ASM Brasser

It depends on which method they used to attach the hand spring. Some can be worked out of the slot. I have one that is using part a bobby pin. After digging through my wife's pins to find an old one not made of china junk metal I was able to repair the hand to work perfectly and it has been for hundreds of rounds.

Stormson, if you worked with wood as a carpenter, you can use a metal file. Most of it is file work anyway. If you have a metal vise, all the better as it will hold the workpiece steady while you file away. If you don't, get a handvise.
24678807-Old-metal-vise-isolated-on-white--Stock-Photo.jpg
It's not as steady (because your hand isn't as rock solid as a bench mounted vise), but it'll make it faster than holding it with your non-dominant hand.

Dykem is a metal dye. It is used to mark the workpiece so you know when to stop cutting. As suggested, a sharpie may also be used. Dykem is removable with acetone.

Here's how I would do it.

1) locate a piece of tool steel the same thickness as the hand.
2) photocopy the hand.
3) cut out the photocopy and glue it onto the steel.
4) mark the hole where the pivot pin is.
5) drill out the hole.
6) Use a saw or mill file, cut away most of the extra steel from the workpiece.
7) Use a finer tooth file to dimension. Make sure it is longer on the top of the hand and in the second step. The first one begins the rotation of the cylinder and the second completes it.
8) fit and then polish to high shiny finish.
9) Use a torch to harden to cherry red and quench with oil.
10) polish to high shiny finish
11) Use a torch and heat to a straw color. DONE.

Awesome! Thanks Gary!

Yeah I can work a file pretty good... Used to use plenty of different ones, along with rasps, when doing cabinet work. Have a bench vice, but in such tight quarters these days I dont have bench to mount it on LOL :rolleyes: ... Actually never seen or used a hand file like that though, I'll have to look into them... I do still have bar and C clamps and have thought about rigging up some temporary way to mount my vice to the table, but the hand vice could very well solve a lot of problems without tearing the kitchen apart LOL !

Stormy

Just my opinion and no question that Gary's expertise is a thousand times more extensive than mine....

But...If you can work it out, it is far better to replace the spring than to try to fit a new hand.

I'll have to take a look at it... means pulling it apart again lol...I dont really have access to any old bobby pins made with good spring steel though so would still have to buy one if it is replicable.. I could buy new ones but I get the feeling they probably wouldnt work and retempering bobby pins without loosing the springyness (not a real word is it? lol) is WAY out of my league..

The one I replaced only needed a little work to get the stub out of the hand, then fit the spring and punch the slot closed.

IIRC

You can go get some music wire and use that for hand springs. I never did that myself but I believe I have read that it can work.

Back