Are We Better Off Gun Wise Than In Past Years?

Are gun rights more or less restrictive than past years?

• Have become more restrictive

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Less restrictive..better of than past years.

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Stayed about the same

Votes: 16 18.2%

• Total voters
Well, when I finally turned old enough to buy a gun, AWB wouldn't let me buy a tacticool AR15 with all the trimmings.

And now I can. Mall ninjas unite! Relative for someone my age, gun rights have become better. As for all you old fogies out there, who orded guns out of the Montgomery Ward's catalogue, or took school-sponsored rifle practice, well.

Relative for someone my age, gun rights have become better.

No argument, but the question criteria was based on starting about 1934. I understand that's a stretch for some, so maybe I should have worded it a little different. With that said, the new restrictions on guns in some states is troubling to say the least. Example, this thing of getting a permit for one gun purchase three weeks waiting time is a bit much.

It depends on your time frame and which rights you are talking about. I can remeber when you could buy a gun through the mail and have it delivered to your house. I can remember when they did not have to call in a background check, just do the paperwork and keep it on file. There are other examples.

On the other hand, back then, most states either had very tight restrictions on carry, either open or concealed, or no carry at all allowed. So, it seems like a mixed bag of results.

My grandparents have an old "Book of Knowledge" encyclopedia set. I remember reading through it as a child. I loved those books very much. One thing that stands out is all of the old advertisements in the books from which you could order actual machine guns, anti-tank cannons, recoilless rifles, etc., and have them delivered right to your door. If that is the state that we should be at...then we are nothing less than oppressively restrictive.

Too many people only see the short term and base their answer off of their limited memory.

This is no longer the land of the free.

I'm 43, and in my lifetime things have improved. What I find interesting is that hunting is declining, but there are still plenty of people who own guns. The increase in relatively, relative to my adult lifetime, sane state CCW laws is encouraging.

The Supreme Court is going to have a huge impact on this soon when they rule on the D.C. case.

Does anyone have a top ten list of todays worst states for gun restrictions? On another thread these 8 were listed.

California
Illinois
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Hawaii

Far less restrictive since the Clantons left office!:D

Back to far more restrictive if the Democrats gain the White House and Congress!:(

divemedic

The GOPA of 1986 is actually a very good law that happened to have The Hughes Amendment "Closing of the machinegun registry" added as a kill amendment late at night using an unrecorded voice vote.

Here is a good write up. GOPA of 1986

The "Safe passage" provision was especially important.

I really hope that DC vs Hell opens the door for challenging the Hughes Amendment. We won't know until the ruling is issued.

As a 50 year old, I find things much different. Growing up it was quite acceptable for a 7 year old to be in the front yard shooting a BB gun.

Hell I had a .22 and was allowed to walk about with it after lizards, rabbits or what not.

Now days if I was to allow my seven year old to do the same on my own property, I would end up in the clink for child neglect, endangerment or some other crap!

As a teen , I use to strap on my S&W Kit gun , jump on the motor cycle , drive to the store and purchase a box of ammo. No Questions asked.

A LEO would pull up beside me at a red light and ask, " Going to the wash? " My Answer, " Yep " His Reply " Careful, the last time I was out there the road was washed out! "

You Bet times have changed.

Kids have changed! Now days some of them are urban warriors!

Although I am 17 turning 18 in 12 days too young to know much about the world.
From what I heard and looked into we are in much more restrictive times then what it was back 30-50 years ago.
21 to get a ccw sometimes no ccw at all or very hard to get one?
21 to buy a handgun at dealer sometimes even private deal
registration of handguns or long guns
ammo micro stamp bill
car gun storage requirements
prohibited places to carry regardless if you have a ccw
No Machine guns in civilian market made after 1986
GCA 68 a registry of prohibited buyers and ban on certain imported guns
AWB revival attempts
License to own or buy a handgun or long gun
stricter background checks then before
waiting periods
house storage requirements and inspections
safety lock requirements
Bans on certain guns and ammo capacity
Approved handgun list

Thats just a some of the restrictions there are plenty more and I say we are in a sink hole that is getting bigger and deeper every year that goes by.

Living in Massachusetts my view might be a bit jaded, I will say things are getting more restrictive across the country. At one time Mass was a great state in terms of gun laws, then in 1998 everything went to pot with the passing of one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. I see the same happening in several other states. While things might be better in much of the country, at least half of the nations population lives in states with strict gun laws. The Federal laws have become stricter over the years. Overall things are getting worse at the Federal level, and in several states.

No, we are NOT better off

If someone takes from you a dollar, and then gives you back a penny, or even a nickel, are you better off then you were when you still had the dollar?

Not in my book. Remember these numbers, 1934, 1968, 1986, 1994. Which year will be the next one?

You can look at the increase in states allowing CCW with a permit, as a good thing, but if you look back to when they took that right from us, how can you really be comfortable with having to get the state's permission, now that they have generously decided to grant it, under certain conditions, and for a fee?

100 years ago, people were still people, just as they are today. But there were differences. Self defense, with deadly force was considered not only right, but proper. Deadly force in defense of property was also considered correct. People convicted of crimes went to prison and stayed there until their entire sentence was carried out. People were hung for capital crimes, usually within a few weeks after their convictions. Any and every firearm could be bought by anyone with the money. Firearms could be carried openly or concealed without causing panic or alarm amongst the general populace. There were shooting galleries in virtually every major city. Proficiency with a firearm was regarded as an admirable and honorable trait. True, there was much social injustice, and everyone did not have equal rights under the law. We have progressed mightly is some areas, and lost much in others.

1934 - ended general legal ownership of machine guns, short barreled shotguns and rifles, stocked pistols, and noise reduction devices comonly called silencers. Ownership was still allowed, but only if registered with the Fed Govt, and upon payment of a ruinously expensive (in 1934 dollars) tax.
1968 - ended mail order sale of firearms, established Federal age limits on purchase of firearms (18 for long guns, 21 for handguns), established a unified federal licensing system for firearms dealers and record keeping requirements for firearm purchases, required all firearms to have serial numbers, and created a record keeping requirement for ammunition purchase (later dropped).
1986 - corrected flaws and prevented abuses of the laws from the 1968 act, however a last minute amendment (passed by non-recorded voice vote) froze the Federal machine gun registry, so that no new weapons could be added.
1994 - The federal Assault Weapons Ban, which banned NO assault weapons, restricted sale of many formerly legal design features of military looking semi autos, banned sale of new manufactured magazines of over 10 round capacity to the public. The only bright spot in this law was that it got passed with a sunset provision, and 10 years later it died and the restrictions removed.

And our current Democratic presidential candidates have stated that they will try and reinstate the AWB, if elected.

Are we better off than we were? NO! Are we better off than we could be? Yes. But we could be in a society where ALL firearms are prohibited to private citizens. Many people, including wealthy influential people (who can have paid "professional" security - men with firearms-) would like the rest of us to be there, and spend their time and money to see that we get there.

Firearms (protection and sport) for the "nobility" (wealthy elitists) and none for the peasantry (common man) is where they wish us to be. And the have gotten us a long way down that path. They have managed to go even farther with the rest of the world, but then, the rest of the world doesn't have the pesky 2nd Amendment thing written into the highest law of the land. They are still working on it though, and they won't give up, convinced as they are of their moral rectitude.

Does anyone have a top ten list of todays worst states for gun restrictions? On another thread these 8 were listed.
California
Illinois
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Hawaii

I see the dark horse state not listed that definitely should have been: Wisconsin...

You can look at the increase in states allowing CCW with a permit, as a good thing, but if you look back to when they took that right from us, how can you really be comfortable with having to get the state's permission, now that they have generously decided to grant it, under certain conditions, and for a fee?

Of course I see it as a good thing. It gives more citizens the right to carry doesn't it? It may not be what we want, which is NO "permit". But, it's step in the right direction. As we prove the fact that allowing CCW to happen in states actually lowers crime, the momentum can continue to shift towards ALL of our rights restored...

Good post, by the way, .44AMP.

I do think from 1934 to date, OVERALL, it's been more restrictive. But, I think by June things will start to look brighter in our future. Plenty of obstacles to climb. My prediction is that it will take 12-16 years before it's in full swing of our rights being fully restored on the subject of the 2A.

Back