Australian Disarm Technique

Don't count for nothing, we'll still win in the long run.......

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Beer, Beer, Beer!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Our local beers are horrible, as a rule, but there are some microbrews out there that are quite good. I have yet to taste a good beer from either Australia or Canada, but I'm sure I'm getting the mass-produced pap, just the same as foreigners get Miller and Bud from the USA.

Mike

The only REALLY good beer...

Trappiste, in Belgium. Notice I didn't say, "from Belgium."

Pasturization is a crime against nature, and preservatives are for cadavers.

Back to the guns....

I notice in some posts, both with guns and in here, there is sometimes a view that says, "If it isn't 100% guarnateed to work, it's useless." Oh, it's never said in those words. It goes more like this, "Well, even if you ----, this other thing coiuld happen. You're kiddiing yourself if you think that will do you any good!"

Well, then everything is useless. Marksmanship is useless, tactical training is useless, physical fitness is useless, martial arts training is useless - hey, even carrying a gun is useless!

Oh, carrying a 9mm is completely useless because it's not as powerful as a ----- (fill in your favorite weapon). No, carrying a .45 is not one bit better than a 9mm because you can't guarantee that every shot will be more effective than a 9.

Studying ----- (fill in the MA of your choice) is useless because you might encounter 5 BGs and they will stomp you anyway. You might encounter a reeely big guy and he will stomp you anyway.

But it's not about 100% guarantees. It's about maximizing our chances, isn't it? So anything that will improve our chances is.... useful, isn't it?

During my limited amount of training in unarmed combat, the instructor covered attempting to disarm a Bad Guy. The high-speed, flowing sequence is 1. Clear one's body of the line of fire; 2. Control (grab) the BG's weapon; and 3. Attack. (I'd scream as loud as I could, trying for "Psych" as well as action. :) )

This basically works if you're within maybe five to six feet of the gun; it probably works best if the BG's handgun is in the proto-typical Hollywood extended-arm grip.

It seems pretty well proven that if you make that first move, out of the line of fire, the BG's trigger finger will respond before he turns his body or moves his arm; the first shot misses.

My pesonal opinion is that if I just stood there, I'd likely die; if I do something, I may well be unharmed or "merely" wounded. Howsomever, wounds can be surviveable--and adrenalin helps.

More opinion: Few BGs expect an attack as a response--they learned from both movies or earlier experience. Surprise is always a help.

FWIW,

Art

As Captain Hoek points out.... nuttin in life comes with a warrenty card.

In the late 60s I had had a fair amount of unconventional training. Figured that with a lot of luck I could take a rifle or handgun away from front or back. A key requirement being that the person holding the gun has not made the decision to fire. Since in all probability I would be dead meat anyway I am sure that I would give it a try. If bg's reaction time slower than my action time I would have a pretty good shot of pullin it off.

My #2, who trained with me, walked into a situation where he was forced to try it......and was successfull. BG shot himself under the chin and expired from brain ventallation. Turned out well and was a correct decision. Bg had just shot another so was a proven shooter.

In the years hence I have drilled a bit. Bout four years ago I was challanged by an instructor twenty years my junior and a hundred pounds bigger. He was left handed and drew red gun on me holding it tight into his ribs. Gun clicked while pointed at his head. Suprised the hell out of both of us.

Then again recently I tried it with a stout man and a plastic pistol. Pistol broke apart just ahead of the trigger guard and it was still pointed at my chest. Lost that one big time.

Like the Cap'n says, no guarentees.......but worth a try.

Sam

Wow. That really makes one think, C.R.Sam.

Personally, I'd rather die trying than just die. Exellent points above about mere possibilities NOT being justification to abandon efforts to improve your own probabilities.

Stack the deck, friends. And don't forget sand in the eyes and liberal application of teeth if possible.

Not honor so much as choosing the lesser of two very bad choices. Darn near always a choice, just sometimes hard to choose. Kinda like bein up to your chin and havin somebody throw a bucket of @@@@ at you....do you duck ?

Sam

Back