At the Pawn Shop today

Ferretboy

I stumbled across a Winchester 94AE in .357 Magnum, I paid $650 + Tax on it. Didnt think I could pass it up. I cant find anything wrong with it just need to learn more about the rifle. Any info helps. It has the safety bolt across in front of the hammer. Serial number in the 6440000 Range. Action cycles great, little tough to load though...

Attachments

• IMG-20130207-00008.jpg
    IMG-20130207-00008.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I had one. was the most accurate revolver cartridge gun I ever shot. better than my competition cowboy marlin. hands down better than my rossi or navy arms 92s. long action (meaning 30 30 class action made it a little slower but so what. hope yours works as good as the one I shot....bobn

You did well. I think the new ones are pulling near a thousand at the gun stores around here. I have not seen one used on the shelves around here ever.

The 94 was designed for a rifle cartridge and many if not most have feed problems with pistol length cartridges.

I stumbled across a Winchester 94AE in .357 Magnum, I paid $650 + Tax on it.
I think you paid too much, there is one on Auction Arms, $547. Did you do any research on 94AEs before you laid down the cash? You can go to GunsAmerica.com or gunbroker.com or Auction Arms and find out what this type of gun typically sells for.
I think the new ones are pulling near a thousand at the gun stores around here.
There aren't any new ones. Haven't been any new ones for about a decade. The Miroku 94s are a bastardized version of a bastardized version of the 94.
Does anyone know if heavy .357 loads are to be avoided?
Since the 94AE was chambered for 30-30 (max chamber pressure 42K psi), I think it will be fine with the 357 Mag (max chamber pressure 35K psi) from any source. This does not mean you will not ahve issues with high pressure ammo, it just means the rifle will not be damaged by it.

Honestly I just did a quick search on prices on my phone what I saw was rifles priced between $600-700. Plus I wanted a .357 lever gun, that kinda makes you a bit price blind.

So far utterly happy, just need to get it to the range and have some fun. My main goal here is to learn about the rifle.

I have a 1894c Marlin in .357 it is my favorite gun to shoot. Just look at what you want to hit, think hit it, and its done. I hope you enjoy your Win. as much as I do my Marlin.

If Scorch convinces you that you paid too much, and you get feeling like you want that money back, just let me know. I'll pay you exactly what you paid for the rifle, plus I'll throw in an extra $100 since you had all that trouble with getting ripped off, etc, and you just send that rifle to me. U.S.P.S. postal money order can be on its way to you by Express Mail -- all you got to do is say the word. I'll gladly take that rifle off your hands.

Not that I ever will, but, if I decided to sell it, I am sure there would be a line and I could set just about any price I want.

i'm in the market for a .357 lever too, but i would have to go for Marlin model, and a little off topic at my lgs/pawn there sits a Blued(and i do mean blue!) Desert Eagle MK VII, 44/41 mag for $930.

Leave the back of each round hanging in the gate when loading. Pushing each round forward with the next round, leaving it half hanging. Repeat as necessary. If you close each round in, yeah, loading is a PITA. Kinda. You live you learn.

I'd say your price is about right all things considered. 20 inch round barrel? Not all octagonal or nothing fancy or too short like 16 inches? Holds a weeks worth o ammo, can kill Bambi or Wiley when you do your part, it belongs to you... whats not to love? :D

ETA, look up John Moses Browning and the Win 94 sometime... for a little educational info on the firearm in question (but I'm sure you knew this already)

Wait, what's wrong with the 16" shorties?

I would think they would be just fine as long as they don't have some off problem related to the barrel's rifling.

Wait, what's wrong with the 16" shorties?
Not one thing... 'ceptin' maybe the shorter magazine tube mounted below limits the amount of fun one can walk around with.
24" round barrrel "Legacy" model from mid '90s. 12 round capacity
Shhhh best not tell any Senators from California who might decide to add that high capacity clip limitation to her list of naughty little weapons not good or safe for public use and ownership.

How's it shoot? (assuming you did get it and took it out for a test run or three)

Waiting for my range membership to be renewed and free time to head up there. I got 250 rounds of fmj on the way to give it a good go...... Until then I am gonna sit here at home and cycle ammo through it, and admire it.

Back