At the range today I heard . . .

My shotshells are color coded.

Red = 12 ga
Purple = 16 ga
Yellow = 20 ga.
410 doesn't matter cause they are long and skinny.

Parker once did a promotion by blowing a 20 ga shell out of a 12 ga gun without damage. Showed the strength of their barrels.

A guy here had a freak blunder/accident. He has a two-top 2011, a 9mm barrel and slide for 3 gun competition and a .40 upper for USPSA Limited Major. He managed to get a 9mm down the .40 barrel without it hanging on the extractor or sliding out the muzzle and follow it up with a .40. About $600 later he was back in business.

Any barrel that could take a dual round scenario like that parker wouldn't have survived having a pair of modern high powered hunting rounds. I'm expecting that the second round would fire because of the primer being compressed, and with the ejection of shot and powder from the front round, the charge in the back round should have sent pressures up exponentially. It wouldn't just add the weight of the front shell to the charge weight, it would also mechanically increase resistance on the flange, and have the full resistance (or recoil) of that front load pushing back. Even if it was just a blooper, you will still find yourself with a pushback while the thing hadn't even left the barrel.

Put a stout enough combination together and you might as well just solder a plug into the barrel just past the chamber.

The real issue is: know what pistol you are shooting and know what ammo it requires. Don't jus throw something in the bag and hope it works.
willr

A friend of mine managed to chamber a chapstick into a .410 pump shotgun while hunting once. It took a long wooden dowel and a hammer to get it out.

When I was in 4th grade I was at a friend's house in his bedroom. His parents were gone so were were looking at a .410 single shot. After a while he pulled out a cartridge (.38 Special iirc) and put it in the shotgun. He didn't think it would go off so he pointed it at the wall below the window and pulled the trigger. The look on his face...

This thread has me thinking:

I have a Beretta 92FS and a 96A1. They look almost exactly the same. They have both gone to the range with me together on a few occasions. The magazines look almost the same, too. To date, I've never inadvertently tried to load magazines with the wrong ammo and never tried to load the wrong magazine into the wrong pistol but now, reading this thread, I'm wondering what the issue is.

EDIT: That last sentence made no sense. I should have said, "I'm wondering what problems I could be setting myself up for.

Until recently, I've wondered if you can shoot .22LR in a .22 magnum gun. Less than two weeks ago, on a different forum, I finally got the answer to that question, without really looking for it and now, it's confirmed in here: They don't cross-pollinate. I would've never actually tried to on purpose before asking, but what does scare me a bit is that frequently, I've had the LR and the Magnum firearms on the bench at the same time when teaching someone to shoot. Never had a mishap. But never again. Too risky, now that I see the above scenarios being explained. Scary.

--Wag--

Last edited:
LOL, it's been reported that for folks who carry their phone on their belt, some have tried to use it for a reload in a class or match. Probably, the older flip phones works better. Your Iphone might make it into a AR.

On a less than humorous note, there was a case not too long ago where a cop drew and fired his pistol, killing someone, when he meant to use his Taser.

If there is more than one choice, it seems human nature that someone WILL chose the wrong one, either thinking its the right one, or not knowing its the wrong one.

It has actually happened a number of times, I've heard of maybe a half dozen, at least. It's a shame that we can't figure out a way to exclude firing the handgun instead of the tazer, but the handgun is what people will always default to because it is on the right side and is trained with. You must make a conscious effort under stress to reach across and grab the taser instead. It sounds ridiculous, but the reaction would be "oh, no, i gotta taze the guy' and obviously there will be more mental processing being used observing and planning, and deciding what move to make will be given short shrift. A person may think 'I gotta draw and fire (my tazer) and lose conscious thought that he isn't supposed to be grabbing his gun.

Not a great explanation, but it's a similar thing to turning off the lights when you mean to turn up the radio. The mind is focused on one thing. A decision is made to perform another simpler task, one that is easy and really doesn't reach into the consciousness. It's not like accidentally turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal, the consequences are far greater, and the stress and distraction are far greater.

The way you avoid these things is by thinking ahead. If the shooters had gone into that event knowing that there may be a need for a tazer and planned ahead, the reaction of drawing the gun instead could have been prevented. The mindset wouldn't have been just a chaotic grab, the mindset going in would have been 'if I have to I will deploy the tazer that is on my left side.'

I sure don't want to be in that situation. I can't even drive and text, much less decide between a gun and a tazer in a split second when the SHTF.

seen it

Yeah I've seen that. In fact, I've seen several combinations.....9mm/.40, a .40/.45 and a .270 /7mm mag. I have also picked up spent brass at a public range....... .300 Win mag in what was likely a .300 Weatherby.

On a less than humorous note, there was a case not too long ago where a cop drew and fired his pistol, killing someone, when he meant to use his Taser.

If there is more than one choice, it seems human nature that someone WILL chose the wrong one, either thinking its the right one, or not knowing its the wrong one.

This one?
Oscar Grant III was a 22-year-old African-American man who was fatally shot in the early morning hours of New Year's Day 2009 by BART Police Officer Johannes Mehserle in Oakland, California. Responding to reports of a fight on a crowded Bay Area Rapid Transit train returning from San Francisco, BART Police officers detained Grant and several other passengers on the platform at the Fruitvale BART Station. Two officers, including Mehserle, forced the unarmed Grant to lie face down on the platform. Mehserle drew his pistol and shot Grant in the back.

There was another fatality in tulsa in which a 70+ year old deputy shot a man. He went to prison.

In lawrence kansas a backup police officer who was dragged into a scene and shot a man who was attacking another officer.

in both cases it seems to me that the shooter was too distracted by the scene before them to concentrate on the drill of grabbing the tazer.

Add to that that the guy in tulsa just made a huge, unbelievably stupid error in shooting in the first place.

.380 will work in a 9mm gun.

I know because I was shooting a Beretta Nano once and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't cycle between rounds. . .

Yep, a friend of mine was at the range with me and reloaded a PX4 9mm with .380, with the same result. I think it head spaces on the extractor well enough to fire, but it wouldn't cycle or eject.

Dragonbreath said:
A friend of mine managed to chamber a chapstick into a .410 pump shotgun while hunting once.
I declare Dragon breath the winner of this thread!

Oh, heck, yeah.

No pistol related but it could be depending on the configuration.

This was back when I used to work at one of the local ranges. We'd share ammo sometimes and drop whatever rounds we didn't use when we tested something out in the range into one another's ammo can or bag.

It seemed like someone unintentionally dropped a .300blk round in my 5.56 ammo can. When I went to shoot my AR with the new barrel, gas tube, and rail I had put on the .300blk round made sure to make a scene.

There was also the usual 380 and 9mm mix up. Even 38 and 380 mix ups.

Back