ATF Agent Home Visit

I have a friend who bought 5 AK receivers and had two suits from the ATF knocking on his door asking if he was manufacturing. He showed them the 5 receivers they left. He lives in Atlanta. Happened a couple of years ago.

I don't know about GA, but if you're in a border state and you buy more than one "assault weapon" at once, they have to fill out a form similar to what they do for a multiple handgun purchase.

During the post Sandy Hook craze, I stocked up on EBRs and bought out Ft. Hood's PX of FN products and am still waiting for BATF to come admire my collection. :D

If you show a pattern of buying large quantities of pistols/EBRs they'll probably want to know why you're buying so many. If one or two aren't there, it's no problem. But if you've bought 20 and can't show a single one, you're probably going to have some questions to answer.

I don't know about GA, but if you're in a border state and you buy more than one "assault weapon" at once, they have to fill out a form similar to what they do for a multiple handgun purchase.
Well, they can ask all they want. Unless they've got a warrant, I've every right to tell them to cheese off. The multiple sale forms are an accounting requirement for dealers; they place no obligation on the end user.

Heck, just to make it fun, I'd tell them to wait on the driveway while I called local law enforcement. That'd be a fun conversation.

I don't know what the current administration might have ordered, but AFAIK, BATFE really doesn't care a rat's fanny about registered NFA firearms. They only care about those that are not registered. I have known folks who had over a hundred registered machineguns and no one seemed to care.

It is almost like an automobile tag. A cop will pass a thousand cars that have license plates and not care or even notice. But if he sees a car without one, that is another story.

Jim

The BATFE showing up because a non FFL buys multiple receivers, or something similar, has nothing to do with a legally transferred machine gun. Where I can understand where the BATFE would have some interest in seeing if a non-FFL/SOT is manufacturing and selling guns, I don't believe the BATFE has much interest in social visits to check up on legally transferred machine guns.

glassguy I have a friend who bought 5 AK receivers and had two suits from the ATF knocking on his door asking if he was manufacturing. He showed them the 5 receivers they left. He lives in Atlanta. Happened a couple of years ago.
1. How would they know how many he had?:rolleyes:
2. It is not illegal for a nonlicensee to manufacture firearms for his own use.

Multiple sales of handguns within a five day period (and in the border states certain rifles) require the dealer to fax or mail a multiple sale form to ATF.......but AK receivers are not pistols and not rifles so are not required to be reported.

Even if your friend said "uh yeah I'm building AK's"...............so what? Nothing illegal unless he's doing so as a business.

" How would they know how many he had?"

my question exactly. And he never did find out. Someone reported it...I personally believe that it must have been the supplier of the receivers. Or his FFL

I've owned machine guns since before the 68 amnesty, and I've only had ATF folks come to my home twice. Both times were back in the early 70's and they wanted me to explain some of the finer points about machine guns because they knew I owned quite a few at that time. They never asked to see any of my own guns. I never knew anyone who had a visit from ATF about their registered guns either.

I once listened to a man describe in great detail how ATF and the FBI repeatedly visited his home to inspect his guns and check on storage, etc. He claimed they did this every couple of weeks for everyone who owned a gun. (At that point, I began to get just a bit suspicious.)

Then, he told me, in strict confidence, that in checking on him, ATF and the FBI were obeying the orders of "the Master" who was watching him from an alien space ship because he knew the secret plans of a Universal Conspiracy To Take Over The World.

Sure.

Jim

It seems to me that the last place an ATF agent would want to investigate anything would be at the residence of someone who has registered weapons, silencers, etc. Just how would that go?

BATFE: Knock, knock.... "Hello, we're here to look at your registered silencer"
John Silencer "OK, here it is....here is my form 4 too"
BATFE: " Thank you. Have a good day".

Now, that takes time to randomly pick some NFA owner out of a magical hat; figure out where he lives; arrange for two field agents to drive out - look at a registered can, and drive back. Type up a report. And, for what? There can't possibly be any crime that was committed with a registered can, which would involve only BATFE. If there were any reason to believe it was used in the commission of a crime, it wouldn't be two ATF field agents showing up to simply check on your can. I would think that would involve other law enforcement with warrants etc.

Yes, but it was pretty much at my invite.
I had information I thought might be helpful in a boming/murder investigation. Agent was polite and asked only appropriate questions.

Back