

Pretty stupid idea. A great way to either break the law, or waste $200.
Or both.

rickyrick I see actual suppressor components along with the oil filter adapters being advertised on Facebook.
"Lightening Links" were advertised for decades in Shotgun News, it didn't make them legal. Eventually ATF went after the seller and the buyers.

There are numerous instances of ATF/FBI/CBP seizing "fuel filters" with components identical to silencers at ports of entry, as well as from online retailers selling kits.

The oil filter suppressor is just a bad idea all around. These things are for folks who just want to poke the wasp nest for their jollys.

If you really want to build your own suppressor, there are less legally ambiguous ways that will be more fun and you will end up with a much better quality device in the end.

I mean after you pay your $200 tax, fill out the form 1, submit your photo and fingerprints, wait a month for the "mother may I" tax stamp, do you really want to be holding a piece of junk like this in your hands?

And if you don't want to jump through all the ATF hoops, do you really want to risk owing tens of thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees, possibly prison time, all for a piece of junk like this?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:
it didn't occur to me that Mr. Leghorn was considering firing up the milling machine to build his own adapter.

For clarification, Foghorn is in no way considering building a homemade suppressor. If Leghorn wants a suppressor, he'll simply do it the time honored way with the commercial device.

I just wanted to know if such a thing is really legal and now I see that, within govt parameters, it is.

Thanks for all the answers.

I just wanted to know if such a thing is really legal and now I see that, within govt parameters, it is.
That is the important part.

A lot of folks think these kinds of things are illegal and they are not. If you are in good legal and mental health standing, pay the proper tax, file the proper forms and you can make/build/assemble any NFA item you want except a machine gun.

Pfffft.........oil can silencers are marketed to those whose idea of accuracy is tated in minute of pumpkin.

LOL, I have actually seen one in use. Accuracy was not notably impacted after the first couple of shots to "break it in."

Just make sure it is a new filter.
9UcPCy4.gif

Double Naught Spy said:
LOL, I have actually seen one in use. Accuracy was not notably impacted after the first couple of shots to "break it in."
Unless, of course, the diameter of the oil filter is large enough that it obscures the sight axis on the firearm -- which I expect would be the case with most open sights.

I've seen fuel filters being sold on line with the same dimensions and thread pitch as a small silencer. I thought it might be interesting to get one and leave it in my tool box but then I got to thinking, that maybe I would be inviting a visit from the unfriendly folks at the BATFE. So I decided to pass. If I could find one locally for a cash sale, I might try one on my truck...

Tony

Back