Are all 870"s the same?

If you have not looked at a "new" Express lately I recommend it. The latest ones I have seen are a bit better finished than some over the last few years.
As for the stocks, everyone raves about oil finish, rub some boiled linseed oil on it.

Also, take a "newer" express off the rack and wipe an oily rag on the barrel. Now tell me what you see and think?? ....

The brown stuff that comes off is the grease they come in from the factory, not rust, if that's what you're implying.

I've had my 870 Express for about 6 months and it's digested about 500 rounds with no issues. Is it a pretty gun? No, but it works and that's all I expect for $300.

The rusty stuff i seen on a 3.5 super mag express was after a thorough cleaning which included pulling all foreign material from said rough barrel with the bluing on it...

A week later, the poor devil was on the same rack as a cheap Mossberg 500 and a Savage .22 bolt action...

It turned a bright pitiful orange as rust formed in each pit on the barrel but the other 2 stayed black... The Remington was not a new gun when I got it but had not sat out in the rain neither...

Brent

Living with rust !!!

The brown stuff that comes off is the grease they come in from the factory, not rust, if that's what you're implying.
Why do you need grease on a barrel? The reason is as hogdogs has described. The barrel finish is blue with what I call, phonograph finish or tiny little grooves that where rust can start in the Valleys. You can wipe them down, from here to the end of time and you will still be lifting "rusty" grease. .... ;)

Fellas, don't take my word for it, take a look for yourself. I have bought two of these for my Grandsons and I'm still fighting this problems with them as well as spent shells not ejecting. By the way, I recently got a new Wingmaster and there is no grease on the barrel, only a light film of oil. ;)

Be Safe !!!

I don't have an Express, but I've been wipeing my old Wingmaster down with "ED'S RED" forever, and anything and everything else, and no rust.

"bing" it, check it out, and try it, cann't hurt...:cool:

I don't have an Express, but I've been wipeing my old Wingmaster down with "ED'S RED" forever, and anything and everything else, and no rust

That's because your Wingmaster has a real blued finish instead of the matte crap on the Express.

So, I guess the answer to my OP is the 870 Wingmaster is a good shotgun, and worth what you pay for it. While the 870 Express is not, and you will get what you pay for....:eek:

Yes !!!

So, I guess the answer to my OP is the 870 Wingmaster is a good shotgun, and worth what you pay for it. While the 870 Express is not, and you will get what you pay for....
The Wingmasters are excellent shotguns and as for the Express, as long as you know what you are getting and can live with it, then they are just okay. .. :cool:

Be Safe !!!

Having both I can't tell a hill of beans difference in performance between them. The express has a blue finish over sandblast so it is more work to keep it from trying to rust on the outside. Its also a great base finish for a spray coat type finish to stick to so you have a much more rust resistent gun than the wingmaster.

So, I guess the answer to my OP is the 870 Wingmaster is a good shotgun, and worth what you pay for it. While the 870 Express is not, and you will get what you pay for....

Not at all. The Express is well worth the cost, but if you have the bucks spring for the Wingmaster.

870 rest

They ship them with that brown **** on them, I got to new ones with it on them, I called rem and was told it will come off with a rag and them clean it good with oil, Thats been 3 years ago, Know rust.

Quote:

"Would ceracoating an 870 remove the rust problem? Externally at least"

Certainly would.
The 870 Express is a good value for the money.
Wingmaster prettier.
Got 3 870 X, a W.M.
2 Mossy 500s.
All are good, 870 X more durable, rugged.
870s are by far the most issued police s.g. for a reason.

The Wingmaster and the Express are the same basic design.

The finish and wood is far better on Wingmasters. Some of the parts that are milled steel on a Wingmaster are cast powdered metal on an Express. The trigger group on a WM is metal, plastic on an Express.

There was a finish process used on Expresses (and SPS rifles) at one time that would rust if the sun went behind a cloud. I don't think they are still using that same process.

Some of the parts that are milled steel on a Wingmaster are cast powdered metal on an Express. The trigger group on a WM is metal, plastic on an Express.

This is true of Express models made in the last 15 years.

I have an Express that was made in 1995. It has a machined extractor and metal trigger guard.

I can only respond to the QC of the Police Magnum as explained to me by a Remington employee. When I bought my used Police Magnum over eight years ago, I called Remington and asked about adding an extended mag. tube and some other things I was considering. The guy in the repair department said the shotgun was put together in another part of the factory separate from the Express manufacturing area. The parts were hand fitted and the materials such as springs were of a higher quality and the recoil pad was a " Limbsaver" iirc. That's all I remember. I haven't compared the parts of each model. I decided to leave the gun as is.

My Dad always told me: "if you don't have anything good to say, keep your mouth shut". But I guess I can't. If you have a 15 to 30 year old wingmaster, congratulations, you own one of the finest weapons ever designed. If you have an early express that functions perfectly, your a lucky individual and I'm very happy for you. But if your looking at a new gun sitting on a shelf in a gunshop right now, don't buy it. Especially if your in a position where this is going to be your only shotgun for hunting. Because more than likely your going to experience problems that could wreck your hunting season. If you can afford a Browning BPS, buy it. If you can't buy a Mossberg 500. They aren't pretty but at least they are going to function as designed and your not going to be left high and dry after opening day of Duck season. The beancounters that have destroyed the quality control of the Remington 870 should be rounded up and sent to Guantanamo Bay with the rest of the criminals.

I hate to rain on the anti-Remington parade, but the newer Expresses are a step up in finish. And the only issue they ever had was a few rougher than normal chambers that could be easily fixed, or if you contacted Remington they would take care of it. They never destroyed the quality, they built it down to a price point which is what 90%+ of buyers care about first, last, and always. AI&P knows more about 870s than most of the rest combined, and he hasn't stopped building on Remingtons at all.

the only issue they ever had was a few rougher than normal chambers that could be easily fixed, or if you contacted Remington they would take care of it.
Remington used a finish on Expresses and SPS rifles a few years ago that would rust if the sun went behind a cloud. There was a huge outcry and I expect they've changed the formula by now.

They never destroyed the quality, they built it down to a price point which is what 90%+ of buyers care about first, last, and always.

If you want the old school polished blue steel and walnut, they still make it in the Wingmaster. It just doesn't cost $300 any more.

If you want a shotgun for $300, then Remington (and everybody else) had to make some changes to meet that price point. Birch instead of walnut, matte steel instead of polished blue, etc. The trick is to meet the lower price without impairing function, which Remington has done fairly well with the exceptions mentioned.

Back