Arguments for and against light mounted on one's CCW/HD pistol

I need a hand held light to navigate the upstairs, where the bedrooms are. Once I've confirmed that my kids are behind me, I would rather have both hands on the pistol. Thank goodness for PJ pants with pockets.

Constantine, wow!! 700 lumens!! Do you set stuff on fire when you light it up? :)

Ha! Real talk, it's turned on twice in my pocket and I've realized it because my leg felt like it was on fire.

Buy yes, I have that on me at all times and at night I attach my Streamlight TLR-1s for CCW and HD.

You don't point a gun at anything unless you already know you're willing to shoot it. You don't point your gun with a flashlight on it at something to see what it is.

I disagree. A quality light will illuminate enough of an average household room that you need not point it AT the dark figure, but maybe at the low ready, or toward the corner 30 degrees away with your finger off the trigger. That will illuminate enough to allow you to determine friend or foe, and identify a threat or non-threat.

I do also have, and am trained to use, the FBI flashlight technique. But I prefer to have a free hand for defense, opening doors, turning on lights, and grabbling if necessary, grabbing something like the phone, keys, a small child if needed, etc.

If it would fit in my holster, I'd carry it on my carry gun. But the bulk is prohibitive. And when I'm out in public, I'm generally in well light areas, and can't imagine much scenario where I can't identify a threat versus non-threat. I'm awake and alter and have situational awareness.

Different from that is Home Defense. Nightstand gun has light. I expect it to be handy. If I'm at home, I may be awoken and need immediate light.

I prefer to light the house with a central source of light than enables me to see anything I need to see. Besides, if awoken my eyes are dark-adjusted anyway. It's amazing what you can see with just a little light if you try.

I agree with Leadcounsel, you don't need to point your weapon mounted light directly on somesone, you could shine it on the floor and it would bounce the light enough to light up the whole room.

I do not use a weapon mounted light on any of my hand guns. I keep a normal 2 AA cell Mag Light. I can see what I need without having to point my weapon the direction of what I am trying to see better with the light. Also they cost money I would rather spend on other stuff like more guns, or reloading supplies. I will knock the use of them if one trains with them. I just do not have much use for one in the things that I do.

I do however have a light on my air rifle that is used for varmints in the dark. It also has a laser. I can see the critter, and where the laser is on them.

I shoot a whole lot better with two hands, so I like the mounted light.
I also have white ceilings that make engaging the light while in the high ready very illuminating (pardon the pun). ;)

They are great bullet magnets. My Grandad who was a cop in Milwaukee during the 1920's and 30's taught me the correct tactics when I was a wee lad......

Modern force on force training backs this up. There is a reason police are taught to shoot with their off hand. In real fights many people are shot in the hands/arms. It is also nice to be able to roll your light into an unknown dark room without entering when clearing a building.

raimius said:
I shoot a whole lot better with two hands,...
Which suggests to me that you might want to start training some more in one handed shooting. And there are some techniques which allow a good two handed grip on a pistol while holding a flashlight.

I keep a normal 2 AA cell Mag Light.

A flashlight with a simple On/Off tail cap switch would serve you better than a twist switch.

My EDC flashlight is a Streamlight MicroStream. It uses a single AAA, has a tail cap On/Off switch, and puts out enough light to quickly ID threats. I clip it to the outer corner of my front pocket. I wear it all day and I don't notice it's there.

streamlight-microstream-led-pen-light-matte-black.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your civil and thoughtful posts!

I agree - whichever system one chooses, they should learn how to use that system properly and then practice.

Cheers!

Which suggests to me that you might want to start training some more in one handed shooting. And there are some techniques which allow a good two handed grip on a pistol while holding a flashlight.
True, but the majority shoot better when using two hands. Why not take advantage of that? One-handed shooting (dominant and weak side) are valuable skills to have, but I don't recommend discounting the easiest grip to get fast, accurate hits.

raimius said:
...the majority shoot better when using two hands. Why not take advantage of that?...
Because in an emergency you might not have two hands available. Circumstances might require that you put your sidearm to use with only one hand.

The NYPD publishes a report every year of firearm discharges by officers. Each year between 20% and 40% or line-of-duty shots in violent encounters are taken one-handed.

So if your interest in the use of a handgun for self defense you really can't ignore the possibility that you will need to shot one-handed.

I agree - whichever system one chooses, they should learn how to use that system properly and then practice.

I totally agree with her, by the way I really like the grips you make and welcome to the forum.

My personal preference, (yes preference) is to mount a gun light on the pistol before it goes on the night stand.

It saves me from having to look for two things instead of just picking up the weapon system and getting to work. It provides an additional aid in aiming the pistol as well without using the sights.

As my 18 year old daughter (now 26) frond out one night at 3:00 am while sneaking in the backdoor, her father keeps a weapon light on his pistol at night. It was pointed at the floor 10 feet in-front of her and in her panic she let out "is that a gun in your hand", my reply of course was "is your cell phone broken?"

Know your target use a light.
Jim

Frank, to keep the discussion going, wouldn't one handed shots benefit from having a light included (roughly) on the bore axis?

In reality, I think the best solution is "BOTH." A competent shooter should be able to use weapon-mounted and handheld lights, and quickly deliver accurate shots from strong, weak, and both hands. The set-up for HD/CCW should reflect each user's preferences and abilities (after exploring techniques in training).

I use the Harries technique, except for close-quarters, danger close type situations where I use a one-handed technique developed by Ken Good (back when he was with SureFire).

One-handed, I grip the flashlight in my support hand the same way as I do the Harries method but I hold the flashlight just below the side of my chin. My firing arm can either be extended or in the close-quarters position depending on the situation. It works very well for danger close work (blind spots and opening doors) when spontaneous threats may appear.

It's easy to smoothly transition back and forth between the Harries and the Good method to adapt to changing situations I encounter during my movement.

WESH.com white light use of force event(LE) WARNING: graphic content....

I just checked on www.wesh.com the NBC affiliate in Orlando/Daytona Beach Florida.
A group of police officers had a use of force event using sidearms with white lights.
A violent subject took a hostage in a bedroom. The uniformed officers look like they had Glocks but it's not confirmed. The caliber(s) are unknown.

WESH has the event recorded from multiple angles/officers with the new body-cam systems. The PD released the unedited footage to the local media.
NOTE: the video contains graphic real images & profane language.

I think all armed professionals & CCW license holders could benefit from watching this clip to see how white lights & lethal force events in low light really happen. Tactics or firearm instructors should pass it on too.

BTW; Id post the link directly but I'm not sure how to do it with the multiple camera angles.

Clyde

Excellent video, Clyde! Thanks for sharing it.

An interesting question is: What happens if intruder gets inside one's house and takes one of your family members hostage in the dark? What would be preferred method of light use: mounted or separate? In this situation, stress levels would be exponentially greater than dealing with typical intruder situation (i.e., when all family members are together in "safe room" or at least not in the hands of the intruder) and requirements for shot placement exponentially greater. This has got to be one of the worst possible situations that we, civilian gun owners, can find ourselves in.

Back