Argh! Police and Coyotes!

HKuser, I was talking about deliberately leaving poison on property NOT yours, whether or not to control any wildlife. Did you read the post?
HKuser said:
Children old enough to go onto an abandoned property with dangerous predators around and deliberately drink...
azredhawk44 said:
I routinely see 5-6 year old children running around and they are unsupervised for the most part.

Where are the drinking teenagers listed? Please refrain from personal attacks of an unsubstantiated nature, lest you be assumed to be that which you proclaim of others.

What are you talking about? Drinking teenagers? Nowhere mentioned. Where did I say anything about drinking teenagers? He said that is a 2-3 acre abandoned house with coyotes lurking. I don't know where you let your 5 years old play but I would think that most would stay away. I also think that any old enough to go there would also be old and smart enough to not drink antifreeze off the ground.

Please refrain from personal attacks of an unsubstantiated nature

This is solely in your imagination, there were none.

If you mean this:
They must grow 'em particularly dumb in AZ.

It refers to the children that you worry will drink anti-freeze while avoiding all the other dangers already listed, not you. So cool your jets and read a little closer. If you're from Arizona, I was unaware, but I think the kids are probably more sensible than you give credit. Amazing.

Redhawk: Have you tried to flag down a police patrol car and tell them where the den is. Maybe if you talk right at a policeman you'll get results?

Where I live that would work. They'd take care of the problem in a heartbeat.

xrocket's is the perfect solution ... worked in the media for years, this is a dream story ... children and pets in jeopardy, great chance for film at 11 of the marauding predators, a chance to take a shot at bumbling LEs who don't care if the kiddies and pets get et ... your problem will be solved in less than a week ... I guarantee it ...

My little coyote sighting

I spotted two coyotes running together at about 65TH Ave and Greenway Rd here in Phoenix on the Az Canal path (at night). I had my Surefire G3(P91) flashlight in hand so I watched them run down into the dry canal with their heads turned, looking at me (with glowing green eyes).
That woke me up a bit, but I honestly was glad they weren't one of the popular domesticated dogs, trained to attack. I just had pepper spray on me, but would feel better with a firearm, just in case.

Last edited:
do not leave poison around!

pets may get at that poison, pets that children love die horribly in front of them.
My sisters cat was poisoned, it badly affected her to see it.
it is a cruel, mean & stupid thing to do.

What are you talking about? Drinking teenagers? Nowhere mentioned. Where did I say anything about drinking teenagers? He said that is a 2-3 acre abandoned house with coyotes lurking. I don't know where you let your 5 years old play but I would think that most would stay away. I also think that any old enough to go there would also be old and smart enough to not drink antifreeze off the ground.

Didn't this all begin with a threat to a domestic dog? If I lived in an area where a 2-3 acre lot was the "woods" that's where I'd take my dog. I'd be especially keen on taking her there if I knew that she might drive off a few coyotes, not everyone owns little terriers that they need to worry about.

do not leave poison around!
pets may get at that poison, pets that children love die horribly in front of them.
My sisters cat was poisoned, it badly affected her to see it.
it is a cruel, mean & stupid thing to do.

I agree with you thrgunsmith. I should have said something before. There is no way of knowing what living thing will suffer/die because of it.

Coyotes sightings are on the rise everywhere, not just AZ. I saw one a few days ago in that Liberal Mecca of Brookline Massachusetts.
(borders Boston on 3 sides. Birthplace of JFK and Conan O'Brien)
I was driving by the golf course and saw a few people out on one of the putting greens when a coyote ran right by them. I even saw the shocked look on their faces when they realized what it was! The coyotes around here are getting increasingly bold because nobody has ever taken a shot at them. And I'm sure they'll remain safe too because Brookline rountinely refuses to issue gun permits to their residents. I took photos of a coyote sitting in an empty parking lot next to a major road in Watertown Mass, which also borders Boston.
A few years ago, in a town near Cape Cod, a coyote grabbed a 4 year old girl right off a swing in her front yard and tried to drag her off. Luckily her mother and a neighbor heard the screams and came running to help. Her mother hit and kicked the coyote while the neighbor hit it with a rake. The coyote finally let go of the little girl and ran off and fortunately the girl only suffered some minor bite wounds.
The truth is that coyotes are everywhere, and they're here to stay, and stories like these are will only become more and more common.

The coyotes around here are getting increasingly bold because nobody has ever taken a shot at them. And I'm sure they'll remain safe too because Brookline rountinely refuses to issue gun permits to their residents.

Well, don't poison them for god's sake! Some irresponsible pet owner who lets their dogs and cats roam free might see Rover die. It's much better that the little girl is part of the food cycle now, you'll just have to live with it.:rolleyes:

I'm almost tempted to say the problem could be solved with $10 worth of gasoline and a highway flare or a flare gun.

Where's the safety on this thing? *POP* Oh, it hit that old house over there!

Quick get the garden hose! Oh, darn. It won't reach. Quick the fire extinguisher!

No, not that little one for the kitchen, the big one. No, not the one out of the car... the one in the hall closet... What do you mean no pressure?

Ahh.. never mind, just go call the fire department.

Seriously, the most likely way to get the city off it's collective donut-eating bureaucratic lard is the local News and/or newspaper. Especially if you can get some good video of them brazenly walking around in yards & streets. :cool:

Well, don't poison them for god's sake! Some irresponsible pet owner who lets their dogs and cats roam free might see Rover die. It's much better that the little girl is part of the food cycle now, you'll just have to live with it.

I've got to say that I'm surprised that coyotes have managed to become boogeymen on a gun forum.

I've got to say that I'm surprised that coyotes have managed to become boogeymen on a gun forum.

It's not the coyotes per se...

I'm not afraid of them. I don't even worry about my dogs too much. The two of them would send a 4-pack of coyotes running. I do worry about the vet bills and rabies concerns that might follow, but that's about it.

What most concerns me, and why I started this post:

It's the idea that a pack of 40 pound scavengers/predators could very easily be eliminated from my neighborhood by judicious use of a rimfire rifle in a very safe manner. But local regulations make it impossible to do so, and local law enforcement have absolutely no interest in fixing the situation themselves, and state game and fish department still hasn't done anything about it.

In a country founded upon the idea of self-determination, self-sufficiency and equal rights of men pertaining to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... there is a very clear unaddressed threat to small children in my neighborhood and to property of residents in the area. And all residents in the area are prohibited from addressing the problem.

It's the lack of control over the situation that irks me.

Back