Are gunsmithing screwdrivers worth the cost?

Buy quality and you pay a bit more, ONCE. Buy cheap crap and not only will you probably have to buy it again at some point, but you'll also need to get/repair screw heads and finishes.

Quite whining about a handful of dollars today and buy something that will be the right tool for the job and last the rest of your life, and your kids lives as well...

I'm a firm believer in quality tools and cheap food. :D

If you are real serious buy the Grace screwdriver set. They've lasted me the longest.

For range trips I keep a set of Winchester screwdrivers that are hollow ground because I may need other than flat screwdrivers for my scopes.

Yes they are. I have put a gouge in Colt Royal Blue twice, once on a Python and once on an SAA. Leaves you heartbroken and feeling stupid. I’ve had a Chapman bit set since the 70’s, and Brownells bits and individual screw drivers in the last couple decades. Also have a few I made for a specific purpose. They are kind of like files, seem simple, what’s to know? But there is some wisdom to be imparted from someone who knows their stuff.

Are hollow ground screwdrivers worth it? Yes. And you can get a small set that will do just about anything you need to and many things you don't need to for a relatively inexpensive price from Midway or Brownells.
Do regular flat/beveled screwdrivers work? Sure, but they work differently than hollow ground blades.

Flat ground screwdrivers wedge into a slot and fit tightly and bear on the top corners of the slot, forcing metal away from the slot and out from the slot opening, eventually leading to the screwdriver camming up out of the slot as you apply torque. Hollow ground screwdrivers bear against the BOTTOM of the screwdriver slot and exert pressure inside the slot and force metal horizontally in the bottom of the slot, not outward, so they don't open up screw slots and cam out of the slot as easily.

Now, you can do whatever you want to with your own guns, and I see a lot of guns that people have used whatever tool they had handy to work on their guns. But as a gunsmith I have to make sure I don't vandalize my customers' guns if I want to see those customers again. And I do want to see them again, because repeat business is good for a business.

I get that some (most?) quality ones are hollow ground. Seems like a tight fitting regular flat head should be just fine.

If you use regular tapered screwdrivers you WILL mar the screw heads. It's just a question of how many you're willing to mar until you buy a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. Save yourself the trouble and buy them first.

If you are real serious buy the Grace screwdriver set. They've lasted me the longest.

For range trips I keep a set of Winchester screwdrivers that are hollow ground because I may need other than flat screwdrivers for my scopes.
Winchester screwdrivers are cheap Chinese screwdrivers.

They are cheap but work for range jobs. i have 5 different range bags and it's a easy way to insure I have the right head for the variety of emergency jobs that may pop up. At least non of them have broken, like Chapman's. I never could get a set of them to stay together.

Back