At range: rapid fire or evenly spaced shots?

The slow fire sessions are excellent training for trigger control and follow through. It is fun, plus it is a good foundation for learning rapid and accurate fire for self-defense. It's that balance of rapid and accurate that is important. Fast shots that miss or hit non-vital areas simply burn up ammo for no good purpose. Too often, I see people--including myself--concentrating on one area and neglecting the other.

I am an accurate shot, but I am not especially fast. I have spent probably 75% of my range time doing slow, precision fire. The one-second rule is something I actually need to work up to. Once I can get consistent, good hits every second, I'll start complaining about the rule. :)

most of the time I'll take my time with a shot, but sometimes (maybe every 2-3 mags) I'll unload one...I've got a semi auto...might as well treat it like one!:D

Its important to be able to shoot quickly and accurately, and place your shots as effectively as you can quickly for pistol self defense. Blasting away rapid fire can be an eye opener. Sometimes I think it sobers a guy up who thinks he's Rambo only to find he's so all over the place shooting rapid fire that he'd run out of ammo and get himself killed. I do have to say, though, who hasn't thought it a little fun to unload a mag or two into a pumpkin or watermelon?:D

It is all good

We all have likes and dislikes. I like to show off sometimes and hit the steel plates at 25yds 6 rds in 6 seconds with the GP100 using 38 special loads. I did it this weekend while everyone else was using the 7yd line. Everyone stops and looks almost always one who wants to make a bet that I cant do it again. I can always use a few extra bucks for ammo. The only way that you can pratice for an armed encounter is to first become a good shot at distance. This gives better control over the weapon. Then once the muscle memory is there start the aimed rapid fire transition on multiple targets and if possiable moving targets. I know that most ranges prohibit this type of shooting. I am happy that they don't allow it as most of the people that are at public ranges have no clue as to what they are doing. Just my 2Cents.
EPR105

Good thread. Its funny how some ranges don't care and some will throw you out for it. One of the local ranges I go to does say "no rapid fire" but they do allow double tap practicing. Makes sense...

If they watch you just empty your 17 round magazine down range, yes..they'll say something. But if they see you do two centermass and one to the head, no biggy.

I shoot at an indoor range that has a waterfall,.. I usually do the 1-2 sec thing. Every once in a while I'll get a little crazy. After getting the Lazermax and hi-cap mags for the G21... Hold on like hell and keep the dot on the target, no one really seems to care. But I hit my target. It's the guys that go in with the snub nose revolvers that have the target 10 feet out and can't hit it that scare me. That guy hit my target, ...The .380 I'll pop off real quick like, very little recoil. I guess it all depends on mood and caliber and who else is in the range.. and how many bullets i have. I do my crazier shooting at friends 150 acres of land.

Back