Are the Chiappa Rhino revolvers gtg? Owners and non-owners opinions welcome

Nakanokalronin

I use to think Rhino revolvers looked a little strange, but they remind me of the Mateba which I've always liked and will probably never own. I know the Rhinos had some issues with screws backing out and I'm not sure if that's been addressed by the manufacture yet.

I've been looking at possibly getting a black 40DS in .357, but I'm leery about any issues with the screws. I know these revolvers get a bad rap brought on more about how they look, but I think they look pretty good. I already have standard S&Ws and Rugers and would like something different. The Rhino certainly fits the bill.

Any and all opinions welcome weather you own one or not.

If you want one, buy it.
Just check the screws regularly (as anyone should do with any firearm).

I wanted one as soon as I saw the first announcement (8 years ago?), but ended up changing my mind the moment that I finally had one in my hand.
The ergonomics simply didn't work for me. ...And that particular example had some mechanical issues. I've since decided that the problem with the piece that I handled was just a fluke (I've seen no other similar reports); but the ergonomics are still terrible for my hands.

I've had two and love them. I swapped out my snub nose for a nickel 40DS. It feels great with the stock wooden grip. I swapped out the rear sight for the lower profile sight off the 6" model with the fibre optic rods. Chiappa paid shipping and lightened my trigger for me. It's totally sweet. I use it for my concealed carry in a Kangaroo holster.

My local gun store had a couple in a few years ago. I handled one...Bleah...they finally sold them, and haven't gotten any more.

Yeah, I was wondering about these wheelguns the other day.

Although someone bought it, the LGS here had a blue 5" .40cal out on the shelf for about a week. I was always curious how these odd-looking revolvers held up over time if shot hard(?)

They were sponsors of the IRC this year and had a bunch to test shoot at the match. The also had sponsored shooters and a team. They seemed to do well. Unfortunately I did not get time to shoot any of the revolvers being I was part of the staff working the match.

There were two at my LGS a month ago, and I was tempted, but had already bought my quota for the time being (with the wife!LOL) so had to pass.

They look very clean machined.

There are some youtube videos of people shooting with them, and there seems to be zero muzzle flip. Hicok45 has a video shooting with one. He hates them because of the looks, but could find nothing bad to say about the function and design, and Yankee Marshall has a youtube video where he chose it as the top concealed carry gun, period.

Meh...from a non-owner.
This non-owner can't even be that kind!
The ugliest gun ever concieved with an overly complicated lock system using a hammer that isn't a hammer at all is far below indifference to me.

I'm definitely leaning towards buying one a little more. I think they look good, but I've noticed a lot of people don't like certain guns if they stray too far from the mold.

They are not exactly a solution to a non-problem, since the problem (muzzle rise) is real, but they are an answer to a problem that doesn't bother most folks. Further, the answer is complex, awkward, and creates more problems than it resolves, especially since the guns themselves have not been all that reliable or well made. I have handled and fired one, but were I to buy, it would be only as a novelty to go along with some of my other odd-ball guns.

Jim

No matter how good they may be, they are one ugly son of a bit#%.

They are not exactly a solution to a non-problem, since the problem (muzzle rise) is real, but they are an answer to a problem that doesn't bother most folks. Further, the answer is complex, awkward, and creates more problems than it resolves, especially since the guns themselves have not been all that reliable or well made.* * *

The above comments are good observations, ... and they're why I'm still on the fence about getting one. Thanks.

I really wanted one,
Then I gave it some thought...and now I don't.
Being that the chamber being fired is at the bottom of the gun, if there is a serious accident it won't blow up through the topstrap,
It will blow down through the frame, then through your hand, greatly increasing your chances of injury in a Kaboom.

rhino-kaboom-660x526.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/24/chiappa-rhino-kaboom/#disqus_thread

then this thread popped up over on THR;

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/chiappa-went-cha-put.773000/

Concerning a member's rhino that had cracked cleanly completely through the recoil shield.

index.php

Now I'm not interested.

Ouch! I never cared much for the looks of the Rhino. The only Rhino I own is a Yamaha, and I love it. I'll keep my S&W's, Colts and Rugers thanks.

Some people just can't get enough of them, but I tried one once at a range and that was enough for me!

The trigger just felt awful, and the single action "button" was ridiculous. I think the people that buy Chiappa Rhinos are those who don't know what a real revolver is supposed to feel like.

I believe they absolutely deliver when it comes to the idea of the (much!) lower bore axis, I have experienced live fire with a Rhino and for certain, this design handles the FELT recoil and definitely the muzzle flip better than a traditional revolver of similar mass.

But it's just not enough...
Look at a cutaway or a schematic of the design and it is complex, it doesn't appear simple or easy to pull this off well. On top of that, every Chiappa I have ever handled feels cheap, poorly made, finished poorly and not at all inspiring.

The kicker for me was having a salesman fish out a 6" Rhino at a very large local gun store. I asked if it would be okay for a few dry fires and he said "absolutely" and while both of us were surprised WHEN IT BROKE INTERNALLY while I was dry-firing, neither of us were shocked. I apologized profusely but he wouldn't accept -- he thanked me and pointed it that it is better for everyone involved if this thing broke over a friendly gun counter instead of on some poor guy's first range trip.

I've said it before and I absolutely believe it AND would back it up with cash money: let S&W or Ruger make a bottom-chamber design and when it meets their standards for durability, I would buy one.

Ugly as all burning hell but the idea is a very good one. But I wouldn't trust Chiappa to manufacture a tool as simple as a crowbar. It seems blatantly obvious that Chiappa makes crap firearms.

What I did hear at the IRC from folks is that the design of the Chiappa make it hard no near impossible to obtain the same trigger as one can get on a S&W revolver. The design itself is not conducive to a good trigger job. A downfall for folks who may want one for competition shooting. Fortunately S&W moon clips work in the Chiappa revolvers, and with that it puts them at a disadvantage being a six shot. There are different calibers in the works as in a 9mm and 45 acp

The only reason I don't like the Rhino is because the frame is alloy. If the frame was forged stainless or blued steel, I might be interested.

Back