Are Glocks more likely to jam because of limp wristing than other top brand semis?

I've seen more 1911's get limp wristed jams than glocks. That could be because I shoot more 1911 than Glock.

The 1911's with 18lb+ recoil springs seem to be the most prone to limp wristed jams.

Not trying to bash Glocks either, but I have experienced many failures to feed while "limpwrist" testing Glocks. Sig Sauers OTOH, tend to feed regardless of limpwristing (there are always exceptions of course). I consider such tests important, for example, what happens if your hand gets injured in a shooting and you cannot hold the gun tight? In that case, I'd rather go with a design that is less susceptible to "limp wristing".

Tamara's explanation is...

Right on! If the limp wrist acts as a shock absorber instead of a resistance to the force of the recoil the probability of a malfunction (FTF, smoke stacking, etc.) is increased. I have been able to get a variety of FTF's on SIGs, Glocks, Rugers, a variety of 1911's, CZ'z to name a variety of guns. If a gun FTF's as a function of "operator malfunction" then perhaps the gun in question needs a new owner as opposed to the other way around.

Actually,

The equation you want is: (M1+M2+M3)Vi=M1V1+M2V2+M3(V3+V2), where:
Vi is the initial velocity of the gun, 0 if possible
M1 is the mass of the projectile, always positive
V1 is the velocity of the projectile, positive
M2 is the mass of the glock's frame, positive
V2 is the velocity of the frame, negative
M3 is the mass of the slide, positive
V3 is the velocity of the slide, negative

V2 is used to soak up the recoil that the slide does not eliminate(the term M3V3 is the recoil of the slide, actually a lot more complex due to varying speeds due to the spring, but it will suffice for this equation). M3 is multiplied by both V3 and V2 because the slide also moves with the frame from the recoil not absorbed by the recoil spring (which is equal to M3V3).
Basically, you find the velocity of the bullet, and the velocity of your slide and the masses of the bullet, slide and frame, and you can figure out the recoil of the gun you will feel, which is equal to (M2+M3)(V2).

Kharn

The lighter frame of the glock would allow it to move with the slide more quickly than a heavier steel frame with the same amount of limp wristing. Since the lighter frame is less resistant to move with the slide, and lighter framed gun would be more susceptible to limp wrist jams and short-cycling; therefore, the glock is more suscpetable to limpwristing than other guns. Their recoil springs are also stiffer than most - 17 lb spring in 9mm and 40. 1911 9mm springs are 14 pounds and the stock 45 spring is 16. Stiffer springs would also contribute to limp wrist failures.

[Edited by jp2us on 04-12-2001 at 03:55 PM]

Exactly right!

Another vote for light frames.

The light frame will more easily move in the opposite direction of the bullet than an aluminum or steel framed weapon.

Back