Auto Ordnance vs Rock Island 1911s

I never shot a RIA, but I own an AO 1911 and it's been great. Mine was manufactured around 2015 and I have never had a hiccup with it. Never tried hollow points though. I've used storebought hardball and I use my own cast lead ammo. It's one of my favorite guns.

Aquila Blanca is right. I was saying that the slide would randomly lock back before the magazine was empty. It wasn't my thumbs hitting it either because I'm a lefty. Armscor repaired the firearm and it's been 100% reliable since then.

buy American, buy the Auto Ordnance

The AO M1911A1 is an "AMERICAN CLASSIC" made by AMERICANS

The RIA is a crude knock off from the PHILIPPINES made by FILIPINOS with incorrect contours and cast slide & receiver, they cant even make it look authentic, anybody who know M1911's can spot the inaccuracies right away.

I'm fairly certain that Rock Island slides are extruded (which is a variant of forging), not investment cast. I don't think A-O slides or receivers are forged, either.

The RIA is a crude knock off

They are definitely not crude.

I'm fairly certain that Rock Island slides are extruded (which is a variant of forging)

They are extruded. Both the slides and frames are made from 4140 ordnance steel. There's nothing wrong with cast frames. Ruger's are cast.

At one time, (perhaps they still do) Armscor produced frames for some of STIs 1911 models. They are generally well made and good shooters.

The AO will be closer in appearance to a GI gun, though not perfect either. I have one, and it works fine. I swapped out the stock trigger for a GI style.

Attachments

• AO 1911BKO1web.JPG
    AO 1911BKO1web.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 53
I have owned RI 1911’s and they were serviceable but I could not handle the crap on the slide and “made in Philippines” stamped deeply on the frame. My AO is a GI lookalike and has never failed to perform as expected, when I place it next to my original Colt 1911 and 1911a1 pistols it is hard to tell the difference. The AO does not shoot any better than the RI but it has a GI charisma the Rock Island lacks.

I have owned RI 1911’s and they were serviceable but I could not handle the crap on the slide and “made in Philippines” stamped deeply on the frame. My AO is a GI lookalike and has never failed to perform as expected, when I place it next to my original Colt 1911 and 1911a1 pistols it is hard to tell the difference. The AO does not shoot any better than the RI but it has a GI charisma the Rock Island lacks.
IB, that's about exactly how I feel about it....AO got a bad rep for suspect quality 1911s and the stigma seems to have stuck as usual. But from these posts and other forums it also seems they have substantially improved.

I would take my chances with a current production AO 1911 over RI for the reasons you stated.

Originally Posted by Ibmikey

when I hear something is made in the Philippines, I cringe at the thought because of where it's made, the PI is an extreme Third World country , like a big "SLUM" the mere thought of buying a copy of a US M1911 from a place like that really turns me off.

at least the Auto Ordnance is made in the USA , that alone gives me a sigh of relief, I would always choose USA over some 3rd world place, with sub standard materials / laborers.

when I hear something is made in the Philippines, I cringe at the thought because of where it's made, the PI is an extreme Third World country , like a big "SLUM" the mere thought of buying a copy of a US M1911 from a place like that really turns me off.

They're not a 3rd world factory. They use CNC robotics. Give a Rock a try.

Hang, “ Been there and dun that” I found the AO to be what the RI lacked when searching for a GI clone, my RI’s have found other homes where they are better appreciated. Everyone is happy.

As far as I am concerned Auto ordnance and Kahr give "Made in USA" a bad name. I am ashamed to look at the finish on either the 1911 or M1 Carbines. I dont know anyone with a AO 1911, going by looks and reputation. I went to a local shop to buy one last year when there was a special sale on AO 1911. I walked away, cheap price was not enough. I though, the Rock island was a MUCH better finished, but; I dont have one of those either. if it was me, i would gamble on an unknown before buying a know bad product.

I have two friends or club buddies, with AO M1 carbines. Both have poor reliability and the parts and finish is poor compared to the new Inlands. You can say the Inland is 200 more. Or heck, buy a GI M1. Are we that ignorant and cheap to save a few pennies for junk? Walmart aside, does quality mean anything? And for 1911, for a little more, you can get get a Springfield Armory. Or two or three other reasonable quality options, including some made in usa (ok not clones) . Every Tom Dick and Harry makes a 1911, why shop the absolute worse option out there (AO). That only encourages the whole industry to build worse crap.

Last edited:
I don't know why you categorize the AO as the "absolute worse option" without ever having fired one. Mine shoots as well as my Colt, though the trigger is a bit heavier and the sights a bit smaller. I think most of the bad rep that OA got was before the brand was bought by Kahr.

The AO is intended to mimic a GI issue gun, that is why it has a dull rather than polished finish. Whether that is "better" or not is subjective and also depends on what the buyer is looking for.

I have no experience with the M1 Carbines, you may be right about them.

I've shot AO 1911s. They seemed fine. The AO M1 Carbines I shot weren't something I wanted to buy. I finally bought a GI and swallowed the cost.

For cheaper 1911s the Springfield Armory Defender 1911 that is available now seems a decent deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The finish on my AO 1911a1 is a flat dull parkerizing just like my original Colt 1911a1, how can one say that it is cheap or poor...it is ugly parkerizing not a high polished Python and will never win beauty contests just like it’s original kin. Mine shoots to point of aim with 230 ball, is totally reliable and echo’s an original (I tend to leave my original 1911 and a1’s in the safe most of the time saving them for the future) to make me happy with a web belt and GI holster on my WWII firearm shooting forays.

I own a couple of RI and have found them to be a very good piece for the money. I have never owned an AO, but have not heard good things about them.

Sarge, I chose to make my comments from first hand experience and reserve comments on those I know nothing of. I “have not heard good things about” Cadillacs, yugo’s, Fords, politicians, fast food joints etc but I hold judgement on all until I have given them a try. I gave AO a try and was satisfied, not aesthetic but satisfied with it’s performance.

My Rock Island 9 mm...great accurate gun and priced RIGHT.
My only problem was with the Mec Gar supplied mag, they would not load, I bought some Zenith's, they are perfect, RI exchanged the mags for a different "brand(?) no charge and it's now PERFECTION....Love the R I 1911 9mm....(and did I mention the PRICE?)

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911-a1-government/

For budget 1911s, I've owned ATI, RIA, and Ruger. I've shot Iver Johnson's and Metro Arms. This Tisas is on par finish and machining-wise with the Ruger SR1911 I had and better than the rest I listed. Absolutely excellent for the price, and not one hiccup in the 300 rounds I've put through it in my month of owning it.

It's also series 70 instead of series 80 like the earlier Tisas were.

Back