Arisaka Type 38 questions please help

Makes me wonder why they even bothered making dies for the 6.5-.257. As far as I know, they are still available. That pretty much makes it a "Standard wildcat".

I have the reamer and dies, I asked about the price of 6.5mm50 ammo once, after that I was shooting 6.5/257 Roberts. I have one box of RWS 6.5mm57 ammo. I could only guess it was designed for good shots, it came with 5 rounds to the box.

F. Guffey

A lot of European ammo came in 5 or 10 round boxes because the law limited the amount of ammo a person could buy, sometimes as few as five rounds a season, and sometimes an empty case had to be turned in for each fresh round purchased. They imposed such laws to keep the peasantry from accumulating ammo for the revolution. (I think some politicians in our "democracy" have proposed just such laws here.)

Jim

Of course it is close, but it is still two different rounds. The reason that Arisakas were not recut to 6.5x57 is because that brass was and still is almost impossible to get in the US. If you think about it, the 6.5x57 is the wildcat in this country. I would bet there are way more 6.5-.257 conversions. I have never even seen a 6.5x57 Arisaka conversion and have probably owned more Arisakas than all of you have held in your hands added up. Somebody on this forum tried it and it was a failure. I don't remember why, but it may have had to do with the early twist rate on the 6.5's. Chime in, if you are reading this. You can argue all you want, but it is two distinct rounds.

Sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean, or think, that anyone converted a Type 38 to the actual 6.5x57; that ammunition would have been as hard to get as the original 6.5 Jap.

I did say that I have seen a conversion to what was supposed to be 6.5-257 that accepted and fired 6.5x57 cartridges. I didn't say the 6.5x57 was the same as the 6.5-257, but the latter was never standardized and chambers do vary.

Jim

Honestly 257 Roberts Brass and ammo aren't cheap OR readily available I Norma is one of the few that still make Roberts ammo and Brass were as PPU is making 6.5x57 ammo now for under $1 a round...not to mention dies for the 6.5-.257 cost a good $150 dollars and because it's a wildcat there is no guarantee that the shoulders will be exactly the same. At which point I'd need to buy custom dies and at that point I'd probably be better off buying an ER Shaw barrel for 180 in whatever chambering I want...

I know ER Shaw barrels aren't the best but they gotta be better or on par with MOST barrels

When did Winchester and Remington drop the .257 Roberts from their line? You seem really confused about this. Sell it or trade it off for something you really want.

Last edited:
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM #25

Posts: 12 Honestly 257 Roberts Brass and ammo aren't cheap OR readily available I Norma is one of the few that still make Roberts ammo and Brass were as PPU is making 6.5x57 ammo now for under $1 a round...not to mention dies for the 6.5-.257 cost a good $150 dollars and because it's a wildcat there is no guarantee that the shoulders will be exactly the same. At which point I'd need to buy custom dies and at that point I'd probably be better off buying an ER Shaw barrel for 180 in whatever chambering I want...

I have 257 Roberts cases formed from 30/06 surplus cases with head stamps from the early to mid 40s. I have the 257 Roberts reamer and the 257 Roberts Ackely Improved reamer complete with dies. I also have the 6.5/257 Roberts Japanese reamer and dies. I also have 7mm57 cases formed from surplus 30/06 cases.

Difference?:eek: When forming and reaming I am in charge, I know 'what it is' before I start.

F. Guffey

Difficult?:eek: The difficult part is getting the cost above .10 cents each for every case I form. There is nothing like taking a case that is too long from the shoulder to the case head to chamber in a chamber that is shorter from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face.

If the firing pin shortens a case .005" between the shoulder to the case head just try to imagine what a reloader can do with all that cam? over.

F. Guffey

Back