Artillery projectile identification (suspect American and WWII)

some of Floridas beaches are known to have unexploded ordinance on and in them
about ounce a year in, Fort Pierce Florida, the military is called to dispose of these items (Fort Pierce was a UDT and naval training center during WW2)
if you encounter anything like that on the beach call 911
they will contact the correct agency for disposel

DONOT poke, move or disturb it (it may be unexploded )
this ordinance has caused many many injuries
some are concussion, shrapnel, phosphorus, duds or inert practice rounds
and you have no way of determining which it is

There's something like 70 square miles of France that are still uninhabited because it was part of one of the most heavily bombarded places on earth. The French department of the interior responsible for clearing munitions says that it's pretty much impossible to ever recover those areas.

In Belgium and other parts of Europe it's called the Iron Harvest. Winter pushes shells, shrapnel, and other debris to the surface. Sometimes people are killed when a plow snags a shell, either high explosive or just as often, gas.

It's estimated that of the billion or so shells fired during the course of the war, about 1/3rd of them never detonated.

Some interesting photos here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-I-shells-mines-beneath-fields-Flanders.html

I'm in Saint Augustine all the time and didn't know you could find stuff like this! Most I've ever found is some sea glass. Do you routinely find things like that while metal detecting?

Back