asp baton

eyeballz:

Yes, they can. The Monadnock training program goes into their whole control methodologies with their MEB (Monadnock Expandable Baton) course. ASP does not teach or reccomend that impact weapons be used as control devices. I don't either. Sticks are designed for hitting. From a non-leo perspective, I cannot envision a situation where it'd be appropriate for someone to attempt a controlling technique.

I was taught takedowns and submission locks as part of the single stick curriculum at my Kali school. Even after reaching an "intermediate" level, I would not trust myself to try them. Probably in a real world situation, one should utilize the "largo mano" tachniques of striking at an opponent's hands and wrists. I see the ASP or similar baton excelling in this role, since the heavy, narrow end is likely to fracture bones in the hand, which while certainly not lethal, will mroe than likely make the BG decide to stop trying to stick you with his knife, etc.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that LEO and federal 1811s were being taught wrist locks and joint holds that can turn into projections much like Aikido does. If so, these technically should naturally translate into the same techniques as a jo, for example, right? Not that I espouse them, but imagine if the BG did get ahold of the ASP for some reason and you have a perfect opportunity for a #1 or #2 lock (ikkyo, nikyo? i don remember) or mini projection.

I'm sure there are some creative ways to use the ASP. IIRC, the Gracies have been working with LEOs in California - I'd think that they would realize LEOs frequently find themselves deploying sticks, etc and having them grabbed from them. As a part of retention, let's say that previous experience tells you to go right for rear mount to choke or arm restraint before cuffing. I'm sure the ASP would come in handy then...

Again, I have no idea how they conduct ASP (etc.) training, but if they don't at least try to correlate such techniques or simply focus on the ultra less lethal areas then they are putting themselves to a BIG disadvantage.

Back