ASHLEY EXPRESS HANDGUN SIGHTS.

If you use the Ashley front - you may want to forgo a rear sight altogether.
If you get the chance - knock the rear off one of them and give it a work out like that.
Sounds crazy - but just give it a try. Think personal defense and not target shooting. Give it a shot and tell me what you think...

An arrangement somewhat similar in concept to that of using an AO front sight with no rear sight has worked really well for me...for carry purposes, not target work. I've got a *bad* case of middle age vision. Can't focus worth a hoot on anything within about five feet of my eyes, but see perfectly out beyond that. The result of this is that I don't normally wear glasses when going about my business, and when I have to focus on something up close, I'll stop and take out a pair of reading glasses. But you can't do that in a self-defense situation. So what I did--at the suggestion of a couple of friends who had tried it--was to install an Ashley Big Dot with Tritium on the front and a Novak "half ghost ring" with a tritium dot on the rear. With this arrangement, the eyes automatically center the Big Dot (which even I can see) in the middle of the half ghost ring, and you're instantly on target. This works much better for me than using the Ashley rear with the Ashley front. Some of the local SWAT guys are using this setup and love it. Your experience, of course, may differ.

Millet adjustable tritium sights

I almost bought the Ashley sights for my P90 until I saw a set of Millet adjustables on a friends pistol. The bar dot bar tritium sights were very easy to acquire and accurate enough for bullseye shooting. I'm saving up (they're about $150.00). They probably don't acquire as fast as the Ashley big dot, but for my mix of shooting (target, plinking, & self defense) they are a great compromise...

I also have been thinking about the Ashleys for a Glock 29. I am a left handed shooter who is right eyed dominant. Maybe these will help. I can't stand the Glock Factory ball in white bucket sights. I might try to blacken the white bucket first.

Who has the cheapest internet price for the Ashley Express sights?

Hmmm...

What makes the non-tritium Ashleys different than a shotgun bead?

I've got a pair of '55 Browning 380's and they have the smallest sights I've ever seen. I gotta bring them up under my bifocals and look at them from about a foot away. I've been contemplating a big ol' white bead for a shotgun as a front sight, and a white line on the back of the slide.

Distance accuracy goes to pot?

I've finished my first 200 rds with the AO Express standard size sights.
I kicked but during the indoor match, I won, well!

The outdoor match went as well, untill the plates.
I swear I had to shoot 12 rds to knock down 6 plates!

Does this mean the AO express sights are crap at long range?

Time will tell.

What I need to do is go back to the indoor range and bench rest the gun to see exactly where the bullets are impacting relative to the tritium front dot. I get use to these I'm sure , it'll just take time.

As far as ordering, and instalation: Brownells quoted me the same price of $120 (Adjustable rear, tritium front) as http://www.AOsights.com did, and the factory was quicker at shipping than Brownells (2 days).

Install went well, the package from AOSights included red loc-tite and a non-marring plastic punch (nice touch).
The rear sight hammered in with acceptable tightness, no fitting required (ParaOrd "LPA" cut).
The front sight was perfectly tight also, although there is a small gap between the "blade" and the slide, you can see daylight. Not perfect, but good enough for competition.

Overall, the jury is still out.

-TVD

The instructions refer to a "test post" that is used to sight the pistol before the rear sight is installed. Is it part of the package?

where to get Ashley's

Ashley's are in fact more ideal for long guns, tacticals, etc., but a small arms user can enjoy 'em.

bestdefense.com sells it online.

Back