Are .38Specials effective enough for home D?

So you mean like a "dial a gun"? A wadcutter as the first round, a FMJ as the second, a JHP as a third, a FMJ in 357mag in the fourth, and a JHP 357mag as the 5th. :-) hehehe

Albert

.38 spl?

I love the round (the .38 spl is my second favorite cartridge....45 ACP is my first). The .38 spl is so easy to control (less recoil than 9mm IMO)! In a 4+" barrel, using the best Cor Bon load I have seen OSS percentages as high as 80% (M&S). To answer your question, the .38 spl is an adequate HD cartridge (but not a great HD cartridge). If you want the best, you need to look at 9mm (91% OSS), .45 ACP (94% OSS), .40 S&W (96% OSS), and .357 magnum (96% OSS). Of course, if you do not believe in the M&S research, all of my post is meaningless.

I use 38sp. for home defense. I load my own to 700fps with 158gr LWC. I have children in the house, so carry-through is a huge issue. I don't want to hit a perp and have it go through him and a wall and have the unspeakable happen!!
I don't own a 38sp revolver, only .357 mags. I mean hey, what if I want to hunt deer with them. I just get out the box of 180gr SJHP 357 mag rounds and go..............
Happy Home Defensing.............

I really like the fact that a .357Mag serves double duty. I can load it from soft 38's on up to "Make you deaf" .357Mag loads. One of the most versatile guns out there.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm sold on the 38 as home D. Who knows, maybe my gf will move up to a .357...

Albert

Back