Are gunsmithing screwdrivers worth the cost?

veprdude

I get that some (most?) quality ones are hollow ground. Seems like a tight fitting regular flat head should be just fine.

Kind of depends on how much you care about the firearm your working on. If it's a beater a plain old flat blade will get it done. A professional set of gunsmith screw drivers isn't all that expensive & you'll always get better results using the proper tools.
"All tools are hammers except for chisels, they're screwdrivers" :)

Regular screwdriver blades are tapered. You may get by with them for awhile but sooner or later you will mar your finish and/or booger up a screw. You don't absolutely have to buy gunsmith screwdrivers but you do need quality hollow ground screwdrivers. The gunsmith sets have more bits that you will need.

My preference is towards interchangeable bit screwdrivers. Right now, I'm using mostly Brownell's and Chapman bits. I like the Brownell handles and Chapman bits, they aren't completely interchangeable, but they get the job done. Check out their websites.

Good advice !!!

Regular screwdriver blades are tapered. You may get by with them for awhile but sooner or later you will mar your finish and/or booger up a screw. You don't absolutely have to buy gunsmith screwdrivers but you do need quality hollow ground screwdrivers. The gunsmith sets have more bits that you will need.
Good advice and sadly, some folks have learned a hard lesson by not spending just a bit more for a set. They fit the slot perfectly and don't walk out ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Unless they are paying a decent sum for a good set, my answer is no. A lot of economical (made in china) products just pretend to be gunsmithing. They don't really know what it means. A have a Wheeler set that have the bits twisted under torque. The steel is too soft.

True that general purpose driver bits are taper ground, but it is not that hard to grind them into proper profiles. Too much work? I found bits that are rated for impact drive are pretty good, even the economical types. The only problem is they don't have a lot of sizes to choose from. Well some grinder work will fix it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of sets, as I only shoot pistols, and many sets have a lot of bits that are no use to me, and some don't have the tiny ones for sights.
That said, you can buy single bits and handles from Chapman, they are easy
to work with. You will need to have a good idea of what sizes you need, but
the tapered commercial drivers are a risk to damaging your weapon

I learned a long time ago, good tools are worth the investment.

I use a Snap-On racheting screwdriver with interchangable bits, mostly.
I picked up a good set of the hollow ground screwdrivers also for the stuburn screws.
Sometimes it helps to give a couple light taps with a hammer to help jar the screw to loosen it.

If really stuburn, or somewhat rounded out screws, i'll put a dab of valve grinding compound on the screw driver tip. Helps it to "bite " into the screw.

Penetrating oil & time are your friend!

Bought the standard Magna tip set from Brownells many years ago.
Added to it as needed over the years until all the holes are full, plus
a box of specialty bits. Absolutely worth it.

I bought a set of 8 from Bonanza Sports Mfg. in Faribault, Minn. many years ago and never regretted it.

NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle

Not if you buy Grace. They are junk. They are soft and I don't believe they are hollow ground, they are just painted to look that way.

They are worth it.

Chapman bits are said to be great. (I have not had any, personally.)
Brownell's bits are very good.

Wheeler bits are okay.

Grace screwdrivers are ... easy to break. I really wish I could stand behind Grace and pump up a small American company. But all I can really say is that their warranty and customer service are great -- but that's because I've had to use them, multiple times.

If you're like L. Boscoe and don't like the 'universal' sets, go poke around on the Brownell's website. They occasionally offer gun-specific or category-specific Magna-tip sets, like "S&W revolvers", "US revolvers", "Marlin lever actions", "Winchester rifles", etc.

I like the idea of the bit sets, but most of the stuff in the sets I already have in automotive grade like Torx and Hex (Allen). I'm leaning more toward fixed handle screwdrivers since I don't need most of what's in the kits.

The Forster ones look nice, but expensive. I'm placing an order for some S&W magazine parts from Midway so I was hoping to get them from there since I'm already getting free shipping.

Back