Are Silencers illegal???

By that logic Rockrz we shouldn't have mufflers on our cars. We should just wear ear protection. A car muffler and a suppressor for a gun are the exact same thing. A piece of safety equipment.

I know, but what most folks are worried about is the criminally minded sneaking up on people to shoot them in such a way that nobody close by will hear it. That would make it much easier to go out and murder someone and get away with it.

Cars without mufflers would be a major public nuisance since there are way, way more cars out there in use than there are people practicing in shooting ranges.

I know, but what most folks are worried about is the criminally minded sneaking up on people to shoot them in such a way that nobody close by will hear it. That would make it much easier to go out and murder someone and get away with it.

Cars without mufflers would be a major public nuisance since there are way, way more cars out there in use than there are people practicing in shooting ranges.

Most folks are idiots.

If somebody is willing to sneak up and execute people James Bond-style, they probably have little trouble with the idea of owning either an illegal silencer or an improvised one. Most "common" criminals use the threat of shooting somebody to get what they want (robbery, rape, etc.), and don't necessarily intend to fire anyway...so why would they need a silencer?

Restricting silencers is yet another regulation that's about the appearance of improving public safety rather than actually improving it.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken there are several countries in which firearms themselves are more strictly controlled, but suppressors are less controlled.

Restricting silencers is yet another regulation that's about the appearance of improving public safety rather than actually improving it.

That is the mentality in our society, isn't it though?

Kind of like the government and pharmaceutical companies' idea of medical treatment...they generally treat the symptoms rather than the actual illness/affliction....

Rather than rid this world of rapists and murderurs, they instead imprison them and release them back unto our streets to do further damage.

Rather than beat the piss out of someone who mugs an elderly person, we fine them and send them on their way.

Although I hate the idea of hurting someone for whatever reason, torture and bodily injury to those who do harm seems to be the only productive means of deterrence as opposed to the threat of a fine or short jail sentence. I am not endorsing such action, but it does seem to have proven itself throughout history.

Quite the problem we have. Get a CCW and help defend against it.

Can't you just wear protection?

I mean, we're supposed to wear protection when doing tha wild thang, so it's probably a good idea to wear protection when shooting at the gun range.
Even with hearing protection a day spent next to .357's, .44's, .308's, .30-06's, and other sharp sounding calibers is still rather tormenting. You won't be damaged, but you sure as heck won't be undisturbed.

"I know, but what most folks are worried about is the criminally minded sneaking up on people to shoot them in such a way that nobody close by will hear it. That would make it much easier to go out and murder someone and get away with it."

Most folks couldn't give a rip about a gun being silenced! It is politics plain and simple!
But if some one wants to murder some one silently they could use a 48-60 inch nylon zip tie 1/2-3/4 inch wide with a loop started and drop it over the target's neck and pull that joker tight! BTW those zip ties can be legally purchased all day long at your local HVAC supply house! The only legit silencer I seen was on a walther .22lr pistol owned by an old guy who only used it to exterminate armadillos at night in a little travel trailer snowbird park. I made a shampoo bottle suppressor for my .22 thinking since I did not buy anything I did not have to pay any tax. I used it on dillars 'til I learned I was wrong and immediately dropped it in the trash fire! My neighbors would love for me to have a "can" on all my guns!
Brent

Can't you just wear protection?

I mean, we're supposed to wear protection when doing tha wild thang, so it's probably a good idea to wear protection when shooting at the gun range.
No, hearing protection devices such as muffs or plugs don't stop skull conduction of the sound.

A silencer is significantly more effective in hearing protection, by several orders of magnitude.

Back