Arisaka sporter q&a

Very informative thank you. I tried 3031 at mid low 30's and it was pleasant.

I just wish i could find some rimless brass. Nit this semi rimmed norma

mwells72774, The 6.5x57 sounds nice but dont you have feeding issues?

Mwells,

A little more info. When I purchased my Arisaka, my rifle was fitted with a T-99 trigger guard and floor plate plus magazine box, hence no feeding issues. The floor plate pistol grip tang was cut off just behind the rear trigger guard screw. It was polished and blued quite nicely.

My 6.5X57mm Mauser loads are:
100 gr Nos BTP, IMR 4350 47 gr, COL: 2.811"
120 gr A-Max, IMR 4350 44 gr, COL: 2.857"
129 gr SP, H4831 45gr, COL: 2,853"

The 129 gr load shoots half MOA groups.

Last edited:
The T-99 was 7.7mm Jap, 2.274" case which was a longer than the 6.5X50mm jap, 1,984" case. Most T-38's converted to 6.5X257 Roberts had T-99 floor plates to accommodate the longer cartridge. I believe there is a T-99 floor plate & trigger guard on flea bay now.

I went with the 6.5X57mm because I already had a combination gun in 12ga over 6.5X57mm rimmed. The same cartridge except one is rimless and one is rimmed. I had the dies for the 6.5X57mm rimmed and just had to get a #2 shell holder. Plus the 6.5x257 Roberts are custom dies and expensive. You can buy 6.5X57mm Mauser dies for $70.00.

Have a reamer? so I would have to come up with a t-99 trigger guard and mag box?

You have a reamer or are you asking to borrow mine? You can borrow mine if you want. I would suggest a Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway, $90.00 if you are going to re-chamber. Might as well start off with a new barrel. Mine shoots well. T-99 trigger guard and floor plates are always on flea bay, cheap.

You'll have to do a search yourself. I just checked with Midway and they don't list them anymore. They were Green Mountain barrels, Midway sold them as Adams & Bennett barrels.

Mwells,
If you are not fixed on a 6.5 caliber, go to the Midway web site, they have several Green Mountain barrels left chambered in 7x57 and 308 for $82.00; not 6.5 cal but good barrels and priced right. You would have to have a gunsmith cut and re-thread for the T-38 and re-chamber.

Its really more than I'm wanting to spend on it. I've honestly thought of keeping it as is since its such a nice rifle.

If anything its a scope and rechamber for more common ammo.

The 6.5 Swede has a larger case head, you might have to have the bolt face opened up. The 6.5x285 has a rebated rim and should work, but ballistics are not significantly greater than the ,260 Rem; where as the ammo costs a lot more.

Back