Auto Drive PLANS For Dillon 650 & 1050?

JMorris, press is at the machine shop still, I have to remember to get a camera from home to shop.

Str8tShot,
I'm interested, but I'll need to be walked through it.

This version will be mechanical, I can think of several applications knowing that stuff would come in handy.
Next generation?

"Walked through it...next generation"
No problem. I think you would be surprised at what you can do with a little industrial ingenuity.

Just curious though, do you have 3phs at your house or is this press at a commercial establishment? Most houses are only wired with two legs, which cannot provide 3phs. I thought about having my power provider run the extra line, bit that would cost a fortune for a small benefit to me (they would need to change the transformer).

Mr. Morris was kind enough to set me on the track of common two leg 220 volt VFD speed control box which runs a 3 phase motor down to about 50% of its rated top speed.
Through a gear box, this will allow me to run the motor fast enough to keep it cool, give me speed control right in the range I need it through a 20:1 reduction box.

The double output gear reduction gives me the opertunituy to use support bearings so the entire load isn't on the gear box bearings.
No lash bearings and connecting rod power the sizing die plate.

Then the hard part is ejecting cases that don't make the grade,
Crushed necks, 204/222 cases get ejected, so do cases the primer doesn't get knocked all the way out.

The hardest part so far is coming up with a case shuttle,
Moving cases from under the dies about an inch onto the shuttle,
Moving that shuttle 1-1/2 inches,
Then moving them back under the dies by the time the next down stroke of the dies happens.
I figured out how to do this mechanically, so the shuttle stays in time with the press/dies.
Not 'Elegant', but it works... When the dies/press plate isn't moving too fast,
Which is what happened with the constant speed motor I had laying around...
Waiting on $450 worth of VFD & motor to arrive is killing me, so I thought I'd try the regular motor, and it didnt work, just too fast.
The shuttle goes with, or without the brass, brass doesn't like to move quickly with tight tolerance guides,
So much for 60 brass a minute...

Check die,
Probe finds crushed case necks, 204 Ruger cases, Berdan primed cases, or anything in the case, ejects them.
A collar in the same die finds 222 mag shoulders, ejects them without stopping the machine.

I don't want to spend my time replacing decapping pins or rods,
So a case check is mandatory, check/eject is something you can't do with a Dillon 1050.

There is also a primer pocket check to make sure the primer made it all the way out of the pocket.
There is no reason the probe checking for the old primer can't be turning,
Trim the military crimp off at the same time.
Since there is a die space above during that action, I'm using that die to brush lube the inside of the case neck at the same station.

Some guys don't think inside case neck lube is nessary,
I think it is so I'm doing it.

If the primer didnt clear, the case is ejected since I'm cutting the primer pocket uniform in the sizing die.
Sizing die has a FIRM grip on the case, since you aren't punching the primer, there isn't anything protruding from the empty primer pocket,
Might as well cut that primer pocket uniform while the case is solidly held in place and perfectly located by the sizing die.

The next station trims to length, cuts inside & outside tapers in the mouth.

As close to perfect brass as you could expect, and no machine, including Camdex or Dillon does all functions.

An 8th station is present, I haven't set it up yet, but its there for neck turning.
Just have been so absorbed with speed issues and making all the little parts/tuning to get around to it.

Making your own Auto Drive

Looking at the price of the PW auto drive I decided to make my own. Not for resale because that might be illegal, but anyone can copy someone idea for their own use. In that regard I tried to find out what parts I needed, what motor, what rpm, what torque limiter but no one posted it. I have it all figured out. I copied the PW model and built one and it works great. I didn't do this to make it automatic but to save my arm. However, if you want to go automatic that is not a problem as long as you also add a bullet feeder and you can also make one of those much cheaper than the commercial ones, using a 3D printer. The plans are already designed for you. All you have to do is have someone print them for you. My library will print anything I give them for just 1 dollar. Yes, that is unbelievable. If anyone wants to make their own auto feeder I will be more than happy to give you the dimensions, rpm needed and list of materials. It will require some welding and the use of a milling machine. I don't know if I can post my e mail address, so if someone will let me know if that is ok then I will be happy to do so and send you all of the plans and list of materials. I built mine for about $380 dollars. The motor I use is a 90 volt DC geared motor which was $280 and a torque limiter which was about $60.00.

I am also looking for plans to build my own auto drive. Any plans available? JMorris, I heard you were the man when it comes to doing this.

Back