Arbor Ding?

Remington cylinder pins can show signs of gas cutting too because their cylinder face is flat and doesn't have a gas bushing. But the gas cutting is usually not nearly as deep as with the Colts. However the Colts are known to be less affected by fouling due to their slightly looser tolerances.

Dang, ain't this mentioned in the "sticky". I feel just green as grass. Now I need to drag all mine out and look. I think we got a new way to grade the piece!

at what point does this render the pistol unfireable? Like to know for future reference. My 1860 has just a little bit of a line, not hardly even noticeable. Thanks for bringing this to the masses, though guys. I would never have known about this.

Hello everyone, Just a thought..the older Colt S.A.A. had the removable cyl. bushing. These have a groove around dia..which I supposed to allow removal by fingernails..but I wonder if this groove also is machined there to reduce gas cutting?..Didn't Colt in fact call this area the "gas ring"?

at what point does this render the pistol unfireable?
AS far as I know, never.
Gas cutting is a self-limiting process it starts, reaches a point & then stops permanently. Like the other poster I had a DW, but in .357 S&W Magnum, & it showed gas cutting almost immediately. Once it stopped (20+ years ago) it just did absolutely nothing at all no matter how many thousand rounds I fired.

I just checked all of my 1860s. I have one that has an undetermined problem that affects the timing and has only been fired less than three cylinders full (I'm being generous here). The arbor on this gun has a bright spot where the defect appears on all of the other guns.
Yup, I still think it is gas cutting.

See it after 60 rounds

I can just see the cut beginning at 60 rounds fired in my new Pietta 51 Navy.

Apologies for bringing this Zombie thread back to the top, but it has been very helpful to me and I wanted to send it up so others might see it as well.

I stopped shooting one of my BP revolvers a few months ago after noticing this same damage. It had upwards of 500 rounds through it and has given me many afternoons of fun, but I was afraid to continue shooting it because of this wear pattern.

Now I know what it is and why it happens. I'll be taking it out again tomorrow.

This is a great forum.

And btw, this thread ought to be a sticky.

Back