Arisaka type 38

yes, those are what hold the receiver and the trigger guard together and keep the stock tightly sandwiched in between. without it you'll likely have some problems.

I am guessing you are talking about the sheet metal reinforcement behind the receiver. No. All that was to strengthen the wrist of the stock. Even most of the sporterized T-99s have that removed. The lower part is usually ground to a radius. I usually epoxy a washer under the rear of the receiver where the threaded stud sticks down from the receiver. A lot of people just epoxy under there.

I have a WWII Arisaka rifle. I've seen some with the Chrysanthemum ground off but mine just has an X across it. Looks like someone used a knife to cut the X.

If anyone is wondering I bought a complete bolt, upper & lower tangs with screws off eBay. Mine does have the symbol on top. Anyone know how to decipher the other numbers for their meanings?

Now if only the ammo wasn't so expensive and hard to find!

Elated...then dejected

I have some good news and some bad news. The parts came very quickly from eBay. The tangs worked out great

. The bad news, the new bolt will not close. It's so close. if I push the back end forward it will dry fire but there is not enough room for the handle to close.

Another weird thing, the firing pin from the purchased bolt will not fit in the old original bolt. It's too thick. And even if it did fit the very end of the pin is larger than the hole for the firing pin to come through.

I'm stumped. Any guesses? Would pictures help?

pictures would help yes, I've never encountered that problem. it could also be that the firing pin hole is partially rusted shut of the inside of the bolt body could be rusty.
pictures of both bolts, a picture of the firing pin, and best picture of the inside of the bolt body that you can get.

Back