Ar15 Scope advice

I had a scope on my AR very similar to the Vortex Strike Eagle.

It was a 1x4 power, had a dot with a circle that was lighted, even though the dot seemed small I could not shoot better then 1 MOA and most of the time 1-1/2 MOA with that scope on my AR at 100 yards.

With the SWFA/SS and the same AR I could shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards

Another thing I did not care for was the 1/2 MOA adjustments of that scope, the same adjustments the Strike eagle has.

The adjustments on my SWFA/SS are 1/10 of a mill, you can really dial and fine tune those adjustments in, plus the fine mil-dot crosshair really lets me place my shots well.

I like my SWFA/SS scopes so much I'm thinking about scoping two of my other rifles with them.
The StrikeEagle can be used with out the lighting as it has a etched reticle..

Have a bushnell ar22 on a marlin 22 that I really like for the money. Nikons have awesome clarity for the money. Vortex is getting rave reviews. I think youll do just fine in the $500 range.

The StrikeEagle can be used with out the lighting as it has a etched reticle..

My 1x4 could be used without the lighting also, as a matter of fact I never found the lighting of the reticle to be much of a benefit.

I'm sure the Strike Eagle is a nice scope, for me the SWFA/SS fixed 6 power fits my requirements better and I believe their reticle is etched.

My 1x4 could be used without the lighting also, as a matter of fact I never found the lighting of the reticle to be much of a benefit.

I'm sure the Strike Eagle is a nice scope, for me the SWFA/SS fixed 6 power fits my requirements better and I believe their reticle is etched.
The lighted reticle is a benefit during low light.Part of the allure for wanting a modern day 1-something X scope on a AR type rifle,is the ability to use that rifle in low light for dusk or dawn hunting or even in a home defense or low light cqb or cqc role.Its quickly becoming the replacement for individuals who want that up close and red dot-ish speed as well as magnification to reach out a bit all in one optic.

With todays technology you can now find 1 - 8 and 1 - 10 power scopes. March makes illuminated versions which are fairly light, 19 ounces. With these you no longer need to mount a RDS offset, because they are a true 1 power, but you can run 8X mag. Less gear = less weight but also means less batteries to keep up with. Less to go wrong, and one less thing to bang against an object.

Thanks for the insight but I already ordered the 10X by SWFA and have it mounted.

Just can't shoot with it until next week :o

Kwikvette, I sure would be willing to help you out, send that unit to me and I'll put it through a few paces for ya.:D

Of course I hope you would not expect to have it back in a week.

Tuesday is almost here!

I'm pretty sure I'll need a good amount of ammo....have to get these 3 sighted in :o

cid_20151025_221915_zps9s26eiyk.jpg

Winchester match was on clearance; at 7 bucks a pack I couldn't resist! I bought them all out though :(

The Noveske with the SWFA scope (which I'm going to try for the first time today) already has a flat-faced 2-stage Geissele trigger in it :cool:

Well today was a productive day shooting considering it was about 55 degrees and windy. Took a few more rounds than I had hoped to zero but once I got it, it held it well.

One thing I'm not particularly fond of is the eye-relief required to gain a good sight picture/alignment. This can be subjective as I like to be fairly close to the charging handle but not exactly nose-to-handle-close....but also not so far away. With some practice of course I'll get used to it.

Light came in bright and clear which surprised me for a scope of this price. Turrets had a nice, tactile feel though there was a tiny bit of play between each click.

I do think that once things warm up a bit (and once I learn to reload) I can squeeze out some tighter groups. Is that wishful thinking?...

Back