Arizona and me?

othermarc

A while back I remember seeing a post about Arizona and some of the "nice" towns to live in. Of course, genius that I am, I didn't write them down. I remember the ones I were interested in were in the Northern part of the state. That's where the trees are, right?
Also, can an Az member shed any light on how long it would take to get a CCW permit? If I moved out there, would I be able to get a permit reasonably fast? I looked at Mike's CCW page, and that helped some, but it didn't say how long.

I wish they'd get a reciprocal agreement with CT, then I wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Thanks,
Marc

------------------
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub

Yes, the trees are in the northern part of the state.

Arizona is an open carry state (I do ALL the time), but to get a concealed carry permit you are required to take 16 hours of training from an approved instructor (about $80), fill out all the forms, submit fingerprints and forms to DPS (Department of Public Safety) plus $50 (DPS fee for the background check), and wait about a month for your permit to arrive in the mail (assuming no un-explainable splotches on your "permanent record").

Permit is good for 4 years.

If I remember right all you need is a valid DL for identification.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited August 30, 1999).]

Ok, so let me get this straight, unlike California or New York, if I move to Arizona, I won't have to surrender my pistols to the local authorities until my permit arrives? You mean I can cross the border and just make sure that some part of my pistol is exposed and all is ok? or do I need to be an Arizona resident to open carry? From what I've read, being an Arizona resident entails a trip to the DMV to get a license, so that is no big deal.

Wow, I am in shock. I spoke to Ontario County Sheriff's office in NY, and he said I would have to surrender my pistols for the 9 to 12 months of waiting for a pistol permit (not necessarily CCW). Hmph. Arizona kicks a$$.

------------------
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub

Othermarc,

That's about it. Just strap on your sidearm and head out. As long as you're not an obvious psycho, no one cares if or what you pack.

Now, when was the last time you heard about a shooting spree in AZ, as opposed to, say, Kalifornia? Personally, the last one I heard about wasn't even real life; it was in "The Stand," by Stephen King. Two goblins, Poke Freeman and Lloyd Henried, try to hold up a convenience store in AZ with a Schmeisser SMG(1), and Freeman gets his face shot off by a cowboy with a .45 wheelgun tucked into his jeans.

(1)WTF *is* a Schmeisser? It appears in a number of King novels, but I've never seen one IRL, nor found anyone who has.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Coinneach,
Schmeisser is a common, although erroneous, name for the WWII MP38 & MP40 German 9mm SMG's. If I recall, they were never officially called Schmeissers & Schmeisser had nothing directly to do with the design. However, there was one part of the MP38 that was based on a Schmeisser design - I believe it was the telescoping bolt system that the MP38 & 40 use (A collector of German SMG's explained it to me once several years ago & I think that's the way it went, maybe).

Othermarc,

What Coinneach said.

Now, when you move here you can help us replace our governer. She has not been too supportive of pro-gun legislation.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

I was just up around Prescott. That, too, is a beautiful area, and growing.

Sedona & Flagstaff.

------------------
John/az

Flagstaff is our 'biggest' cool city in the pines. Prescott and Payson are smaller towns, at lower elevations, but still quite nice. There are tall pines in southern Arizona, but they are on scattered mountains. Northern and some of eastern Arizona has broad expanses of cool pines. Up north we have the Mogollon Rim (pronounced 'muggy-own') country, and it is beautiful. There are lots of neat, small towns as well, if you can handle the economic repercussions. Nice folks.

Another nice feature of rural Arizona is the nearly total lack of concern about firearms. I began taking off a Ruger Security Six I was wearing in open carry (to leave in my car), and a business owner asked me what I was doing. When I told him, he said to put it back on, saying 'Hell! You're in the 'right to keep and bear arms' country, man!'. Right on - he has a customer for life.

Yes, our governor is not as good as we would like, but the state is generally still quite logical and decent re: RKBA. And, we need more folks like you, Marc. Come on down!

Regards from AZ

Its quite a beautiful state, the desert grows on ya and ya dont forget it......I graduated high school in yuma, spent a wee bit of time around ft. Huachuca, dont go to those places.,,,no trees to speak of..lol.. I did get to see hi jolly's monumenmt and were salome danced..lol...that was a long time back...if you into older western history its plumb chocked full.....fubsy.

Gee guys (and ladies), I feel welcome already. I'll look into those places, maybe I can set up a job interview before I start driving. I'm thinking this fall, as early as October, or as late as December, after I make a few more bux here in CT.

My Parents lived in Ft. Huachaca back in '69 on the Army base. I bet it's changed a lot since then.

There is something that you should be aware of. There are significant parts of the state that are Indian reservations. Guns are usually verboten there. You can pass through, but it's not recommended that you stop on a reservation with your firearms. I definitely wouldn't shoot on any reservation.

Marc, fubsy makes a good point. Often when folks ask about Arizona, they are curious about the pine trees and cool country. Fact is, our deserts have to be some of the most beautiful in the world. As I recall, there are three deserts in the southwest - Sonoran, Colorado and Mojave. Most of the Arizona desert is Sonoran. Relative to what most folks think of as desert, we have lots of vegetation and wildlife. Palo verde (green bark) trees, mesquite, ironwood, etc. Creosote bushes are the classic plant, and they smell great after a rain. Ocotillo, brittlebush, and saguaro (arms) and other cactus. Most of the wildlife action is at night in the summer, but mornings and dusk can be interesting as well.

Anyway, don't sell our deserts short. Some folks come and turn their noses up at desert. They miss a lot of the beauty.

Tucson has some of the prettiest Sonoran desert, but Phoenix is pretty too. IMHO, it is simply a great and beautiful state. I hope to always live here. And ... I hope they keep 'kalifornia' in California. ;)

Regards from AZ

Othermarc,

Chuck B. brings up an essential point:
Gotta remember the reservations (countries within the country). They have their own rules, so stopping while armed is highly inadvisable.

------------------
John/az

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited August 31, 1999).]

Ok, I've been working on teh "Better Half" to move - and AZ is most definitely on the list (it swings from 1st to second choice at least 3 times a week) ... so tell me, what's it like up near Kingman? And secondly, around Yuma?

And don't forget Bisbee & Jerome. Probably more work available if one commutes down from Jerome into the Yuppie Valley...

Work in Kingman, but live east of town!

If you're not down in the SW quadrant of the states, summers ain't so bad...

Sign me, a Texan who approves of another state! :)

Have fun, Art

Back