Are Glocks more likely to jam because of limp wristing than other top brand semis?

Sling Shot

I am not trying to knock a Glock, but I hear a lot of people talking about limp wristing a Glock, and the limp wristing is causing stove pipes and brass being spit in their face and lord knows what else. So the question remains. Do other semi pistols like Sigs, Hk's, CZ's, and Beretta's experience the limp wristing syndrome as much as a Glock does? Or is it that there are just in fact that many more Glock owners reporting problems, and the first analysis of their problem is limp wristing? I have always wondered if the limp wristing was a flaw with the Glock. I really just do not know.
Sling Shot

I am no expert on Glocks...But the two I owned both 36..30
would fail to feed sometimes when fired with one hand or with out a strong grip..I am sure will have different experencies..but that is the reason I traded mine was due to this.

Gary

i'm not an expert on limp wristing because i've never limp wristed a pistol and caused it to jam. from what i hear all polymer pistols are more likely to jam from limp wristing. i don't know if this is true or not. i never worry about it though. i own 3 glocks and shoot them more than any other pistols. when i got my first glock i remembered hearing people say they will jam from limpwristing so i held a very loose grip on the gun with basically only one finger holding on to the gun and it wouldn't jam. i've been practicing more recently shooting just weak handed with my glocks and i don't have a very hard grip on my glocks, again they never jam. as long as you lock your wrists when you're shooting you'll be fine even with a less than perfect grip.

Any recoil-operated firearm...

...is susceptible to this phenomenon. There is a school of thought that says that polymer-framed ones are more susceptible due to the alleged recoil-absorbing "flex" of the polymer frame.

In my years of shooting Glocks, I've experienced one FTF from the first round off a full, tight new mag; other than that, the seven Glocks I've owned and the literally dozens that I've rented, borrowed, or test-fired for customers have been 100% reliable. Of course, so have non-.380 SIGs, HK P7's and full-size Berettas.

The only time I've ever had a FTF in a semi was in a G17 but it was a rental so probably had crappy mags. It Happened twice. I've never had a stovepipped before...I've even tried to cause it to happen in my G19 (off hand, loosened grip, non locked wrist) it just won't do it.

"Limpwristing", what a coincidence. Today at the range, I let a 6-yr-old kid (with the assistance of my neighbor, the kid's grandfather)shoot my G21 and G17. Both Glocks failed to cycle, due to the six-year-old's inability to provide enough resistance. As a matter of fact, he had a pretty difficult time just reaching the triggers. The G21 is compensated (not ported, but really compensated) and the G17 is just a plain ol' G17. The G21 recoiled somewhat less than did the G17.

I've had large, strong men limpwrist my Glocks, if they're inexperienced in shooting Glocks. As much as I love my Glocks, I do see this as a design deficiency. (Not a defect, per se, but a design weakness)

I've tried to purposly limp wrist mine and couldn't get them not to fire either. Mine are 9,s, maybe it happens more in the larger calibers.

Tried limp wristing my G27 firing one handed with both my right and left hands. I did this with two mag fulls and it cycled reliably. The only time it jammed was its initial 100 rounds firing with two firm hands.

Whatever auto you shoot keep those wrists locked!

Yes, but so does my 1911. Most 9s are very tolerant of this but the Glock seems to be about like the 1911 in .45. Most 9mm guns do not have a problem with this but the Glock seems to. It is a non issue if you just know how to shoot a gun in the first place though.:) If you have a problem you may just need to invest in a cattle prod or body guard.:):) Is the E=Mc2 type deal, no weight in the frame to resist the slide in recoil so best have some other resistance.

I've fired untold thousands of rounds out of my G17 and it's never had a FTF in my hands.

My wife picks it up, and it fails (stovepipes) almost every time.
I have to assume it's limpwristing.

My G17 will FTF if "limp wristed." I let my mother shoot it, and it malfunctioned on almost every shot until I had her hold it more tightly with both hands.

If I hold it lightly with a "girly man" limp wrist (That's not easy for me to accomplish! ;) ) it will *sometimes* jam.
FWIW, it seems less prone to malfunction with "+P" ammo or heavier bullets than with standard velocity 115's.

Also, check your slide release spring. If it doesn't have enough tension in it the slide will lock back after firing.

If you have taken the trigger out, put in a new connector etc. the spring might be accidently compressed. To test, see if the slide release has proper bounce when you flick it (do this with the slide off).

This happened with mine. When I put the tension back in the spring, I had no more lock backs.

good luck

FWIW, it seems less prone to malfunction with "+P" ammo or heavier bullets than with standard velocity 115's.
That's because the +P ammo has more recoil to begin with.

The gun is recoil-operated, which means it needs X number of foot-pounds of recoil energy to send the slide all the way to the rear against the weight of the recoil spring, which then sends it forward again. Anything you do to reduce that energy, such as using your wrist as a "shock absorber", means the slide has less energy on tap to overcome the tension of the recoil spring and may not go all the way back before starting forward again, thus causing malfunctions.

I used to own a G19. On rare occasion there would be a FTF. I have never been one to limp wrist, until I read it in this forum. I remember that the rare times sometimes coincided with my practicing with my left hand. Maybe the off hand grip just wasn't there. It only happened 4-5 times.
Since then I have intensionally limp wristed with a Sig P239 as well as in a couple of Berettas (92 & 96BM). I can't make them jam no matter what I do.

HK USP's--both full size and compact in all calibers-- stovepipe every second round or so when fired by my wife. She NEVER has this problem with Glocks.

limp wrist + mild ammo = jam

Lot's written on this subject before, do a search.

PROBLEMS:
Any pistol with a strong recoil spring and mild ammo held in a limp wrist can have this type of falure. If you put hot ammo in a glock it should cycle for an old arthritic grandma. Of course "the bic lighter of handguns" I mean GLOCKS , seems to be prone to this.

It may be because they have strong springs that are designed to last a long time under hard service. As the bic lighter fans, ooops!, "GLOCK" fans, will tell you they are durable guns. Lots of ammo out there is pretty tame compared what the glock was designed handle. Lots of defense ammo is loaded mild for "Faster follow up shots and reducing over penetration" assuming it doesn't jam from limp wristing.

SOLUTIONS:

On the other hand, whomever taught whomever to shoot that is experiencing limp wrist jams must not of stressed the fact that YOU ARE SHOOTING A DEADLY WEAPON FOR PETE'S SAKE, PLEASE HAVE A FIRM GRIP ON IT, THE LIFE YOU SAVE COULD BE JENNIFER LOVE HEWITTS!

If the spring is too strong try hotter ammo.

If you have problems with a weak grip, pick up a hammer or a shovel, or a pick and do some real work for a change! It'll do ya good. Your wrist and grip will tighten up in no time. You may also want to see a tailor to see about getting that lace removed from your undershorts.

-ddt

I'm a manly man
with a manly plan
to hold my gun as firmly as I can
and eat green eggs and flan.

Having failed to duplicate this "jam" even when firing a .40 Glock with a thumb and single-finger-on-the trigger grip, I can't help but believe that there is some OTHER factor at play, causing a few specimens of the Glock to misbehave.

It's either a design defect causing symptoms in a certain percentage of the guns, or a specimen defect cropping up in an unacceptable percentage of the guns. Just my opinion.

At least the H&K P7 series has a built-in, objective, testable and repeatable standard. It must be held with a certain minimum grip to keep the squeeze cocker activated. Betcha that thing would still fire if held with 20% LESS grip than required to make it fire. (You could test this by installing a weaker squeezecocker spring first.)

I once shot a G27 with Win White Box 180 Gr ammo. I had several FTF until I held it in an almost "death grip." Later I fired a couple of G27s with 155 gr and lighter bullets and experienced no problems with them. I don't know if the 180 gr ammo made it more difficult to function or not. I have taken some of my 1911s and held them loosely and with the off hand and even held on their side with a loose grip and never had one malfunction when I was doing those things. I conclude that the Glock is more likely to suffer FTF from limp wristing than other guns I have used. Not a large sample size, but that is my experience. I would be interested to know what weight bullets were used in the FTF due to limp wristing. I have never had a problem with my G26. I think the next time I take it out I will try to get it to malfunction by limp wristing. Jerry

Hardeharharhar! Unless your ACTUALLY shooting nuclear rounds, then E=mc2 has no bearing on limpwristing or any other characteristic of shooting firearms.

Uhhh, Walter,

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anyone refer to Einstein's equation for general relativity anywhere in this thread. (Which, BTW, is properly typed as follows: "E=mc^2";))

Edit:Ah, my bad.
Radom, you mean F=MA?;)

Back