Are there any calibres you are or were drawn to without...

350 legend, 270 WSM and 45/70 were the 3 I was drawn to and bought. My 350 is an AR platform where my 270 WSM was a Tikka T3 Lite SS lefty as I’m southpaw and my 45/70 was a Marlin 1895g. Biggest regret was selling the 45/70. I would like to next own a 22 hornet, and a 280 AI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7x57 Mauser...

There are a bunch of cartridges that are probably just as good or better in a wider variety of rifles and with more abundant and less expensive ammo, but the historical aspect appeals to me. And I really like books by Jim Corbett, and he used a 7x57 rifle--well, his was called a .275 Rigby since it was British-made, but basically the same thing.

357 Sig . I love a handloading challenge, everyone complains about 357 Sig being a PIA to reload, I wanted to prove them wrong..... They were right. LOL

44 cal BP cap-n-ball handgun , shooting is in SLOW MOTION , but relaxing.

38 super. Uses common cheap 9mm bullets but delivers higher performance. Once you've had a good 38 Super, you realize just how good a cartridge it is compared with 45acp and many other common rounds. It's pretty flat shooting in the hotter loads and has low recoil in compact 1911s. Works really well out of a kimber 4" HD Pro Carry! 45 acp out of a commander has more muzzle flip.

For me it’s the 357sig and 10mm one of them will almost surely be my next hand gun . 357sig more likely then the 10mm cus they use 9mm bullets . If I get a 10mm it means I’ve got to tool up for everything including bullets cus I don’t have a 40cal either .

I may get a clock 10mm and a 357sig barrel for it . Only issue is I’m not a glock fan but that is likely only because here in CA we can only buy the gen3 which has the finger groves . My problem is my big sausage fingers don’t fit in the groves comfortabley to the point of being quite uncomfortable. I still pick one up and feel them out about once a year at the gun store but I can never bring my self to buy something I know I’ll be unhappy with .

220 Swift. I searched for one back in the 80’s, before companies started offering it again in new rifle. I had read about the cartridge, and I wanted one. Finally found a well used tang safety Ruger 77V at a gun show. Still have it. Still shoot it.

I had to buy Norma factory ammo and then reload the brass.

There have been several that caught my attention but only a few that I actually tracked down and bought. A few of them that I have bought include the .17 Hornet, .22-K Hornet, and the .300 Blackout. I've wanted a .250 Savage for a long time for some reason I can't explain and since I'm not buying guns like I used to it'll probably be one that I never get...

My .300 Blackout is a single shot and I almost exclusively shoot cast bullets from it with light loads. I think of it as a modern .32-20. I could hunt with it if I need to, but I don't so I probably won't... :)

Tony

I have never fired .38 Super. I did have a gun for it but I traded it off before I ever got a chance to shoot it. It was a foolish move on my part.

10mm: I bought a Springfield Range Officer Elite Operator in it. For disclosure, I'm well tuned to my XD Service model chambered in .40SW. Although a neutered version of the 10mm, the behavior of the round is similar.

6.5-284Norma: Bought a KRG Bravo 1500 chambered in 6.5Creedmoor. Having my gunsmith punch it out to the Norma without ever firing that round in anything. Been eyeballing that cartridge for a LONG time. Couldn't help myself after my gunsmith offered his services with a rifle such as this one.

6.5x55Swedish: Swedish Mausers in the mid '90's were fairly plentiful and I like to collect Mil-Surps. They were pretty cheap at the time and they're legendary in Europe due to low recoil and superb accuracy. As soon as mine came in, I took it to the range and have been in love ever since.

7.62x39: Bought a WASR-10. Took it to the range and fired a couple hundred rounds. Wife and I both were not impressed. Sold it for a little more than we paid for and moved on. One of the few firearms that I sold in my lifetime.

Heck, I just ordered one - 7.5 FK. But at least it comes with the 9mm barrel and I can get a 10mm/ .40 one so I'm not way out in left field.

There are a bunch that I love the idea of that I'm reasonably certain I would enjoy - mostly on the low recoil side since it's more conducive to my shooting - but either haven't been able to justify financially or haven't found the right platform yet

.22 TCM
.327 Federal Magnum
6mm ARC
9X39mm
.30 Luger
.277 Sig/ Fury (not even sure that one's practically available yet)

I'm sure I could sit here for quite some time watching the cursor blinking in this box while I came up with more and more examples. Variety is the spice of life.

The only cartridge that I have ever fired before buying a gun chambered for it is the .22 Long Rifle. Everything else...380, 9mm, 38 Spl., 357 Mag, 40S&W, 44 Mag, 45ACP and 45 Colt, I bought the gun first, because I wanted guns all across the spectrum. I didn't worry about what it would "feel" like. I just figured that I'd get used to it, and I did.

Along the way, I would've liked to have been able to shoot a 38 Super, since I've heard a lot of good things about that cartridge through the years. Maybe, even a screamer like the 9x23.

The next step in my progression would be something in the nature of a 454 Casull. But, I'm at the point and age now where another new gun on that level would just be silliness and the expense would be foolish. So, I'm good.

6mm PPC....How can it be sooooo accurate in so many different rifles?!

280AI.....It is just about the most perfectly balanced western game round....or better yet the 300 Sherman!

300 blackout....really darn near the ultimate SBR round.

458 Lott....big enough for anything on earth....cheap enough for anyone on earth to shoot.

45 Auto.....Good as it gets until they make a 46 auto!

45 Colt....This is the start of big bore revolvers. Loaded to 30ksi, it really sings!

Back