Are the Chiappa Rhino revolvers gtg? Owners and non-owners opinions welcome

The first picture above looks like a grenade got thrown at it. It must of been one heck of an explosion to shatter the grips. :confused:

Those pictures makes it look like casting issues and even though I can find pictures of destroyed guns of any brand from bad reloads/factory loads, it does make me think twice about them. There's a reason why people don't trust cast/mim parts. Voids will severely weaken the structural integrity.

It's a shame because I love revolvers, but they're all looking the same to me anymore. I guess I'll just look at the standard revolvers in the used section at my LGS.

The ugly vs non ugly argument will always exist, so you're on your own there.

I've been following these for a few years, I want one but can't justify the cost at this point.

Through my Google searches, it seems most of the issues early in manufacturing have been corrected and people that own them are generally very happy with them. I believe the trigger was a major complaint early on but has since been fixed.

I've not been keeping track, but I must have put at least 1500 rounds through mine. Runs fine. They had some early issues but those got fixed. I read up on it before buying. Someone was declaring the Rhino unreliable because an owner posted on here having to replace a plate after 10,000 rounds had been fired through his.
Not picking on you Seven, but I think that's the same story you tell every time and the date you originally mentioned it happened on (posts years ago) doesn't apply to any current manufacture as they have taken care of those issues.

There's no muzzle flip, even with .357 magnums. It pushes straight back. With .38s, you don't feel that much and it's not terribly different than firing a .22. .357s...you definitely feel that push back, but it's no big deal to handle. I offhand one hand fire .357 magnums with no problems. I pack my 40DS every day concealed carry, so I want to be at least vaguely familiar with how it will handle in less than ideal shooting. I've had a lot of people fire it and like it. My wife got to feel a little bad when she decided she really liked firing my 40DS...after she had pushed me to sell the 200D she had never fired....and now wanted.

Whenever there is a discussion about .357 magnum pistols, a lot of commentators state you should just fire .38s (or + pressure .38s) in self defense situations because of control issues with .357s. That's crap if you have a pistol that is designed right.

It doesn't matter if you never fired it and only hate it because you don't approve of the different looks. This is a tool to get the job done and it does a better job than conventional designs.

The 2nd pic that Safestuffer posted is my gun. And yes i had about 10,000 upper mid range loads through it. Dealing with their CS was kind of a PITA when i tried to get it fixed. But they did finally come through. However my confidence in the gun has been shaken and i think I've only fired maybe 3 times since i got it back.

I will say though, what people say about the muzzle flip and perceived recoil is true. The muzzle flip is greatly reduced and the recoil is very different for a revolver.

Andy Blozinsky, I hear what you are saying re: my specific example from a couple years ago but my larger point remains unchallenged...

It's an extremely complicated design -and- perhaps more importantly, Chiappa products across the board are not at all "confidence inspiring" in fit, finish and execution. Unlike many other gunmakers, this brand has simply NOT earned a recognized reputation for high quality.

The idea has a ton of merit and I long for the day when a proven quality gun manufacturer does their version of a bottom-chamber revolver. Your stance that "they have improved" doesn't solve that.

It's natural for me to offer the example of Taurus: I have owned and enjoyed a few Taurus handguns and in some cases, where the price is enticing and your life isn't on the line, you can end up with a decent handgun. But you must find that out on your own, on an individual gun by gun basis. Far more than you will with more respected brands. Your chance of buying JUNK is far, far higher with a Taurus than a S&W or Ruger.

It sounds like you have vetted your Chiappa and that is a great thing, but that doesn't make this a high quality product any more than a good example of a Taurus does.

And yes i had about 10,000 upper mid range loads through it.

That's a heck of a lot of rounds to put through a gun like this! While it should never have done what it did, it really wasn't designed to be a range gun. It's a poor design for the choice of materials used. The frame should be made out of forged steel and/or stainless steel. Just not enough material for the type of material used to hold up to that kind of abuse.

How is the finish on them? I can't find out anywhere what the finish actually is. I'm definitely going with a 60DS, but I can't decide between the white, black, or gold.

Back