Are Silencers illegal???

Rockrz

Silencers have NEVER been illegal!
I saw this quote at the end of someone's message...and it made me think because all my life I've heard that silencers are illegal.

Are they legal, or illegal?

Depends on what state you live in. In NY, I believe owning one is a big no-no. However, if you live in places like Texas, Florida, Virginia, or Arizona.. you just have to pay a 'tax' and either have it stamped and/or registered... Not sure of all the technicalities... but owning a silencer is legal in many states.

nope... just regulated, here in the USA...

Even in WA State I can own one, but there will be h3ll to pay if I ever stick one on a firearm... Weird eh?

Legal.

Suppressors are perfectly legal.
They are an NFA Class II item, which means there are certain requirements and restrictions concerning purchase and ownership. Try your question up in the CLASS III forum here and you'll get more info than you can shake a suppressor can at.:D

See the NFA items area if you have not already. They are legal to own and use at the federal level provided the 200.00 tax is paid on them. I believe 38 states allow sound suppressors (should just call them mufflers because it sound cute and fuzzy) to be owned, you do need your chief of police to sign something saying that he know you have them (if he won't sign you can just go around via the trust method).

The 200.00 fee is a one time deal for each NFA item you buy (if you sell it the buy needs to do the same thing), depending on your sate you can also buy short barreled shotguns and short barreled rifles doing the same thing..... Oh yeah Machine guns are the same deal!

You have some reading to do!

This photo is from AAC on where suppressors are legal:

aac_map.jpg

To prove even further that they are legal, here is my TAC-16 on my H&R Ultra Varmint. I couldn't post this if they weren't legal.:p

Ultra-Varmint_TAC-16.jpg

Silencers should be encouraged in all places and mandatory in some, like ranges.

(I feel the same way about loud pipes on Harleys. Donning flamesuit.)

Sincerely,

A guy whose hearing is damaged enough, thank you very much.

I wish they could be deregulated. A lot of days I've spent at the range would have been a lot more pleasant if the folks next to me would have had cans on their gear. It would be a heck of a help for first time shooters to be less intimidated.

I wish they could be deregulated. A lot of days I've spent at the range would have been a lot more pleasant if the folks next to me would have had cans on their gear. It would be a heck of a help for first time shooters to be less intimidated.

If your buddies at the range would pony up the $200 transfer tax or buy a suppressor from a governmental agency, (which wouldn't require the $200 tax), then your ears would be spared.

If your buddies at the range would pony up the $200 transfer tax or buy a suppressor from a governmental agency, (which wouldn't require the $200 tax), then your ears would be spared.

Or, if our government didn't make sparing our hearing costly and more trouble than buying ammo, our ears would be spared.

crosshair - but don't lose that paper....man, don't lose that paper! cause sure as heck the BATFE will and then it gets real expensive.

dwc1973 crosshair - but don't lose that paper....man, don't lose that paper! cause sure as heck the BATFE will and then it gets real expensive.

Tell me about it. The ATF supposedly has the NFA registry down to a 2-3% error rate, down from the high of around 50% they had years ago. Though it would be just my luck that my ATF NFA records would be the ones in error.:rolleyes:

They're legal in SC, I fired one at a gun shop about two months ago. Mounted on a H&K USP .45ACP. Remarkably quiet.

if our government didn't make sparing our hearing costly and more trouble than buying ammo, our ears would be spared.
Can't you just wear protection?

I mean, we're supposed to wear protection when doing tha wild thang, so it's probably a good idea to wear protection when shooting at the gun range.

Back