Are Premium Loads Worth It?

I thought the premium loads were manufactured better for functionality. Better QC, machines and all that.

Yet I found this very interesting. A Winchester 40sw 180 FMJ which is a Personal Protection budget line. On YouTube a ballistic test showed 16" of penetration and good expansion. I bought two boxes and shot one for functionality and stocked the other box. It was $20 for 50 then.

I bought a couple boxes of 124/125gr [?] XTP heads. Loaded to 1040 fps. Done, not buying factory. These feed in both my carry guns. Keep it simple.
If I hit the ''SOB'' center mass once or twice, I don't worry much about the bullet.

I am sure the premium loads are given better treatment and higher quality control. Maybe that justifies the cost somewhat.

I have posted before that my uncle was a Ft Worth cop for 28 years and an investigator in the D.A.s office till his death. He was my shooting partner and hunting buddy.

As a cop he worked burglary, robbery, auto theft and homicide. I think he liked homicide best. He said most murders were someone mad at someone else. Once the killing was done they weren't mad anymore. They had got it out of their system. Robbery was dangerous. The robbers would fight sometimes because they knew if caught they were going to prison for a long time.

We talked about bullets and round performance. I quizzed him about it all the time about it. He told me 45 rounds were very effective. So were 357s. He killed one man on duty with a 38 special loaded with round nose lead bullets. He killed the guy with one shot. I asked about 22s. His words, "those are bad mothers. If they don't kill you outright then you die of pneumonia 6 months later in the hospital". He liked the 9mm with hot loads and some times carried one himself.

I asked about shotguns. He saw several shot with shotguns. Most were shot with #4 or #6 shot. He stated most of the time it was a home owner who grabbed their hunting shotgun and just loaded what they had on hand. He said at across the room it was devastating.

So that was sorta the point of my thread. You really don't have to spend a dollar+ per round to have effective ammunition. Putting the bullet (any bullet) were it goes is 9/10ths of the job.

That is a good question. By reading about premium rifle loads they are given an extra amount of attention in brass prep, powder charges and bullet selection and the price they sell for over standard loads reflects that. I am sure the same extra care is used in the more expensive handgun loads. Here is the link to the gold dot loads and a description from speer of the care they use in making these rounds.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_prsnl.aspx

This from Hornady.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-Duty/

Last edited:
Hi Lohmam. Yep thats from the makers of the rounds. But it is obvious they want you to get the impression that these rounds are loaded with extra care and attention to detail. Low flash powders and nickle plated cases for reliable feeding. Rubber tipped bullets too. Sounds like good stuff to me.

But we are getting off track. My original post and in other post I have stated I was asking about bullets. Not factory ammunition. I load all my own ammo. And I don't need to be told about Mass Ayoob and not using reloads. I have heard it all before. If you are justified to shoot the matter shouldn't even come up unless you load some sort of exotic exploding bullet or super hot load. Remember I had a cop uncle to quiz about this. Plus a bunch of cops I used to compete with. I have been around cops all my life. And we all talked guns.

And I am not trying to promote one bullet over another. I am asking opinions from you guys to see if you think the higher priced bullets are significantly better than run of the mill hollow points and worth the extra money. I do have a box of Speer Gold Dots in 32acp. You know how many rounds of it I have fired? One. The stuff is too hard to find and expensive when you do. I have no problems popping of a hundred rounds of FMJ. Its cheap. And even cheaper since I now reload it. And I know it functions in my gun and feeds and extracts perfectly.

Last edited:
it is obvious they want you to get the impression that these rounds are loaded with extra care and attention to detail

Do they actually state that though? Are the rounds checked for consistency more often then other rounds? Aside from the components used is there actually any difference in the manufacture? Good advertising (or bad depending on your view on advertising) can give you a lot of impressions without actually making a statement to those impressions.

In answer to your question I expect the differences are minimal if you are talking a broad category. Bonded jacketed hollow points that prevent separation are likely more similar than not. If I had a round that fed well in my chosen firearm with minimal failure I would be comfortable with it regardless of the "newest and best".

So is there a difference between Hornady Critical Duty and other hollow points? Sure there likely is. Is it enough of a difference to matter? Absent using a round with known and documented failures I doubt it. That being said the case of the suspect whose jacket stopped multiple rounds from NYPD officers would give me pause for concern if I believed I was using the same round those officers were.

Lohman I remember the story about the jacket but I thought it had been shown to be false. I found this.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/06/03/claims-carhartt-jacket-stopped-nypd-bullets-false/

A few years ago the dallas police stopped a guy in a car and tried to shoot him through the windsheild. It was reported that the rounds they used wouldn't make it through the glass. I did see that one on the news. The guy was arrested with no bullet holes in him IIRC. I have no idea what loads they were using.

I have primarily carried the various flavors of hornady HPs in the past. I would say their ammunition has proven extremely consistent in my experience with it. I have not found cheaper alternatives to be as consistent. Neither in accuracy or perceived recoil or report. If i can hear and feel the difference there has to be a difference in velocity.

When I see some gold dots on the shelf around me I intend to try them out.

Back