Automatic safety for pistols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one (pictured) many years ago. Detail design was totally different, being that it was for a Luger and included a holster made to engage the modified sear; but it operated the same way; gun in holster, gun on safe; draw gun, safety disengaged.

Considering the number of shots fired by holstering a pistol with finger on trigger, it would be of value in some applications.

Ditch the lever design. You could still apply the same pressure based principle just minituarize it and place it in the area behind the slide serrations. Most holsters have sweat shields that reach that far

You built one that works? A picture is not an invention.
"...When you put the pistol behind..." Behind what? Stuffing a handgun behind one's belt is excessively dangerous as it is.
A patent application will cost you between 8 and 15 grand US.
Oh and a Glock already has an automatic safety.

Disclosing a concept in public certainly doesn't prevent patenting it.
Patents are expensive. Patent searches are tremendously expensive.
Any good thumb-break holster will do the same thing.

What does it do?
1. The safety was off when I put it in the holster. Somehow I opened it in holster or I forgot about it and it fired involuntary.
2. I saw a bear in the forest. It was running towards me. I'm panicking. I pulled my gun. didn't shoot. I tried again. No... I forgot the safety off. The bear hurt me.
Eliminates such problems.
Just load your gun and put it in the holster. A hundred percent now safe. Pull your gun. A hundred percent shoots.
"My invention solves the problems encountered in extreme conditions..."
"When there is a round in the pipe i forgot it. I put my gun on my hip or holster. It's safe with my invention.(drop condition excluding)
When I don't have my invention.
Not safe...
Open to involuntary fire now."
"My invention provides maximum security. Because it closes the front of the firing pin."

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the advantages you cite are things that occur only when someone is very unfamiliar with their handgun. Your device seems bulky, and some have expressed concerns about it affecting their grip. I wouldn't expect much market in the US.

george91 said:
"My invention provides maximum security. Because it closes the front of the firing pin."
But your conceptual drawing appears to show a device that acts as a hammer block, placing itself between the firing pin and a falling hammer. But a great many semi-automatic pistols today don't have a firing pin, they have an internal striker. Take any Glock model, for example. There is no hammer for your device to block, so it would appear that your idea cannot be used on the type of semi-automatic pistol that probably constitutes the majority of sales today.

In addition, there are the other problems that have been mentioned in previous responses.

1. The safety was off when I put it in the holster. Somehow I opened it in holster or I forgot about it and it fired involuntary.
A holster should always cover the trigger. If any firearm fires "involuntarily" when it is in a holster that properly protects the trigger, it's because of a mechanical defect with the firearm.

Yes. If there is one or more faults on your gun while there is a round in the barrel, involuntary firing does not occur.(with my invention)

But, George, with all due respect ... you have not responded to the comment that your idea appears to function only on pistols with an external hammer. Is there some way it can function on a striker-fired pistol such as a Glock?

But, George, with all due respect ... you have not responded to the comment that your idea appears to function only on pistols with an external hammer. Is there some way it can function on a striker-fired pistol such as a Glock?
theoretically applicable.

When you pull your weapon, the firing pin is opened and ready to shoot. Did I turn on the safety? Or was it closed? These questions aren't in my head. I make my shot and put my gun in his holster. The safety switches off automatically. Even if my gun is faulty, it won't blow up in my pocket. in this way, I can carry my gun with maximum safety when there is a round in the barrel. This is the purpose of my invention. Ask those who have questions ... :D

How is it “theoretically applicable” to non-hammer fired pistols? The drawing only shows an external device. For it to be applicable to striker fired guns (the striker mechanism is not external like a hammer) it would have to be installed internally. To do so, based on the drawing, a slot would have to be cut in the slide for the device to reach the striker. But then would have to retract far enough to clear the slide and allow it to move freely when fired. Then, you’re left with a hole in the slide for debris and muck to get into the internals and cause all kinds of other issues, such as NOT firing when you need it the most...

Thanks for sharing George and I commend you for your idea. For me, I have never had a gun that was faulty and discharge on its own.

For my carry and home defense guns, they are always chambered with no separate external safeties. If needed, I want to draw the gun and fire a round when the trigger is pulled. I do always keep them in a holster so that it is impossible to grab them by the trigger on accident, so I don't think you idea is something for me.

On the other hand, I do hear people being concerned with guns such as the Glocks that have no external safety when carrying AIWB and re-holstering. I could see an automatic engaging safety blocking the firing pin when holstered. It would have to be much less intrusive and work with striker fired guns.

Good luck!

By an apendage, not only butt ugly, but completely unnecessary that can get fouled, or bent precluding it's intended purpose of making lazy, careless shooters out of new gun owners. Giving new shooters a "crutch" so they can forget engaging the safety on a gun that's safe operation depends upon it becomes ng engaged. An appendage hanging out the side of a pistol that does nothing that existing safeties, proper training, and common safety practices does quite well.
Where's that Glock gadget thingy that was going to set the Glock world on its ear a couple years ago? Do the majority of Glock owners even know it exists, or care for that matter?

I prefer the safety between my thumb and middle finger.
Actually the one between the ears. Especially the other guy's ears. Even more the ones that think some contraption on the side of his gun negates the necessary use of said safety between the ears!

george91 said:
When you pull your weapon, the firing pin is opened and ready to shoot. Did I turn on the safety? Or was it closed? These questions aren't in my head. I make my shot and put my gun in his holster. The safety switches off automatically. Even if my gun is faulty, it won't blow up in my pocket. in this way, I can carry my gun with maximum safety when there is a round in the barrel. This is the purpose of my invention. Ask those who have questions ...
I think we all understand the purpose, and I think we all appreciate your ingenuity. But you have not responded to the issue that many semi-automatic pistols sold today do not have a hammer or a "firing pin" -- they have an internal, spring-loaded striker. How can your invention prevent an accidental discharge of a pistil that has a striker, and no hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back