Are the 223 WSSM, and the 243WSSM going obsolete?

Back when the .25 WSSM was new on the market, I bought a Model 70 Featherweight. I was so impressed with how well it functioned and how accurate it was, I ordered a case of ammo to build brass inventory, and put it away until my son comes of age. Real nice little set-up, no reliability issues whatsoever. Carries well, shoots like a dream, and looks nice, to boot.

Fast-forward a while, I saw another WSSM, the little .223. Some sort of camo-synthetic overmolded stock configuration. Thought it would make a neat little coyote rifle, and grabbed that one, too. Brought it home & put a 4.5 x 15 Conquest on it, and never fired it. Sits in the safe next to the .25 WSSM, but I'm not sure why? I guess it's just hard to admit that you've wasted a few hundred dollars on a whim. Six boxes of factory ammo getting old on the shelf, too. Guess I should start working them, or sell them?

I guess it's just hard to admit that you've wasted a few hundred dollars on a whim. Six boxes of factory ammo getting old on the shelf, too. Guess I should start working them, or sell them?

If your married what ever you do don't say that you never used it or that it was a waste of money. You'll never live it down.

mightyoakwildlife, I wouldn't call it a waste of money at all! If you start shooting the rifle and slightly reduce the loads, you will have an intense small bore that will kick butt! And it won't erode the throat any more than the 250 or the swift. Happy hunting!

Loving wife just says, "Oh, another gun? Don't you already have one like that?". She'll never know or care, until it's time to deal with my 'estate'. When that time comes, it's all on inventory, with all info. (when, where, price of purchase) and data on CD.

Downloading may be a good idea, if brass becomes an issue, but that's an option to be considered in the future. Maybe one my son will choose to explore.

I bought a A- bolt madalion in 243WSSM a few years back . It shoots really well . I kill coyotes at 300 yds. Last year I ordered an Olympic Arms upper with a 24 inch stainless bull barrel 1 x 10 twist .I'm just getting it dialed in now . This is a very versital round with all the 6mm leads available . you can shoot it from 2800 to 4200 fps MV . I like this round so well I'm ordering another upper from Mike at Dtech . He makes custom AR uppers with match grade barrels .Winchester and Browning may have given up on the 243wssm but I havn't .

I ordered a Oly arms UMAR in April of 2012 in 25 WSSM and am still waiting on it to arrive. So maybe they have stopped making them,,,lol. I talked to my dealer the other day about another gun that I ordered and he asked what do I want to do about the gun I ordered from Olympic arms. I told him that we would keep waiting I guess. I have called Oly many times and just keep veering excuse after excuse for delivery delays and so has my dealer. At this point I don't know if I will ever receive it.

Back