Are you a handgun, rifle, shotgun or machinegun person?

Are you a handgun, rifle, shotgun or machinegun person?

• Handgun

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Machinegun

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

Are you a handgun, rifle, shotgun or machinegun person? By whatever definition you use. And I realize there are variations like Sub-machineguns, Carbines, etc. but choose the answer which most closely fits you.

Wonder if the results would be different if they were categorized by age.
Gotta' think handguns are more popular with the older crowd.
Less trauma on old bones.
Hate to admit it, but even .22 rimfire rifles can leave bruises after awhile, these days.

Rifle

I love shooting rifles, more than handguns. SKS, M1 Garand, AR-15 or my 22s just something about poking holes at a distance.
:D

I like guns of all varieties, but I enjoy handguns most. An occasional round of trap or poking holes at a distance is a great time. I really am not that particular. Probably 80 or 90 percent of my shooting time is with handguns.

Thinking about why I prefer handguns, it comes down to what fits my time, travel, & -to a lesser extent - budget. Not close to retirement, work & church fill my time. I don't have land beyond my one acre, but I belong to the only private range (outdoor) nearby & it has a great selection of steel targets & a variety of bays and a covered line for both handgun & rifle plus a shotgun area with a clay "tosser".

I usually just have a couple of hours or less to shoot on Saturdays. While shooting rifles for distance or shotgun clays is fun, I find I enjoy those best when they are at least a half-day long activity. And cleaning the long guns takes me longer than handguns. I can roll into the range and shoot handguns for an hour or less by myself, or a couple of hours with a friend and shoot enough to make me a happy guy. And field stripping & cleaning a couple of handguns only takes 15-20 minutes when I get home.

I started shooting later than a lot of folks who are as DEEP in it as we are. I was 15yrs old. Started with .22 rifles and joined up with a club Four Position Smallbore team. Around the same time I began shooting skeet regularly... first was 1-2rds, once a week and shortly after, upgraded to twice a week, 6-8 rounds.

Even with that set schedule... I very quickly grew in to a complete handgun enthusiast. Almost 30 yrs later, I do a little rifle... I do almost zero shotgun of any manner and handguns are my passion.

Where's the "all of the above" option?
I like battle rifles (: and semi autos
I rented a colt sub gun and I loved it
If it goes boom I like it(:

Last edited:
I think it's really a tie for me. Handguns and rifles. I went with handguns, since that's really was my first focus and, these days, what I have done the most work with.
But I still love rifles. Like Sevens, I was a 4H 3P kid, back in the day and the discipline and focus of rifle shooting remains something close to my heart.
For the most part I shoot my pistols or dink around with whatever battle rifle for funsies, but when I want some Zen time, I get out my SKS, which is the closest thing around here for getting what I love out of rifle shooting.

In fact, I still kind of roll my eyes about the fact that my Dad, in a very typical clueless male fashion, bought me a plastic 10/22 for my 18th birthday. A single shot, heavy bolt would have been much more in line with what I like.

Not quite sure what you mean by a ______ person.??

Do you mean own one? Shoot one? Like them? Pretty broad subject, and yes, your poll desperately needs an "All" button.

In fact, I would rate it:

1) semi-auto pistols
2) revolvers
3) handloading
4) rimfire handguns
...and rifles somewhere in the middle, shotguns at the bottom and machine guns lower than shotguns.

All of the above except I'm not really into shooting shotguns and really only see them as tools for bird hunting.

Kind of hard to be a machine gun person with current law though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back