Are we too security conscious?

While it's true that not all Muslims are terrorists, almost all the people trying to hurt us are young Muslim men.

But we can't profile. Heaven forbid.

How would profiling against Muslims even be possible? Can you tell someone is Muslim just by looking at them?

How would profiling against Muslims even be possible? Can you tell someone is Muslim just by looking at them?

Visas/passports from Arabic countries. Arabic/Muslim names. Flight destinations/origins. Are they carrying a Koran? Are they wearing a Burka?

There are plenty of ways to somewhat determine race/nationality/religious denomination.

Are there ways to circumvent these stereotypes by terrorists? Yes. But, so far they have not done so. So until they begin to do so, we should work with the tools and information which we have access to.

While it's true that not all Muslims are terrorists,

Analogy: Not all gunowners are trigger-happy whackjobs just aching to go on shooting sprees.

But we can't profile. Heaven forbid.

Alternative: behavioral profiling, i.e., people wearing coats on hot summer days, pregnant women travelling alone, etc. They do it at Ben Gurian.

The same could be said for a lot of racially charged hate crimes in the South. They should be looking for white folks...

Shows you don't know what you are talking about. I remember many years ago a cross burning in the yard of a certain black man that lived on my Grand-Father's farm. Turned out that the people who did it were members of his church trying to scare him into admitting that he was stealing from the church. Over the years I have come to discover that most of these "hate" crimes in the South that we hear so much about have absolutely nothing to do with race, religion etc. These people are usually just mean and hate everyone equally.:(

Shows you don't know what you are talking about. I remember many years ago a cross burning in the yard of a certain black man that lived on my Grand-Father's farm.

Many years ago? How many years ago?

5 years ago, my cousin lived in Louisiana. He was beat up by a gang of 6 African American youths. He was about 23 at the time. He was unable to give a description of the perpetrators early in the investigation because he had an inflamation of the brain because he had a severe concussion; his speech was disturbed and his short-term memory had ceased for those first couple days.

I don't know how the Police handled it in that first 24 hours, but they sure as hell should have known this was a crime racially charged.

Putting a burning cross in someone's yard is NOT a VIOLENT CRIME. It is disturbing and wrong, yes. But, it is not a crime.

Beating someone to a pulp because he is white, dragging a man through town behind a vehicle because he is black or say...FLYING A PLANE into a building on purpose ARE VIOLENT CRIMES and due diligence should be made to find and prevent the people who commit them from commiting them.

We're not too securitry conscious. We're too "appearance of security" conscious. There is negligible added security in the knee-jerk policies of byuurokrattz. A more genuine form of security would be encouraging decent people to carry firearms everywhere (minus jails). In addition to that, the idea of profiling arab muslims would also contribute to security. But if I were given a choice between liberty and security, I would choose liberty.

galavanter said:
choice between liberty and security, I would choose liberty.

I value liberty myself. But there does need to be some level of security. That's why I started this thread. Where's the line?

At this hospital is a secure section referred to as "2B." It has psychiatric patients there, as well as patients adjudicated as criminally dangerous.

I buzzed in once to take a patient to the in-house clothing store for new pants. I had nothing but a volunteer's badge.

What's to stop a friend of a criminal from volunteering, signing out the patient and walking out the front door?

My question is when is 'enough' turn into 'too much'?

Security is inherent within liberty. Government-imposed security measures are often feel-good, appearance-of-security situations that are marginally effective at best. And the more gov't-imposed security we have, the less America will be America. Liberty is moral and effective. The more people who carry, the safer we'll be, and the more dangerous it will be for criminals and terrorists.

galavanter said:
The more people who carry, the safer we'll be, and the more dangerous it will be for criminals and terrorists.

I believe this, myself. However, I used the backdrop of the hospital (and my personal experience) as the start of a debate. We all know that I could have begun my observations while in a school.

(My wife is a teacher, and they are now struggling with security, the procedures used by teachers and a new police intervention program called "condition black." This is how an armed SWAT team enters and neuteralizes a school, replete with young children, to quell an assault.)

Now, this is a true story. Many years ago, this same school started to get serious about security. During many hours of the day, the school was locked down. All visitors had to report to the main office to obtain a badge.

Truth be told, it was a good idea in theory. Many times I had dropped by the school in road clothes to deliver something to my wife, and walked right into her office unchallenged.

The school decided to start paging for security using the made up name of a school teacher. For example, if you heard the page, "Will Mr. AusVenner report to the main office," that was the annoucement that LEO's had been summoned and a possible pedator was loose in the building.

One night I went to pick up my wife and found the place locked and a teacher monitoring the front door. Through the door she asked me my name, and without thinking I said, "Mr. AusVenner."

She laughed and opened the door.

Yikes, anyone could have learned that code. A teacher could have slipped it out at our local gym. A maintenance man might have bragged about it at a nearby saloon. Heck, there really might have been a guy named 'AusVenner.'

Proper security balanced against freedom and the right to privacy. Having been through the system, I'm no longer sure of a correct answer.

Security is inherent within liberty. Government-imposed security measures are often feel-good, appearance-of-security situations that are marginally effective at best. And the more gov't-imposed security we have, the less America will be America. Liberty is moral and effective. The more people who carry, the safer we'll be, and the more dangerous it will be for criminals and terrorists.

Exactly. If any attempted suicidal nutcase's rampage went more like:

"Allahu" *BLAM* *BLAM* "Ack..." *thump*

...we'd really not have to worry. :)

Back