Are hogs in Texas really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I kind of wish you had told me they would run me off with a pitchfork, now that idea is gonna roll around in my head for a while until my new grandson takes my mind off it. Usually when asking a landowner around here for permission to hunt we don't even take our firearms, we bring some tools etc, and talk with them maybe work some and exchange phone numbers so if they need help with something they can call, only very occasionally will they call us for help, but we drop whatever we are doing and go because knowing farmers if they got to that point it was either a test or they really needed help. Follow up with a christmas card and some summer sausage and even if we quit hunting there for some reason we still have a friend there. Don't know if I could drive all the way to Texas and work it quite that way or not, but its something to cogitate upon.

I dunno, it all seems simple enough to me. In some parts of Texas, a rancher not doing sheep/goats might see hogs as cash income, like deer but cheaper. Odds are that a pay-hunter will get some guide help, and maybe a bunkhouse.

Farmers? Different story. Hogs are a problem. So, for a helpful sort of clean-appearance fella, freebies might be available. Again, odds: An arm wave and pointing "Over yonder." Stay at a motel somewhere nearby.

Different situations? Different deal.

Hog damage is a real BIG problem

My hay meadows are constantly destroyed by hogs. Yes the grass grows back but it looks like a bomb range. You can't get a truck or a tractor through it without busting up everything. Anyone that says hogs are not a serious problem in Texas doesn't know what they are talking about, doesn't live here, and doesn't own any dirt. They tear up yards, golf courses, playgrounds, yards, gardens, in other words -any place there is dirt. You don't stop hogs, you just shoot and trap enough of them so they move to your neighbors dirt.

Tell your friend that I said he doesn't know what he is talking about, I would love to send him all of them. We can feed the world on the Texas hogs.

There is no season on hogs. We shoot them on sight, but they are crafty little buggers. My wife said she saw a "good hog" this morning. Meaning it was dead on the road. Yes they destroy your car when you hit them. They kill about anything they can get to, baby deer, rabbits, calves, other baby hogs.
About the only thing they can't eat is lead, and even that has to be in front of the shoulder, not like shooting a deer,

Get my point, they are a constant problem!:cool:

On another forum I brought up the same argument only for Wolves in Idaho. With in about 2 days I had 4 PMs inviting me to there land to hunt wolves.

Just from my very limited experience Id say the wolves in Idaho are worse than the hogs down south at least in the view of the locals. I have seen an add in the newspapers a year or so back asking for hunters to hunt there land for wolves. The same does not seem to hold true with hogs.

All that said the OP should try hog hunting! It is very fun. My first trip was in Alabama and the very first day we found a heard (is that the right word?) of about 10 hogs. It was very exciting!

Dusty Rivers, where in Texas are you?
My wife is working out of Graham right now. Her crew works within about a 3 hour drive of Graham in every direction, so she covers a lot of country. She said there are a lot of hogs around, but not so many she sees much damage. Working in the field both night and day she says she sees a hog about once a week.
I guess there are some places east of Dallas that they hogs are a big problem. At least that what her boss was saying to her.

[QUOTE: Unlicensed Dremel]taking even ONE sow out will help reduces the number of offspring. Won't eliminate the problem,[/QUOTE]

I won't pretend that the hog problem over here (Sweden) is nearly as bad as texas but, a major but

In practically all of Europe shooting a sow is considered counter productive and frowned upon, especially if they have piglets (and boars always have piglets it seems)

there are more problems with boars when they don't have their sows, they become problem pigs because of lack of direction and whatnot.

same thing as with elephants in Africa, heck same thing as with humans when you think about it

in every other hunting you always shoot the interest (offspring) first

Dusty, how many hunters have you let on your land? It sounds like none.

In Wyo if you are getting damage from animals then you either let on a bunch of hunters or you shut your mouth. You WILL NOT get a G&F damage check unless you are letting on hunters.

I would really like to know why ANYONE in Texas is getting gov money. Hogs are not a native animal and therefore not the responsibility of state or fed gov. That is wasted tax money.

As a property owner, I agree that I wouldnt want 50 hunters wandering around my property in a year, but if you want help, thats what it takes.
Until that time, its apparently not that bad of a problem.

I'm not sure if some folks will understand this but..I'll say it anyway....I have several properties here in one county in TX (ranchland)....It is mostly leased to hunters for mainly deer hunting....They shoot pigs too....(all that they see)....I am not able to let others hunt most of this property because..guess what? It's leased out....as is most private property in TX..which is most of it..besides trapping is much more efficient than hunting for hogs anyway....I receive no money from the government for damages..none.... Theres a few differences between Wyoming and Texas..Wisconsin and Louisiana..NY and Florida....

My family owns 600 acres down in Live Oak county and hogs are a constant problem rutting stuff up and such. They'll tear up a smooth pasture in a few years to where you'll loose fillings driving across it at anything but a crawl pace.

About the only overstated thing about them is that they're extremely dangerous. I've shot them with everything from 22LR pistols to 9mm SMGs and .50BMG and aside from one instance where a confused little one ran at me after I opened up with an AK, I've never been charged or felt in danger from them.

I have heard tons of tales about them attacking people and such, but I've never actually known someone who's been attacked. That being said, I still pack a powerful handgun when hunting.

Keg, I salute you.
Nothing ticks me off more than someone collecting damage money which comes from taxpayers and all they do is wine about it.
They want the handout money, but wont give anything in return.:mad:

It just seems thats the way most people are.

Just for the record, any 'subsidy' that a farmer or rancher gets, he has worked for it, either in crops, losing a crop, or damage to his investment.

'Handout' is not the word to use.

Oh, no! It's a great thread...just read the OP's posts and look at the pictures.
I just saw there was about 50 pages.... Trapping IS much more productive than hunting pigs..but there are expenses....

Keg, I salute you.
Nothing ticks me off more than someone collecting damage money which comes from taxpayers and all they do is wine about it.
They want the handout money, but wont give anything in return.

It just seems thats the way most people are.
I've never checked into it..I doubt there would be much money for me....The drought is the main problem now....I figure farmers have much more damage....

I'm gonna say....There are lots of hogs....There is a lot of damage....To let strangers on my land would just compound problems....Some folks would say..well U don't have that much of a problem then? Well it's not enough of a problem to open another can of worms.... I know enough folks that live in my area(family & friends)..to supply these folks with some hunting for free....There are no guarantees....The pigs are mainly nocturnal and they come and go....Like I said before..trapping helps more than hunting....

Reloader 28 you are wrong

Wrong, I hunt, my neighbors hunt. We hunt and trap each others places. Almost all of us have permanent and portable traps. Most popular is large corral traps so we can catch them 5 to 10 at a time if we get lucky. Hogs are very smart. If you want details try http://feederlight.texasbaors.com/
These people mostly know what they are doing and saying when it comes to wild hogs. If you want the true information on hogs, go to that forum.

I do not know anyone that makes government money from hogs. That is just a silly internet comment. There were a couple of stations where you could take hogs to, but it didn't pay for the gas to take them there. The last I read about 2 years ago was .04 to .06 cents a pound if they would take them. $8 worth of diesel for a 200# hog doesn't get you far in Texas

Places to go on guided hog hunts will sometimes take your hogs, but then you have to trap them live and have a way to trailer them. They are very dangerous to move around with out specialized equipment. It is against the law to trap them and release them just any old place.

I wouldn't presume to tell you who to let on your land. Most hog hunting has to be done at night. That is when you find them, rarely during the day.
When you have horses, cattle, equipment, barns, and houses in flat areas having anyone that you do not know and trust is a very dangerous. I wasn't looking for any sympathy. My point is hogs are areal problem in Texas. We have a couple of million of them running around here and there. If you don't have hogs, you have no clue what damage they can do. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back