As an introduction - howsa'bout a 44 Spl ?

OldNick

I've been lurking for some time, and finally signed up. After leaving an official intro at the appropriate place, I figured I'd just jump in.

Here's one of my favorite cold-weather carry pieces.

aBhWUZP.jpg
[/IMG]

RWfjnb9.jpg
[/IMG]

xsPQQRi.jpg
[/IMG]

Taurus Model 431. 5-shot 44 Spl, k-frame size. Wide target hammer, serrated trigger. Fixed sights.

With 200 grain RFN home-cast bullets, at about 850 fps, it shoots to POA at 10 yds. Easy shooting, it has enough weight to soak up any recoil.

I like it.

Okay, looks like I need to figure out how to post pics.... OKay, I got it.

Attachments

• P1010178 (Small).jpeg
    P1010178 (Small).jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010179 (Small).jpeg
    P1010179 (Small).jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010183 (Small).jpeg
    P1010183 (Small).jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
One of my favorite cartridges. So very polite when you pull the trigger.

Here's mine, a Model 24-3 S&W Lew Horton.

262378060.jpg

Bought it for a song sometime around 2000, maybe a few years earlier.

I've always wanted to get the 3" companion, but the last one I saw a few years ago was priced through the roof.

I reload it with standard 246-gr. LRN bullets and a charge of Trail Boss. Fantastically accurate and very mild.

Why does it work only in cold weather?

Bob Wright

It gets hot here. Very hot. My normal summertime wear makes it more difficult to hide this revolver.

In the summer, I usually carry something with a bit more of a flat profile, as it's easier to keep from unwanted attention.

What's not to like? :) A .44 Special revolver loaded with Skeeter loads just works. A CA Bulldog for CC, and a 5 1/2" SA Ruger Flattop (medium frame) for everything else. A good companion to it's big brother .45 Colt.

{edit} Note I don't use the Skeeter load in the Bulldog. I load 6.0g Unique under 240g SWC for that gun.

Last edited:
What song works well in acquiring a nice old Smith like that, Mike?
I could start practicing....
Denis

Proof that God does love the slacker. :D

The only .44 Specs I have are a Ruger GP & a Ruger Blackhawk.
Would not hurt to expand.

I should take some time off from work & get to the more important parts of life, huh?
Denis

There is really something about the Taurus 431. With no intention to "brand bash", this model (and the 3" .41 Mag model also) is just far beyond the typical, average Taurus revolver. I've handled and shot a few over the years and every time I have picked one up (and I mean every time) it ends up being exceptional in build quality, feel and smoothness.

This model just really seems to have been produced in a different manner than most all other Taurus revolvers.

If you read this and don't believe me, test it on your own.

OP here -
I agree with the 'something' about the 431 Taurus. I fired one many years ago, and was surprised at the build quality. I had been quietly looking for one since.

I picked this one up a few years ago, and am again impressed with the quality. This was built in 1992; the bluing, although showing some handling and holster wear, is holding up very well. It looks to have the same color and depth of similar vintage S&W revolvers. The round butt helps when carrying.

The trigger is a surprise. Much smoother than one would think for a coil-spring trigger. The wide hammer spur, and wide trigger face contribute to ease of use.

This model was made for only a few years, and can be difficult to find. The folks what owns 'em is keeping 'em. Me too. They are going up in price, as folks realize what a fine piece of machinery it is.

There was a 441 made also, IIRC it was an adjustable sight model, and there is also a 4" version.

My taurus total titanium snubby 44 special shoots as well as any revolver I own. I consider myself very lucky in that regard.

BOARHUNTER

So very polite when you pull the trigger.

Howdy

Yes, very polite.

Here is a nice 44 Hand Ejector, 2nd Model that shipped in 1921. I picked it up earlier this year. Very polite with my mild handloads.

44%20HE%202nd%20Model%20SN%2020620%2002_zpsluk0foc2.jpg

A 44 Hand Ejector 4th Model from 1955. I stopped looking for a Model 24 once I got this one.

44handejector4thmodel01.jpg

A Triple Lock from 1907. All the blue is gone, so I got it for a steal. Shoots great. And very polite.

Triple%20Lock%2001_zps5ilw6ied.jpg

I've got one of the 4" 431's, and feel much the same as you profess about your 3" though I don't carry it.
I played around with a Wolff spring set in it and have the DA pull around 9lbs if memory serves, with no light strikes yet, through more than a few hundred attempts.
You're correct about the model 441 to the 431, same as the model 83 to the 82 regarding adjustable vs. fixed sights.
My 83 is near as nice of a revolver.

I played around with a Wolff spring set in it and have the DA pull around 9lbs if memory serves, with no light strikes yet, through more than a few hundred attempts.

+1 on this. I used a Wolff spring kit to make my 3" SS square butt 431 trigger much better. I'm about 250 rounds through the revolver without a hiccup.

I had a Taurus 445 that I really liked. It was the only Taurus I ever owned and liked. Finally sold it because it was only 5 shot and factory ammo was expensive.

I wonder what someone would pay (or what you could say it would be worth) for a 431 similar to the one that the OP shared with us?

Haha, if you are looking to BUY, argue that it is a Taurus and should be priced like a Taurus. If they agree, then you buy and declare sweet victory. ;)

Back