Are full size 9mm 10-round guns worth it?

TCW

I ask this because I live in Kali (10 rounds max) and can't carry (Hence, I desire full-size). If limited to 10 rounds, are full size 9mm 10-round guns worth it, or do they lose their appeal without hi-caps?

I think they are very much worth it. The 9mm is a solid round, and is much less expensive than most others. Since you can't carry, then I'm guessing that you are talking about a range gun that you'll keep around the house. If so, then round count (capacity) isn't a realy big issue in my mind, but cost per round would be.

Just my $0.02. I'm sure there will be other opinions that will differ.

Didn't you stock up on pre-ban, grandfathered, standard capacity magazines before Kali's ban went into effect? ;)

Yes!

Yes full size 9MM's are worth it for your intended use. Nothing shoots like a Browning High Power, CZ-75 or full/mid size Sig 226/228/229 or HK USP, P7M8, etc. They are all great guns that deserve a home in your gun safe or nightstand. Go for it!

Pilot

Yes the full sized guns are worth buying. Besides, you might get the chance to move to a free State in the future and the ten round limit won't be a factor.

I have to agree... If you like the handgun - go ahead and get it.

You just might be able to find full capacity magazines in your house... Say your old family home in Nevada... you go home to visit and WOW! I forgot I had those old magazines!
Or that Gunshow in Vegas... You bump into an old friend that was holding them for you... those old magazines are hard to keep track of arnt they?

9MM Full Size Hell yes

I don't carry a 9mm But have several, as I like to shoot The 9mm. They are reliable, accurate guns that are priced good and are very inexspensive to shoot. Also if you can't hit what your aiming at in 10 rounds, you need to practice more. They also make great protection weapons. And as stated you never know when you'll find that Hi Cap Mag Aunt Sylvia gave you!

Tony Z

like the other guys said, if cheaper practice ammo is a concern and you are comfortable with it go ahead, 11 rounds of 9 ought to do the job

BUT, unless you can't get a hold of real mags (instead of those cheasy plastic based politico engineered 10 rounders like the cz75 comes with) wouldn't 15 or more be better for just in case? or wouldn't ten bigger rounds be better?

i know about all the marshall and sandow and the fackler numbers but when i look and hold a 9mm round vs a 45 round the cromagnon in me says "use big club to kill big dinosaur"

being able to get two hicaps with my cz75 was the straw that broke the camel's neck in my decision to get one, if i had been limited to ten rounders in that gun i would have gotten the 40auto

there is just something wrong to me to use any tool at less than it's full ability due to some safetycrat's liberoengineering it

if you don't mind shooting 45 for a little more, why not use 11 rounds of it out of a glock21, or cz97? you would be able to be legal in kali with either one

Look, it's systems analysis. What do you intend to do with the weapon? Target?? then any number of rounds is fine. Defense? More is better, 10 ought to be sufficient. Remember that in 98% of the cases, just pulling the weapon out will set the bad guy a-running. ALSO remember that your first objective when armed is to AVOID a gunfight--running is better than explaining. So if you like the feel and looks of the weapon, buy it--10 rounds or no...

10 rounds is fine. Compared to rifles and shotguns, there is no appreciable difference between a 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.
If it comes down to actually shooting, you will need control of your gun for multiple shots. And a full size gun gives you better control.

My favorite full size 9mm (or any size 9mm for that matter) at the moment is a Springfield Loaded, capacity 9+1. With a slightly stronger than factory recoil spring, the recoil is nonexistant. It shoots pretty little groups even in rapid fire. When funds become available, I may slap some night sights on it and start to carry the sucker.

I bought it with intentions of eventually converting to 9x23 but now I am having doubts about screwing with it.

a full sized gun enhances the bullet's performance. If you don't use it for carry, then yes, full size 9mm 10-round guns are worth it. If you like, you can get a Sig that offers 3 different calibers in one pistol. The P229 is mid-sized or compact, but it can be converted to several calibers. So can the P239, which is much smaller than the P229. One important thing to remember is that you must buy the 40S&W or .357Sig version of the gun in order to be capable of switching to 9mm. If you buy the 9mm version of the Sigs, then you cannot move up to the larger calibers.

Hell yes they are worth it.

I really like the .45 and have no experience with the.40 but for quick follow up shots you can't beat a 9mm. -ddt

Actually the reason I asked the question is because I wanted to add a CZ-75BD to the arsenal (something the wife could shoot too)

Great choice TCW

The CZ 75B is my favorite full sized 9mm (except for the Sig 210). For me, the CZ 75B is more accurate than the full sized Sig Sauers (226,220)--that is saying a lot BTW as Sigs are usually very accurate too. I am pretty sure that if you buy it, you will LOVE it! ;) I take it you are buying the BD model because you want a decocker? Are you not comfortable carrying "cocked and locked"? Just curious.

Well, I can't carry (Kali). Since my other semi-autos have de-cockers, it made sense to stick with the same formula. At the range (and other places) it makes no difference...one can cock the hammer for all single action, and in a jam you just need to grab and shoot...no safety to think about (or forget). Besides, the half-cocked feature of the CZ makes the DA/SA transition even easier than my Sig P220 or Ruger P97.

Oh really?

They work pretty well for me (and every other Sig owner). Maybe you can elaborate on that highly intelligent comment.

Back