Are the Handi Rifles Still Made?

When I was a kid, forgot about these, I had a .223 and the next year a .243. I remember them being heavy compared to the .30-30 lever I had before them. But as an adult I’ve got a thick walled .45-70 NEF and it’s light compared to most rifles.

I had forgot about the CVA guns.
The trick to get a very light handy in 243 was to buy the youth model. The barrel was shorter and had a rapid taper. Super sweet. That would also require a stock swap. The choat plastic stock was lighter and provided an adult LOP. That could be ordered after market or from H&R. Most customers never did the home work. The locals knew all the tricks. You could walk right in the front door in Gardner Mass. No BS, paranoid security.

The Henry, all Henries for that matter, are built like a tank. I dont think that company is run by gun people or hunters. I wonder about CVA. I believe they have a scout II with specs that read good.

I'm really curious about the CVA's.

There tends to be some pretty good sales on their rifles (and pistols!!!), but absolutely no one will ever admit to having fired one.

Academy Sports has CVA Hunter right now for $229.99, including a scope. (personally I'd throw away that scope and put on at least a Leupold VX-I or equivalent.)

My CVA Hunter 7mm-08 is the Youth model with shorter stock. I put on a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad, which lengthened the LOP to where it fits me well. (I'm 6 ft tall). The overall length of the gun is 3" less than a Ruger 10/22 and it weighs about the same. The stock feels solid and has regular sling studs, not the molded-in type that don't swivel.

I do have a CVA but it’s a .45 muzzleloader. Tack driver is all I can say. My dad had a .50 with a fluted barrel for a few years. I remember as a teenager he handed me the gun after he shot a tree and told me to hit the same spot. I did too. No rest but not far off either, 75 yards maybe. I keep forgetting CVA makes cartridge guns. I want one of their muzzle loader pistols.

After Remmy took control quality decreased. Go figure. I would not own anything with Remmy on it...unless it’s an older model. Their new stuff has a high % it’s going to be a lemon.

CVA "Handi-Rifle", .223 for sale:

Just got back from the club range, shooting with my buddy. He has a Handi-Rifle in .223 that shoots well, but he now has a bolt-action in that chambering, so wants to sell the break-open. It's in really good shape, so if someone is interested, he's willing to sell it for $200.

Picher

Last edited:
I'm really curious about the CVA's.

There tends to be some pretty good sales on their rifles (and pistols!!!), but absolutely no one will ever admit to having fired one.
CVA "Handi-Rifle", .223 for sale (Thought it was an H&R, but he messaged me with the correction):

Just got back from the club range, shooting with my buddy. He has a Single Shot-Rifle in .223 that shoots well, but he now has a bolt-action in that chambering, so wants to sell the break-open. It's in really good shape, so if someone is interested, he's willing to sell it for $200.

I have a CVA hunter converted to .358 Winchester. It is very accurate and kicks like a mule. My CVA scout is a pistol converted to .357 Maximum. It shoots as well as contenders.

The only accurate Handi rifle I have ever owned had $400 worth of work done on it by David White. It is also .357Max and shoots sub MOA. I put the ATI collapsable stock on it so grand kids could shoot .38 and .357 Mag out of it.

CVA Scouts and Hunters, Traditions G-2, and Henry Single shots are listed currently on bud's.

The H&R/NEF's are no longer made and they're really not worth buying anymore. I have an issue with one I bought used last year on gunbroker, light primer strikes. Not sure if it's the firing pin or the spring is weak, but either way I have no factory to send it to for repairs and it's not worth paying a gunsmith to fix.

Midland Arms is importing Khan single shot shotguns really cheap, but they're going to be offering rifle barrels for them. They'll be just like the Thompson Centers in that you don't have to have barrels fitted to the frame like the H&R required, so even if Midland goes out of business in 10 or 20 years, the barrels will still be available and be drop in fits.

Also, they fold up real nice

folding-shotgun-1200.jpg

Garden guns

I think that design came from the folding inexpensive shotguns, often known as a garden gun.
I too thought it was pretty cool the way they folded. Neat design. I am a fan of simple and effective. There is a certain elegance to simplicity when it is well executed.

Back