Arthritis and shooting

4V50 Gary - I did shoot a lot of .357 back in the day. I'm sure that contributed to the current condition. In my 60s, when I practiced with revolvers, I was still able to shoot mostly with .38 spl and wrap up a range session with a couple of cylinders of .357. I wasn't worried about carrying .357 in an edc revolver. Like Tappan, it got to where the stouter loads were resulting in poor technique at the range. So the switch to various .32 loads.

Aguila Blanca said
Thumb cocking to shoot single action may not be easy with advance Arthur-itis.

I have a couple of single actions, including a Ruger .327 Birdshead Single Seven. You're right about the thumb protesting when cocking the hammer if I use my right (shooting hand) thumb. Most of the time I'm using a two-handed grip and use my left thumb to cock the hammer. The Arthur in the left hand isn't as severe, plus the angle is better for that action.

I think everyone who has dealt with arthritis has nick-named their condition Arthur.

Aguila Blanca said

I have a couple of single actions, including a Ruger .327 Birdshead Single Seven. You're right about the thumb protesting when cocking the hammer if I use my right (shooting hand) thumb. Most of the time I'm using a two-handed grip and use my left thumb to cock the hammer. The Arthur in the left hand isn't as severe, plus the angle is better for that action.

I think everyone who has dealt with arthritis has nick-named their condition Arthur.
Luckily, the thumb issue is on my left hand. Saving grace for cocking a firearm, not so much for racking a slide.

I have been looking at the LCR and LCRX for my late son's girlfriend. She is missing one arm and that came highly recommended with her disability.

I did a few mods for some of my aging clients.

I put strips of anti slippery tape (feel like sand paper) on pistol slide, so that they could better grab hold of it. I installed sturdy fixed rear sight that can catch on table edge to rack the slide. Hook can be used to pull back op handle, similarly can a piece of string around wrist or neck. There will be a way if you are determined.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I did a few mods for some of my aging clients.

I put strips of anti slippery tape (feel like sand paper) on pistol slide, so that they could better grab hold of it. I installed sturdy fixed rear sight that can catch on table edge to rack the slide. Hook can be used to pull back op handle, similarly can a piece of string around wrist or neck. There will be a way if you are determined.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I like the idea of the tape on the slide and an oversized sight to help. Thanks.

I had one on one of my 1911s. It actually tightened groups and it acted like a better fitting bushing. I had to take is off as I most shoot cast bullets at full power and the burnt lube and ash would over time make the action sluggish. I prefer to not do a full field stripping every time I shoot the gun. I feel it may cause excess wear over time.
Whether it made any difference in recoil I really can't say. If there was any reduction, I didn't notice.
I have a two Ruger Super Blackhawks, an old model that someone had Magnaported and a New Model with unported barrel. Again, I saw no noticeable difference in the recoil.
It could be I'm somewhat insensible when it comes to recoil. :rolleyes:
Paul B.

USAF Ret: You said that your left thumb has been weakened by arthritis, does that also affect your left hand dexterity? Would that make reloading a revolver more difficult?

USAF Ret: You said that your left thumb has been weakened by arthritis, does that also affect your left hand dexterity? Would that make reloading a revolver more difficult?
My hands have arthritis, which causes dexterity and strength issues. My left thumb, something happened with the tendon. I cannot bend it without extreme pain and have to wear a brace when it hurts. Pretty much makes doing anything with that hand tough. The only revolver I have is a Ruger Wrangler 22. I can load it, but it is a chore. The techniques folks gave me to help with racking the slide have been great. The 1911 is still pretty hard as the spring is stiff. Not so much on my striker fired pistols.

Is it OK to talk about things we do to treat our arthritis?

One thing that I had to do was to stop drinking orange juice and in general cut my citrus intake to a bare minimum. It's harder to find Vitamin C taps that don't contain citrus but for me it's been worth it. One glass of orange juice and I can barely get out of a chair for 2 or 3 days...

Tony

Geezerbiker, if the staffers don't feel this is an appropriate conversation, so be it, but I don't understand why 1 glass (assuming 8-oz) of OJ makes you less mobile. 8-oz contains 142 mg of Vitamin C. The dose I prescribed to ward off viral infections was 4000mg at the first sign of an infection. The next day I was fine. Doing this at the first sign of a cold had me "cold-free" until I got hammered visiting my son in California once many years ago.

If we're talking cures, try collagen pills. I have osteoarthritis in both my knees (+ some sever wrestling & football injuries from my youth). Within a month of taking collagen, the constant pain in my knees is now just an occasional thing. I wasn't able to do any leg exercises for over 40 years without severe pain until last year. I've been able to now work my legs and it's helped with some nagging tendon issues in my elbows that I had too. I still can't run, but I've gained strength like I've never been able to before. I was taking glucosamine chondroitin for years, but gave that up last fall and haven't needed to take those pills since.

Me too

I feel that USAF retired is speaking for me. I was just talking to my son about getting rid of my R1 and one of of my FEGs.

I bought an old Smith model 10 with an adjustment screw for the trigger spring for my handgun needs. Always have been mostly into rifles as my nanny state doesn't like LTCs.

Really can't stroll to the 100 yard range so have to ask for target help - don't like that. My Springfields and Krags are getting lonely.
These are the Golden Years ?

- Kab

I feel that USAF retired is speaking for me. I was just talking to my son about getting rid of my R1 and one of of my FEGs.

I bought an old Smith model 10 with an adjustment screw for the trigger spring for my handgun needs. Always have been mostly into rifles as my nanny state doesn't like LTCs.

Really can't stroll to the 100 yard range so have to ask for target help - don't like that. My Springfields and Krags are getting lonely.
These are the Golden Years ?

- Kab
I can still stroll the 100 yards a few times, but I am usually stove up and not getting around for several days. Plus, the young-uns can walk back and forth several times by the time I get to my target.

On another note, I still have the dream of getting an elk. Was stationed in CO and UT for several years. All I did was bow hunt back then and never harvested one. That was in my 30s and I could hike those mountains back then. These days, I could not pull a 100 lb doe out of a field.

Idaho has a special elk hunt for disabled veterans. I am hoping to do that, before I won't be able to anymore.

I can still stroll the 100 yards a few times, but I am usually stove up and not getting around for several days. Plus, the young-uns can walk back and forth several times by the time I get to my target.

On another note, I still have the dream of getting an elk. Was stationed in CO and UT for several years. All I did was bow hunt back then and never harvested one. That was in my 30s and I could hike those mountains back then. These days, I could not pull a 100 lb doe out of a field.

Idaho has a special elk hunt for disabled veterans. I am hoping to do that, before I won't be able to anymore.

I've been disabled for a while and it doesn't get any better.Until my last MRI I didn't have too much trouble walking with a cane, but also having Meniere's Disease, a two plus hour session having an MRI done has pretty much made it so I now need to use a walker. Vertigo is a more common name for Meniere's disease.
If you would like to take a cow elk, before I got too badly messed up I would do one every year with an outfitter in New Mexico. A private land hunt for cow elk that favors us not so nimble old fogeys. Basically, you ride around in a pick up truck until you spot the elk. Ypu get out of the truck and shoot. I'm the first to admit it's not my favorite way to hunt but one has to recognize his limitations. It's between you and the guide. If you want to get out and try a stalk you're welcome to do so. I have two bad knees so walking in uneven ground was difficult and I don't like falling down. So, I get out of the truck and use the hood for a rest. I've taken 6 elk off the place and the Good Lord a'willin' maybe if I lick this damn cancer I'll get at least one more hunt before I go. FWIW, I'm 84 years old and I don't give up easy. If you want details on the hunt just PM me and ask.
Paul B.

Back