Are "flash hiders" of any use while hunting?

Point of order, folks!!!!

Most flash hiders do not work well as a muzzle brake. And muzzle brakes don't do well as flash hiders either. Totally different things.

This is true, they are totally different things. And that is also my point of order, here. Having read the replies, there are 4 different things being talked about. The very similar names, and mis-applying the names creates confusion. SO, lets be clear about what it is, specifically we are talking about.
Because they ARE different from each other.

FLASH HIDER
This is a SOLID metal device, normally cone shaped, attached to the muzzle. It does NOT have holes or slots in the side, top or bottom. The function of the device is to physically block the view of the muzzle flash from certain angles.

FLASH SUPPRESSOR
This is a device with slots or holes (or both together). The function is to ALTER the flash signature. Gas from firing still "flashes" but the holes /slots change the gas flow pattern and "suppress" the size and shape of the muzzle flash.

MUZZLE BRAKE
These can be very similar looking to a Flash suppressor. It has slots or holes, or both, which are angled to redirect muzzle gas to reduce recoil. It can, and does change the muzzle flash, but its purpose is recoil reduction.

Many modern designs of flash suppressor do provide a degree of muzzle brake function.

SUPPRESSOR
This term, used by itself, is, in common firearms discussion, referring to a SOUND Suppressor. The type of device also commonly (and slightly inaccurately) called a "Silencer". These devices DO radically alter the muzzle flash, but their purpose has nothing to do with the flash, their purpose is to reduce the sound.

Several of the posts in this thread use the term "flash hider", when it is clear from context that they should have said "flash suppressor". A couple of the posts say "suppressor" when they should have said "Flash Suppressor".

As I understand it, the principle behind the flash hider is to cool the expanding gasses to a point lower than incandescence which, apparently, a flash hider does. The classic flash hider is familiar to most shooters as a conical affair which seems to do a fair job in cooling the gasses to below that point.

My understanding is somewhat different, and has nothing to do with cooling the gas. A flash hider, the conical affair, doesn't cool anything. nor does a flash suppressor.

A sound suppressor (aka silencer) does cool the gas somewhat as it relies on delaying the gas's exit via baffles and chambers. The gas does cool somewhat (not much though, I would think), but the intent of the device is to delay the gas, not cool it.

SO, to sum up, if it is SOLID, it is a Flash HIDER. If it has holes/slots in the sides, top, or bottom, it is a Flash SUPPRESSOR.

The cone shaped thing on the end of many WW II era weapons is a FLASH HIDER.

The slotted thing on an M14, M16, M4 carbine, M60 machinegun, etc., is a FLASH SUPPPRESSOR.

The muzzle brake and the sound suppressor do have uses during game hunting. The flash hider and flash suppressor do not, as game animals generally don't locate your position from muzzle flash. People do that.

If you happen to bump a hunting rifle into the dirt, the flash hider may avoid a barrel clogged with dirt. Other than that, its only a matter of it looking cool.

BTW, It comes threaded on Inland's "Advisor" pistol. (It also allows for anyone that has paid their $200.00 NFA tax for a suppressor to screw it into place).

I thought it was to break the wire on the C ration box. 1/1 Cav 67/68.

A number of people thought that, which is why we replaced a number of bent barrels on M16s, and led to the "heavy barrel" profile (HBAR), which, ironically is only heavier on the part of the barrel you can see...

A flash hider does reduce the flash the shooter sees, in low light conditions. Much more useful in situations where the "game" shoots back than in ones where it doesn't.

Much more useful in situations where the "game" shoots back than in ones where it doesn't.
Doesn't the "game" (and his comrades) see the flash from the front? In other words, does a flash hider actually show muzzle flash when pointed in the direction of the target, or only from the sides? I ask because I don't know...flash hiders were on those newfangled M14's but we were issued M1 Garands so I have no experiance with them.

Back